Motherboard identification

Thread: Motherboard identification

Motherboard identification

My uncle has just bought a secondhand pc, but he needs a RAM upgrade. Im not sure how to identify the board it has a VIA kt133 chipset and it says M807 and its a revision 1.0. Any ideas on how to id it would be appreciated. Cheers

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaz
    My uncle has just bought a secondhand pc, but he needs a RAM upgrade. Im not sure how to identify the board it has a VIA kt133 chipset and it says M807 and its a revision 1.0. Any ideas on how to id it would be appreciated. Cheers

Mick
    I know people on here help with that using the "bios string" that is the letters/numbers on the lower left of the "post" screen. Start the computer and as it first starts up (boots) the string will appear...press the pause button to stop the screen long enough to write down the info and post it back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaz

Mick
    If its a AMD socketA it could be a PCCHIPS.

You can find the manual if you look for your model number here. It says it supports pc100 or pc133 up too 1 gig.

Sorry, I forgot to include that you need to use the drop down under "discontinued products"

Quote Originally Posted by Larommi
    Sorry, I forgot to include that you need to use the drop down under "discontinued products"
    Yeah, sounds like PCChips to me, too. Pick up any SDRAM, preferably name brand, and you should be good to go. PCChips are known for their anomalies though, so you may want to limit the first module to 128 or 256 MB tops.

this is a good way to identify old motherboards:

http://www.biosworld.com/ctbios.htm

the free download itself is in german, but it's fairly easy to work out what it's telling you.

I just use Motherboards.org