NVIDIA "TNT2" M64 MODEL BIOS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NVIDIA "TNT2" M64 MODEL BIOS

OK, so its dying on PNP. So what you do is go into bios and turn off ALL onboard sound, usb, onboard lan, yada yada (if you have onboard video you will have to leave that on!)

disconnect the floppy drive, cdrom, remove all pci cards.

Now try and load windows from the hard drive only with this minimal configuration.

Overclocking is raising the clock speed of the processor beyond its rated speed. This includes upping the FSB, and the multiplier to make a 1000 processor run at say 1200. The upshot is usually heat and instability.
    If the bios allows soft clocking, that is you don't have to mess around with jumpers and dip switches on the motherboard it is an easy thing to do.

If you do have jumpers and dips on the motherboard, make sure they are set correctly.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK, so its dying on PNP. So what you do is go into bios and turn off ALL onboard sound, usb, onboard lan, yada yada (if you have onboard video you will have to leave that on!)

disconnect the floppy drive, cdrom, remove all pci cards.

Now try and load windows from the hard drive only with this minimal configuration.

Overclocking is raising the clock speed of the processor beyond its rated speed. This includes upping the FSB, and the multiplier to make a 1000 processor run at say 1200. The upshot is usually heat and instability.
    If the bios allows soft clocking, that is you don't have to mess around with jumpers and dip switches on the motherboard it is an easy thing to do.

If you do have jumpers and dips on the motherboard, make sure they are set correctly.

Ok NOONOO, I will try that tonight and give it a "whirl"! That really sounds great when "I" think that I have tried everything, and then someone has more ideas to try! That's Great! My question this time is; How do you guys sleep at night with all this stuff in your brains?!

Have a great day!
    JerryDaniel

Its easy enough, you forget stuff you don't use to often so you can learn the new stuff. As long as you remember where to find the information you have forgotten, its easy to manage.... Now where the hell did I put my coffee?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Its easy enough, you forget stuff you don't use to often so you can learn the new stuff. As long as you remember where to find the information you have forgotten, its easy to manage.... Now where the hell did I put my coffee?
    NooNoo, that is almost an Exact Quote that our University of New Mexico Chemistry Professor drilled into us back in 1976. You and he must have the same thought process! Good thinking!

Also, on the same "upscale" thinking, you were right again! I knew if turning off everything in the Bios did indeed stop the "lock-ups" and freezes, (that you suggested that I try) that I needed to turn each one back on one at a time, to see where the problem "really is". It did indeed stop the "Deep-Freeze"! and so I continued to turn one device back on and also to reconnect the ribbons to each device, again one at a time... "WA-LA"! Finally found the culprit!
    The problem lies in the "Floppy Disk Controller" that runs the 3.5 disk dirve. The drive still works however, so I decided to try another ribbon, and another 3.5 drive to eliminate the possiablity that it was either of them two items...
    It was not the ribbon, or the drive, and I only have one port to plug into for the 3.5 drive...
    As long as I keep the 3.5 disk controller turned off in the Bios, everthing works great except I don't have an A: drive...
    So, unless you have found your cup of coffee, and it had some miracles in it, that only leaves the motherboard or the processer itself. That is, unless I again am mistaken... Let me know what you think, and thanks again for all the great help!

JerryDaniel

Sounds reasonable to me - you may wish to conduct further testing by setting the controller back on and setting it to boot from floppy (disconnect other ide devices) - this should give you an error code that may help to tie it down... it wouldn't be the first time I had two cables in a row that were not good.

(PS Einstein never knew his own phone number )