Can I network when using a KVM?

Thread: Can I network when using a KVM?

Red face Can I network when using a KVM?

I bought a KVM switch box and cables today and connected my two computers through to monitor, keyboard and mouse thorough it and also activated the network using a crossover cable between the NIC ports. The edge computer has XP only and the client computer has been booted to the XP partition. I ran the network setup wizard on both but cannot dial up from the client computer. The edge computer(the one I am using now) shows a LAN icon in the taskbar at 100mbps together with my Internet connection icon but although the network is enabled on the other computer there is no icon in the taskbar. Although I thought I enabled ICS when I attempt to dial up from the other computer I get a message saying no dial tone.

I notice the IP addresses do not match in the third and fourth octets, should I configure them manually even though XP is supposed to support automatic DHCP or is it because I have my computers sharing monitor, keyboard and mouse via the KVM? Should I use my hub and patch cables instead of the crossover cable to connect the two NICs? Having completed a Windows 2000 Server networking course I am slightly embarassed about this
    Last edited by MorseLady; September 15th, 2003 at 03:59 PM.

The kvm shouldnt give you any problems we used one on two servers at my last job. Is the cable good? Do the subnets match?
    Last edited by nunob; September 15th, 2003 at 04:05 PM.

Here is a good tutorial on ICS for XP maybe you'll find something there.

Everything is connected, the host computer says internet connection is connected, shared and firewalled and on the client computer I have two icons in the notification area, one for LAN and one for ISP and when I try to access web pages the ISP icon is active but I keep getting page unavailable or DNS error messages and cannot access web pages. I seem to remember having this problem at college and the tutor writing proxy settings on the board.

ADDED LATER Seems like ME is cleverer than XP because when I booted to my ME partition it seemed to set up the network connection and ICS automatically and without any XP disk yet I still cannot get ICS working on the XP partition. I am posting from that ME partition on my client computer.
    Last edited by MorseLady; September 15th, 2003 at 07:47 PM.

If you can connect from the Win ME partition, there is nothing wrong with your connection. There is some setting on the XP OS that is stopping the connection. Configure the lan card the same on the XP partition as the ME one, since ME is working for you. Also i am sure you know this, but the built in firewall in XP could cause problems for you if it is enabled.

Of course, how stupid of me to forget that about firewalls. I had both ZoneAlarm and the XP Firewall enabled on that partition but of course the Firewall on the edge computer looks after my security!

As soon as I disabled the Firewalls, the LAN icon came up and I was in and am sending this post from the XP partition on the client computer.

So, end of proble, both the host computer and both partitions on the client computer are fully network and ICS enabled.

Thank you scott

No Problem.