Read-Only PST Files
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Read-Only PST Files

Wink Read-Only PST Files

Is there any way to make Outlook open a read-only PST file? When you burn a PST file to a CD, or change the properties to read-only, Outlook refuses to open it. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything that can be done about it. If you've got any ideas, I'd like to hear them.
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

Make a batch file to copy the file to a temporary location, remove the read only attribute, and open it in Outlook. Then put it in the SendTo menu.

[code]
    @echo off
    copy %1 c:\windows\temp
    attrib c:\windows\temp\*.* -r
    start c:\windows\temp\*.pst
    </pre><hr></blockquote>

That means that everytime you want to open the PST file, you have to copy it to your harddrive . . . correct?
    . . . and the monkey pushes the button.

[quote]Originally posted by Iridium56:
    <strong>That means that everytime you want to open the PST file, you have to copy it to your harddrive . . . correct?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right. The idea behind this is that one guy who works here has a 750MB Mailbox being stored on the exchange server. That's no good. What he wants to be able to do, is burn his old mail to a CD, and be able to browse it off of a CD. When you try to do this in Outlook, if gives some errors which equate to needing write access. I need a way or a program that will allow him to browse that mail off of a CD. What will probably end up happening is me telling him he has to copy it to the HDD and remove the Read only access, but that's not what he wants to hear.

Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

You could always change the attributes and use a CD RW
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Originally posted by Poseidon
    You could always change the attributes and use a CD RW
    08-22-2001 02:44 PM
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You can also export the emails to a txt document then burn to cd. Will be able to read in word, notepad.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    08-22-2001 02:44 PM

Ooops
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Originally posted by Poseidon
    Ooops
    You are the resurrector!

I'm not sure the client machine will see anything other than read only attributes if reading through a CD-Rom. Which could leave you SOL if the guys workstation doesn't have a RW drive.

Dave

Read-only PST file.

"[ Right. The idea behind this is that one guy who works here has a 750MB Mailbox being stored on the exchange server. That's no good. What he wants to be able to do, is burn his old mail to a CD, and be able to browse it off of a CD. When you try to do this in Outlook, if gives some errors which equate to needing write access. I need a way or a program that will allow him to browse that mail off of a CD. What will probably end up happening is me telling him he has to copy it to the HDD and remove the Read only access, but that's not what he wants to hear.]"

If i understand what you are trying to do then why don't you just create a new PST file (on his PC) which you will be able to view in the folder list (in Outlook) and move the desired data to the new PST file, he would then be able to view the desired data at any time and will also be able to remove the data from the exchange server.

Stu1701

Re: Read-only PST file.

Originally posted by Stu1701
    If i understand what you are trying to do then why don't you just create a new PST file (on his PC) which you will be able to view in the folder list (in Outlook) and move the desired data to the new PST file, he would then be able to view the desired data at any time and will also be able to remove the data from the exchange server.

Stu1701
    He started this project on 08-22-2001, I hope by now he has formed a solution with or without our help. Someone Please close this thread...

OOPS, didn't notice the dates.

You know what? As long as people are looking for answers to this question, I don't think the thread should end. Personally, I'm still looking for more ideas as this is a problem for us. The batch file idea was theoretically good, although it still leaves info on C: which is not so much good for us. We're not supposed to allow users to store anything on C:, temporary or otherwise. Unless the batch file can be coded to delete the temp files when you're done, however, I don't know how to do that. As for burning to a rewritable, doesn't it still give it the Read only attribute if the session is closed?

To summarize, I'm still looking for ideas. Help!

Originally posted by Missmimi
    You know what? As long as people are looking for answers to this question, I don't think the thread should end. Personally, I'm still looking for more ideas as this is a problem for us. The batch file idea was theoretically good, although it still leaves info on C: which is not so much good for us. We're not supposed to allow users to store anything on C:, temporary or otherwise. Unless the batch file can be coded to delete the temp files when you're done, however, I don't know how to do that. As for burning to a rewritable, doesn't it still give it the Read only attribute if the session is closed?

To summarize, I'm still looking for ideas. Help!
    The idea is that if you have a problem and you want some help with it, start your own thread, and with your own issues and questions...this thread should be closed because the originator hasn't been back for almost 2 years.

No piggy backing allowed…