Hard Drive Partations & Checkdisk

Thread: Hard Drive Partations & Checkdisk

Hard Drive Partations & Checkdisk

Questions:

1. When my computer boots up it goes to a chkdisk screen related to Volume G: It just started doing this. It was not doing it before. I have a 80 GB Hard Drive, and partitioned as 3 drives. (C: = 14.2 GB, D: = 29.2 GB, G: = 32.3 GB)

How can I cancel the chkdisk function at boot up?

2. My next question: How can I increase the size of the C: drive without going back to a reformat and partation precedure?

3. My Next question. Why do I need the G: drive?
    ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, AMD XP 2800; with AMD XP Cool Master fan, 2-sticks Kingston 512/333/PC2700 DDR Memory; Two(2) Hard Drives-Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133, 8 MB Cache; Maxtor 40 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133; Chaintech 64 MB Nvidia g-Force 2 MX 400/200; IOmega 100 Internal zip drive; Litetron 52 x 32 x 52 CD-RW; Antec 430 W TruePower power supply; Windows XP Home.

Well?
    ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, AMD XP 2800; with AMD XP Cool Master fan, 2-sticks Kingston 512/333/PC2700 DDR Memory; Two(2) Hard Drives-Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133, 8 MB Cache; Maxtor 40 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133; Chaintech 64 MB Nvidia g-Force 2 MX 400/200; IOmega 100 Internal zip drive; Litetron 52 x 32 x 52 CD-RW; Antec 430 W TruePower power supply; Windows XP Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Many Horses
    Questions:

1. When my computer boots up it goes to a chkdisk screen related to Volume G: It just started doing this. It was not doing it before. I have a 80 GB Hard Drive, and partitioned as 3 drives. (C: = 14.2 GB, D: = 29.2 GB, G: = 32.3 GB)

How can I cancel the chkdisk function at boot up?

2. My next question: How can I increase the size of the C: drive without going back to a reformat and partation precedure?

3. My Next question. Why do I need the G: drive?
    1. you dont want to cancel it, there is a problem with it.
    2. you can use a partition manager such as ranish or boot manager
    3. because having smaller partitions means you are less like to lose stuff.

And?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    1. you dont want to cancel it, there is a problem with it.
    2. you can use a partition manager such as ranish or boot manager
    3. because having smaller partitions means you are less like to lose stuff.

And?
    1. If there is a problem, how do I find out what it is, where it is and how to fix it?

The only thing in the G drive is a directory file named WUTEMP; and there is nothing in it?

open my computer, right click on the g drive, properties, tools, error checking - check now, check both automatix fix file and scan for and attempt reocvery of bad sectors. Click start, go make a coffee and watch.

You can save stuff to G if you like.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    open my computer, right click on the g drive, properties, tools, error checking - check now, check both automatix fix file and scan for and attempt reocvery of bad sectors. Click start, go make a coffee and watch.

You can save stuff to G if you like.
    Thanks NooNoo;
    Flowers etc. for you!

I think the old-fashioned way of opening a CMD window and running CHKDSK /R is the same thing, right?
    Anyway, FYI Many Horses, a thorough chkdsk will not only fix file errors, it'll test all of the disk surface for integrity. If it finds spots that aren't up to snuff, it'll mark them off so that Windows won't ever use them again.
    Many techs warn that it's not normal for any disk to have bad spots. If you have any and they increase, failure is emminent and you should buy a replacement drive before your old one is FUBAR! Such warnings are good luck because you don't always get any warning before your data is toasted!

I build PCs for a living. The first thing I do after installing the OS, and the last thing I do before delivering the PC is to run CHKDSK /R on all partitions.

Also, CHKDSK is locked out of the pagefile. So before you run CHKDSK on C:, you should go to Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System to bring up the System Properties window. Then click on the Advanced tab, then under Performance click the Settings button, then the Advanced tab, then down under the Virtual Memory area click the Change button (Boy did they bury this, or what?!), and change the pagefile from drive C: to drive D:.
    Run CHKDSK on C:, then follow the above instructions to put the pagefile back on C:, if you like.

(If you don't know what FUBAR is, a clue is that the UBAR stands for "Up Beyond All Repair". I'll let you guess what F stands for. It's a technical term that was developed by the military to define very special situations.)

Running this command from a CMD window will stop Windows from running CHKDSK on G: at boot time.
    CHKNTFS /X G:
    I don't advise this. This is only FYI.

CHKNTFS volume [...]
    CHKNTFS /D
    CHKNTFS /T[:time]
    CHKNTFS /X volume [...]
    CHKNTFS /C volume [...]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
    /D Restores the machine to the default behavior; all drives are checked at boot time and chkdsk is run on those that are dirty.
    /T:time Changes the AUTOCHK initiation count down time to the specified amount of time in seconds. If time is not specified, displays the current setting.
    /X Excludes a drive from the default boot-time check. Excluded drives are not accumulated between command invocations.
    /C Schedules a drive to be checked at boot time; chkdsk will run if the drive is dirty.

If no switches are specified, CHKNTFS will display if the specified drive is dirty or scheduled to be checked on next reboot.

Thanks for the advice and help.