Computer won't boot - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Computer won't boot

sorry for making another post but i just thought of another thing you can try.

this board i was working on wasnt getting video but the board was good and getting power, new cpu, ram, and video. i asked my friend to look at it and he started discharging the capacitors. for some reason it worked and i've made it standard prctice ever since.

just be sure to use a screw driver thats A: non magnatized and B: has a rubber handle or youll get shocked.

also be cautious cause i have had a couple blow up on me before.
    Those who say dont know, and those who know dont say

Try removing the video board, cleaning the contacts on its edge, and then reseating it. Then try booting again...
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Unhappy

You will don't like me but I had before a SiS Chipset Matsonic motherboard and....it is and intergrated video chipset. So change the motherboard or go at http://www.sis.com.tw and try finding a thing to resolve that problem.

Good Luck!

Here is my bios id number: I actually got it to boot, but it was really slow. Took out the ram put it back in and it wouldn't boot. 40-0100-006156-00101111-080893-SIS461-F

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Thumbs up

SIMMS/DIMMS/Mix? How many? Which slots? What CPU? How much RAM?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

cpu is 486 66 mhz and is overdrive. has 8 simm slots. before the problem it had 8 megs. as i speak it has two. if i take the first simm out, it beeps. if i put it back in, it doesn't, but there is still no display.

Question

Originally posted by DustinEks:
    40-0100-006156-00101111-080893-SIS461-F
    Looks like Genoa systems motherboard. But now
    that company...went out...
    Hmm...SIS461 chipset... If it's an old 486 motherboard - it's quite usual issue with videocards...

Originally posted by DustinEks:
    cpu is 486 66 mhz and is overdrive. has 8 simm slots. before the problem it had 8 megs. as i speak it has two. if i take the first simm out, it beeps. if i put it back in, it doesn't, but there is still no display.
    Make sure You have FPM SIMM memory installed - old 486 motherboards are not support EDO memory...
    Ooops.. if it's 30-pin SIMMs - You should install 4 or 8 SIMM modules at the same time...if not - it's may be source of Your problem.

Tony Vallester

Smile

well im think its time to change ur whole cpu, at least u r using it for a firewall suach i use my very old one.

try changing the simms modules by pairs in the slot 1, then discard the ones that dont boot.

I don't think it is the video card because i switched it with another one and it worked just fine. Does anybody know where i can get a genoa systems manual. i need to know the jumper settings. i got the computer to work once and when i took out the ram and messed with the jumpers it wouldn't boot again.

Messen' with jumpers will do it everytime. Does your board have any jumper markings at all? Is there a lable in the case somewhere to tell you what is what?

yes, they do have markings, an example is JP15.