Video Card Recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Video Card Recommendations

vicayra

Exclamation

Well, your current card is might be enough, depending in how you use your PC. As for a new video card I would recommend a GeForce 4 with no doubt. If you want to have DirectX 8 support go with at least a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 because the GeForce 4 MX line is a faster GeForce 2 with a little more features. The GF4 Ti 4200 is faster than a GeForce 3 Ti 500 and is supposed to cost around $200. The GF4 MX is still a good buy if you look the reviews at Tom's Hardware and Anandtech because at almost every test it's faster than a GF2 Ti and in some even on par with a GF3 Ti 200. So for the price you get a good card. As for the ATI line, they're good but I prefer nVidia's offerings as they update their drivers more often.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I know to stay away from the MX line (all gamers should know that) because the GF4 does around 126 million polys per second while the GF4MX only does 36million

The very lowest that I am gonna go is the GF3 TI500, cause I want some whoop *** games.

Anyway, the new system (building either next week or the week after) is gonna be P4 (I already have a T-bird) 1.6 with shuttle board w onboard RAID, 40GB HDD, 640mb pc2100 DDR and whatever vid card I decide on.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I use an Elsa MX card and its fine and stable with system running at 148fsb (266fsb Athlon on abit kg7), I know thats not a serious o/c compared to a lot of folks out there but it gives the system a bit of a boost. But would dearly love to buy a newer card....

I tried a Hercules 4500 Kyro2 and it seemsed slower than the MX!!! ended up going back to MX.

Am useing dirX8.1 and the XP det drivers on win98se and performance is fine and stability is fine.
    'We apoligise for the inconvienience' Gods final message to his creations.

I have the ATI Radeon 7200 64 meg board just because the 8500 wasnt out yet I get great results with it. I found the drivers are very good and up to date when they need to be updated, I had the nvida gforce board and got rid of it because of compatibility issues with it ATI has been around for quite some time now I've been building PC's for 6 years now and I use the ATI line with all of them except if the customer really wants the nvida board. Look at what they both can do and what you really want to do with it if you want a great board my advise would be go with ATI 8500 it works awesome with AMD but then again its only my opinion. If nvidia keeps comming up with new drivers all the time then mabe there drivers arent that good from the get go. Just a thought.

I think that I have finally decided on the GF 4 TI 4400, it seems to be the best bang for the buck. I am looking at the Visiontek one right now, its $279 USD and is $5 for shipping, can anyone think of anything bad about visiontek as I have not had any personal experience with their products
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Creative GF3 Ti200 is excellent value for money in the UK. I'm enjoying an older game at 1600 x 1200 32 bit (Mobile 1 Rally Championship), when my Hercules GF2 GTS Pro could only manage 1024 x 768 16 bit without going into jerk-o-vision. In the UK it retails for £142 (approx $199). The Creative overclocks on Abit KG7 and some MSI boards to Ti500 specs without getting hot or producing graphical glitches. Your GTS Pro will still get good money on the 2nd hand market, so buy now while you can recoup $ from the old card.

[quote]Originally posted by Mayet:
    <strong>The geforce Mx cards have worked well for me for what the customers have purchsed them for....there has been no complaints about the abilities of the cards or drivers...ok so there not the best cards but for the price and availability they do the job....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Feel I must insert my $.02 with the price bit. You can get Radeon Le s at <a href="http://www.tcwo.com." target="_blank">www.tcwo.com.</a> A little Ocing and tweaking and they run great.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

I got the TI4400 nice card

[quote] as for getting a geforce 3 ti200, if you plan to overclock, i would strongly reccomend the gainward GeForce3 PowerPack !!! Ti/450 (contrary to what the name suggests, this is actually a ti200 card) as this can overclock to beyond ti500 speeds.

<hr></blockquote>

Ya know I'm really having a hard time deciding between the Ti/450 or the Ti/550 (I think it is). Gainward just has some monster cards

PZ

I'd recommend a S3 Virge DX. They have superior performance when combined with the power of today's MMX enhanced processors such as Pentium MMX and AMD K6-2 with 3D-NOW! For awesome game performance it is recommended that you have at least 32 megs of ram. Also, get DIMM's, they're much faster than EDO ram, and are the cutting edge of technology.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

Wink

While the Virge (particularly the DX) is a commendable card, nVidia's NV1 (featured on the Diamond Edge 3D) is a notable 3D accelerator with the added benefit of sound processing all on the same card in the new "PCI" format.
    When purchasing "DIMM"-type memory, wait for the highly anticipated PC100 type which promises performance gains over standard PC66.
    When all else fails.....FDISK!

READ PEOPLE READ! I ALREADY GOT THE GEFORCE 4, THIS TOPIC IS FINISHED!

[quote]Originally posted by Radical Dreamer:
    <strong>READ PEOPLE READ! I ALREADY GOT THE GEFORCE 4, THIS TOPIC IS FINISHED!</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.