Norton AntiVirus this morning... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Norton AntiVirus this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Verisign Certificate Expiration Causes Multiple Problems
    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...tid=172&tid=95
    Install the new Verisign Root certificate.
    https://getca.verisign.com/update.html
    Great links Arch. Reading through though, the effect seems to be on the Verisign Commericial Software Publishers! And, if you check the list in your Content/Certificates/Publishers, etc. You will notice it is not just Symantic wihich expired, but MS and others will show up as Expired. Geesh, so this was not a Symantec problem to begin with: especially when you see it affecting MS products as well. So, did Versign drop the ball on this one (I wonder when they realized that this particular certificate expired: after the fact????)
    So, it looks like consumers are not the ones who should download the above update, but the Commercial Publisher's "Servers" which should. Right??

THANK YOU.

I've been running around ragged the last two days. We were able to trace it back to Norton, but couldn't figure out what the issue was. Ended up installing Corporate 8.1 client on most of the key computers and that seemed to take care of things. I knew it had to be an auto update.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Thunder
    THANK YOU.

I've been running around ragged the last two days. We were able to trace it back to Norton, but couldn't figure out what the issue was. Ended up installing Corporate 8.1 client on most of the key computers and that seemed to take care of things. I knew it had to be an auto update.
    Again, it looks like it was not Symantec's fault as pointed out above, and an apology from Verisign:
    We hope that this notification helps you limit the impact of the expiration of the old Global Server Intermediate Root CA on your SSL users. If you have further questions, If you have further questions, contact VeriSign support at [email protected] or 1-877-438-8776.

Thanks but I cannot claim the prize for that one.

The problem was posted on several other forums due to the popularity of the programs used and someone else was kind enough to provide the solution and links.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprex
    Any one having any issues with Norton AntiVirus 2003 as of last nights patch? Word and Excell are now slow when opening, and in general any file you right click on freezes the PC for 30 sec.

I have comfirmed this one every PC in my office running XP Pro and Nav 2003.

Turning off Norton AntiVirus solves this problem.
    I noticed this with XP PRO and Office 2000 yesterday myself. Unchecked the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" in the advanced tab of IE Explorer options (as said to do by Symantec, URL above) and that fixed my problem to.

I have been playing with AVG 6.0 (Free) with my notebook and I like what I see.. looks like my desktop is next. On that note, is AVG 7.0 good/worse? I'm not opposed to buying the full version...

My Win 2000 machine got hella slow early thursday morning and started trying to contact verisign. I removed norton as it wouldn't run at all as I thought I had a virus and was going to put fsecure or some other sample AV on to look and now I get an blusceen at boot and an instant reboot, even from safe mode. Goptta reload everything and it wasn't even near time to do so. DAMN!!!!!!!

Oddly, my other machine has no problems...
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; January 9th, 2004 at 08:34 PM.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Symantec's workaround is not really good practice. It works, but NOT checking for revocation is a BAD idea.

As soon as the computer is able to download the updated revocation list, the problem is resolved. So, yeah, some systems can resolve on their own.

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Valet
    Symantec's workaround is not really good practice. It works, but NOT checking for revocation is a BAD idea.

As soon as the computer is able to download the updated revocation list, the problem is resolved. So, yeah, some systems can resolve on their own.

m
    I just enabled the option (certificate revocation) and so far everything is OK.... SW 2003 is off my computer once I have time to clean it out and install AVG 7.

Since this seems to be a good time to talk about alternative AV packages, has anyone ever tried Panda?
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

I have not had one Windows problem since I did not reinstall System works 2003 three, I always did the custom install to avoid system doctor loading
    I think the Asus mother board helps and perhaps not running system works which includes NAV 2003
    I think Symantek shot themselves in the foot , I here 2004 is worse especilay their activation scheme
    Oh well I got AVG 6 free edition complete with updates, Works better than NAV
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Since this seems to be a good time to talk about alternative AV packages, has anyone ever tried Panda?
    I'm using it, I like it. Doesn't seem to slow the system down. BUT THAT TALKING PANDA BEAR HAS GOT TO GO!!!

Sometimes people ask me for AV package alternatives. One of the vendors I use always has Panda.

Talking Panda?
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Why does it seem everyone is still putting the blame for this on Symantec?
    Verisign has actually apologized for this if you read the prior posts!! And for those thinking about AVG, I would check Orangeman's last post, as well as other member's experiences in the AV section of this forum. $.02.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...04010810205113

EDIT:
    Here it is if you're interested:
    http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=54871
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; January 11th, 2004 at 09:48 PM.

It's not a Symantec issue. You're absolutely right. It just seemed like an interesting time to bring it up.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

It's not a Symantec issue. You're absolutely right. It just seemed like an interesting time to bring it up.
    And YOU are right. It IS a good time to bring it up. Symantec has truly been a let down in the last couple years. Norton, since Peter, had always been great, but now>>>well, now I don't know. And: it's sad, because I am also looking for reliable protection from viruses, without screwing up my whole system, or, MOST importantly: the systems of my customers. The 2004 versions have been a calamity, and something they MUST do something to recover from. The fact that they now charge for phone support from the get go is another mark against them. Truly sad when a software vendor see money as more important than what their product is SUPPOSED to do. Peter Norton must be really ashamed at this turn of events!!!!