Nvidia vs ATI - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nvidia vs ATI

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    ..I've gotten a 9600 Pro...
    .. I think thats best $ vs performance

Who the hell posted a link on this not so long ago ?- Search defeated me yet again they had something called framebucks ? or similar ? (as per confus-ed ..), it'll be 3 months or so out of date price wise but it did a direct comparison of dx9 capable cards vs cost ... I hope someone bookmarked it ? I ought to have ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed

Who the hell posted a link on this not so long ago ?- Search defeated me yet again they had something called framebucks ? or similar ? (as per confus-ed ..), it'll be 3 months or so out of date price wise but it did a direct comparison of dx9 capable cards vs cost ... I hope someone bookmarked it ? I ought to have ...

F-bucks.

It is badly out of date now though.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    F-bucks.

It is badly out of date now though.
    It says on each table
    Price evaluation 12/2003
    Though I'm sure its older too, why the hell don't people date web stuff ?

It says on each table
    Though I'm sure its older too, why the hell don't people date web stuff ?
    It wouldn't be so bad except there has been some major price jockeying in the midrange lately. The 5900nu and 9800np are both essentially the bottom of the highend market, but their prices have come quite a ways down. From a video game junkie and overclocker, a 5900 nonultra is the sweet spot right now at $161. Bios flash and a bit of overclocking, you have a part as fast as a 5950 but with half the ram.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Some math for somebody then !

We added the scores from all of the benchmarks and then divided that result by the cheapest street-price (without tax) we found in BizRate

Confuse the issue

So... ilovetheusers had it narrowed down to the NVidia 5900 or the ATI 9700 Pro.

Isn't that the question?...which one between the two?

jeez...
    Could not hit the curveball

Quote Originally Posted by deepblu
    So... ilovetheusers had it narrowed down to the NVidia 5900 or the ATI 9700 Pro.
    Isn't that the question?...which one between the two?
    jeez...
    He was basing that choice on the idea that they were similar in price and performance. There is a $40 difference in price. Also, a faster video card has moved very close to his price range, so I suggested the 9800p as an alternative.

BFG GF FX 5900nu - $161 - Better DX 8.1 performance than the 9700p, lower DX9 performance. Differences in DX 9 performance range from half the framerate of the 9700p to a few percentage points less.

ATI Radeon 9700p - $200 - Lower DX 8.1 performance than the 5900nu, but better DX 9 performance, so probably will be better for future games. ATI currently has superior drivers.

Sapphire Radeon 9800p - $229 - Roughly equal DX 8.1 performance to the 5900nu and better DX 9 performance than than the other two. Shares the same drivers as the 9700p and is the fastest card of the 3.

The 5900nu can be modded to a 5950. The Radeon 9800p can be overclocked to 9800xt speeds in most cases.

Personally, the 5900nu is a great buy, but if I had $229 to spend right now, I would choose the 9800p hands down for its better speed and excellent drivers.

research

He was basing that choice on the idea that they were similar in price and performance. There is a $40 difference in price. Also, a faster video card has moved very close to his price range, so I suggested the 9800p as an alternative.

BFG GF FX 5900nu - $161 - Better DX 8.1 performance than the 9700p, lower DX9 performance. Differences in DX 9 performance range from half the framerate of the 9700p to a few percentage points less.

ATI Radeon 9700p - $200 - Lower DX 8.1 performance than the 5900nu, but better DX 9 performance, so probably will be better for future games. ATI currently has superior drivers.

Sapphire Radeon 9800p - $229 - Roughly equal DX 8.1 performance to the 5900nu and better DX 9 performance than than the other two. Shares the same drivers as the 9700p and is the fastest card of the 3.

The 5900nu can be modded to a 5950. The Radeon 9800p can be overclocked to 9800xt speeds in most cases.

Personally, the 5900nu is a great buy, but if I had $229 to spend right now, I would choose the 9800p hands down for its better speed and excellent drivers.
    Very well put
    Could not hit the curveball

My personal opinion is to go with ATI. But be careful you do get what you pay for. I purchased an ATI 9800Pro. I almost went Spahire but decided not to becuase of artifacts problems listed on their forums at the time. Maybe I wasted a little extra money, maybe I didnt, but I am very pleased with ATI at the moment.

That being said Nvidia seems to be a solid company going through a transition lately. There was once a time when their drivers were considered superior over ATI's. Now it seems to me that the exact opposite is true. ATI has better drivers over Nvidia.

DirectX 9 support is what nailed it down for me. ATI clearly has the upper hand in this category. I Vote ATI.
    W

Considering i got it in an SE box at an SE price i think it was definatly a good purchase.

I think the ATI is the better card... it is a Canadian company
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

if I had $229 to spend right now, I would choose the 9800p hands down for its better speed and excellent drivers.
    That's the one I'm looking at right now. They had to have dropped the price on it only in the las coupple of days because I swear it was like 279. or something just a couple days back.

Saw what you posted about the dx9 and 24bit color thing. I still can't find the Maximum PC artice with the article about it so thanks! Big help.

Quote Originally Posted by inferno_gn
    Hi there,

ilovetheusers, what are you going to do with that ATI card?

I'm going to grab another mobo and cpu so can swap some things about and have my entertainment PC actually have a half decent vid card. Presently I have an ati rage fury that is having some difficulty working with the TV card so this will really work out. The GF gets the older system to replace her ailing 300mhz PC and the whole upgrade costs me an additional $120. and both of us are happy.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; February 1st, 2004 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    Saw what you posted about the dx9 and 24bit color thing. I still can't find the Maximum PC artice with the article about it so thanks! Big help.
    It is 24-bit precision has to do with pixel shaders. Its got a bunch of geeks up in arms but it appears that my kung-fu just isnt strong enough, because I still haven't seen the difference this makes in any screenshots outside of pixelshader testing applications.

Here's to fast video cards, high framerates, and a disappointing Super Bowl. (and no smiley raising a mug)

I think the article I read said it would show more later on when games like half life 2 and doom 3 or whatever else really push the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    I think the article I read said it would show more later on when games like half life 2 and doom 3 or whatever else really push the cards.
    Heh, I keep hearing this. Last I heard, Doom3 is using DX7-8 level tech and was designed for Geforce 1 capabilities. I don't anticipate a single problem running it. As for Half Life 2, I would be amazed if that game came out before 2005. Completely amazed. Considering I replace video cards every 12-15 months anyways, I deal with HL2 when it comes.