filtering spam at the server

Thread: filtering spam at the server

filtering spam at the server

I want to have my server automatically check multiple accounts for new mail through a spam filter like Mailwasher, then store the email in seperate folders for each account so the end user can retrieve/view their email from different computers. Can this be done & how would I do it?
    "I see your lips moving but all I hear is 169.blah.blah.blah."

I think we need more info on your setup.

Are you the guy that owns/runs the mail server? If so we need details on that such as what does it run, exchange 5.5/2000 etc?

Does someone else own/run the server and you are looking at filtering it from the client end of things?

How do you check your email thru outlook, outlook express?

How many different computers are you talking about? If it is a small number like a dozen or below, then clientside software like MW would seem appropriate, but if it's 5000 users then spam filters can get complex and/or expensive.

If you like MW, but need a free solution to check multiple accounts you could check out Spampal Spampal uses realtime DNSBL lists like MW and whitelists and blacklists. It even supports being installed server side but I have no personal experience with that.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    I think we need more info on your setup.

Are you the guy that owns/runs the mail server? If so we need details on that such as what does it run, exchange 5.5/2000 etc?

Does someone else own/run the server and you are looking at filtering it from the client end of things?

How do you check your email thru outlook, outlook express?

How many different computers are you talking about? If it is a small number like a dozen or below, then clientside software like MW would seem appropriate, but if it's 5000 users then spam filters can get complex and/or expensive.

If you like MW, but need a free solution to check multiple accounts you could check out Spampal Spampal uses realtime DNSBL lists like MW and whitelists and blacklists. It even supports being installed server side but I have no personal experience with that.
    O.k., here's what we have:

1 server running Windows Server 2003 with active directory.

5 client computers all running Windows XP Professional

All computers are equipped with Microsoft Office XP Small Business.
    What I'm trying to accomplish is to have the server retrieve, filter, & store the incoming mail from the i.s.p.'s mail server for all 4 accounts, then make the email available at any computer when the user logs on with their username & pw.

One of my friends mentioned that I could use Windows Server 2003 to act as a pop server or I could setup a simple Linux computer to behave as a mail server.

I did see that there's a server version of Mailwasher, which is rather tempting, but I don't know if it'll retrieve, filter, & direct the mail per user to specified locations.
    "I see your lips moving but all I hear is 169.blah.blah.blah."

Seems like a whole lotta work for 4 accounts. I would just install that Spampal on the 5 systems and config it and you're done.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Its seems like a lot of work to me too. Office 2003 has pretty good spam detection. It might be cheaper/easier to upgrade office.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

we have ORFilter here: http://www.martijnjongen.com/eng/

not sure if it's quite what you are looking for but it does a decent job for us