Overclocking

Thread: Overclocking

Overclocking

Hi all,

I'm in the process of overclocking my XP 2000+ (2Ghz so far) Nothing fancy just lots of fans and a solid copper Heatsink.

It would be handy to know how much of a diffrence this is all making. Which benchmark software would you recommend? It would be nice to compare scores to other systems so popular software with scores posted on a site would help.

Cheers,

Paul
    Lighthouse engineering since 1698

www.futuremark.com

3Dmark03 and PCMark2002. And games FPS...
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Cool I'll give it a blast tonight.

Cheers

3DMark 2003 results have no relevance to CPU speed, it is a video card benchmark. That said, 3DMark 2001 SE is much better rounded. SiSoft Sandra has a few good synthetic benchmarks. Has a database of results from other systems to compare against.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Yeah, I like Sisoft Sandra for this too.

Try PCMark from the same company.
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I recommend sandra and 3dmark 2001
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Tattoo addict

Re: Overclocking

Originally posted by paul_kingtiger
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of overclocking my XP 2000+ (2Ghz so far) Nothing fancy just lots of fans and a solid copper Heatsink.

It would be handy to know how much of a diffrence this is all making. Which benchmark software would you recommend? It would be nice to compare scores to other systems so popular software with scores posted on a site would help.

Cheers,

Paul
    I have 3 oc'ed Athlon boxes here,and I agree about Sandra,I like it the best,but IMO,there are so many variences in systems,benchmarks are not all that important.except just to see the differences caused by the tweaks made on your given pc.

what are you running the ddr at? and what cpu cooler do you have? and what kind of temps are you getting?do you have a palomino or tbred?

and btw, your 330 mhz oc is pretty good.
    Last edited by crazyman; August 24th, 2003 at 03:46 PM.

Hey,

mainly I wanted to benchmarch so I could compare diffrent levels of overclock. The chip is a Thed and although everything else runs ok the CD rom drive is very shakey (which makes me think the rest of the IDE drives are also struggaling.

The ram is plain old 133 sdram but the motherboard locks the memory bus at 133mhz. With DDR fitted (max board speed is pc2100 but I'm getting pc2700 as cost is the same) you can lock the memory or overclock (hence getting pc2700)

The cooler is a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ solid copper cooler with a 80mm fan, there are also 4 case fans, fan on the Northbridge cooler and one on the geforce 2 card.

If I unlocked the chip I think I could get around the IDE bus problems but I've heard that unlocking anything later than the T-bird chips is a pain in the ***.

Also I'm going back to W2K, XP hides to much from the end user leaving me with little to tweek

Paul

Tattoo addict
    well the tbred is basically "unlocked already",many motherboards will see it as unlocked and let you change the multiplier,and the tbred runs cooler than the pal being 1.60v,
    and I have a V7 & V9 & V11 on my 3 amd boxes here,I like them just fine,and how did you get 2ghz ? that chip runs 1667mhz stock.and if you are putting in pc2700 but your board runs at 266,then all you will get is 266,unless you have some good cas2 ram that oc's well.

I got to 2Ghz by upping the FSB, but as I said the IDE bus didn't like it very much. I did work short term but I started to notice problems after several days of use. Moved the FSB back and problems went. Any faster than 2Ghz and windows was crashing / would not POST

The Volcano is a beast I saw a review on it at www.dansdata.com and found one at my local computer fare. I'm very happy with it, although it can be quite loud, I've found by running the fan at medium it's much quieter and performance loss is tiny.

I know about the 266 top end for my mobo but I'm buying a gig of memory (2x 512mb) and as the price is only about £1 more, it made sence to get the faster ram. that way if I upgrade to a mobo with a 333FSB I'm sorted

Tattoo addict
    Originally posted by paul_kingtiger
    I got to 2Ghz by upping the FSB, but as I said the IDE bus didn't like it very much. I did work short term but I started to notice problems after several days of use. Moved the FSB back and problems went. Any faster than 2Ghz and windows was crashing / would not POST

The Volcano is a beast I saw a review on it at www.dansdata.com and found one at my local computer fare. I'm very happy with it, although it can be quite loud, I've found by running the fan at medium it's much quieter and performance loss is tiny.

I know about the 266 top end for my mobo but I'm buying a gig of memory (2x 512mb) and as the price is only about £1 more, it made sence to get the faster ram. that way if I upgrade to a mobo with a 333FSB I'm sorted
    cool I have a 266 mobo and I put in 2700 and 3200 in it for the same reasons and the "might as well thing".

thanks for the conversation.

Dan