Partition Hard Drive
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Partition Hard Drive

Partition Hard Drive

When installing XP Pro I tried to partition the Hard Drive. Everything went OK until I got to the option to choose a partition size. The option was for a minimum of 8mb, and a highlighted figure, that was the size of my Hard Drive. However, when I tried to alter the highlighted figure to the size I wanted to make the new partition, I found that I couldn't change it. I just had to return to the previous option of formatting and installing XP on the full drive. Anyone else found this?

Not trying to offend, but did you make sure that numlock was on? The first time I installed XP I tried to change partition size and it wouldn't change. I noticed that the numlock key was off. Windows XP install has this off by default for some reason. Just trying to help
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting. "Holy sh!t.. what a ride!"

Make sure that the highlighted part is "in focus" use the mouse or tab key. Press del to remove the figure and then type in your own.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks Guys. The NumLock was on. The highlighted Disc Size wouldn't delete. It would let me type another couple of numbers on the end of the number shown, but these deleted again when I hit the enter key. This was expected, as the number had gone to a figure higher than my Hard Drive, but I just wanted to see if I could type on the entry OK.

Was there a partition already existing... in other words did you try to create a new partition in addition to the already created primary partition? If so, it would indeed prevent you from overtyping as this would be the extended partition, into which you would put logical drives.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I deleted the existing partition, by pressing 'D' then 'L'. I then took the option to create a new partition, by pressing 'C'. This took me to the option where I could see the highlighted size of my Hard Drive, but couldn't alter it.

So as far as you are concerned, there was no other partition on the drive when you tried to create one. Did you try to run setup again?

Yes, I ran SetUp several times, but got the same situation each time. However, I have got around the problem by using a Partition Program. I have set up 3 partitions. I have installed XP on a small partition, program files on the second partition, and downloads on the third partition. But what happens to the programs if I should reinstall XP?

they will need to be reinstalled.

I have a similar setup - I use ghost when I am happy everything is straight. Then if it needs "formatting" I put the ghost images back.

Thanks for your help NooNoo. I'll have to keep my wits about me for couple of weeks until I get used to where things are going. Pity the Default Documents and Settings Folder cannot be deleted. But at least my 'Send To' now sends to my new Docs Folder

Just one other thing NooNoo, when you make a Ghost Copy, does it copy all of the Hard Drive, including all the partitions, or does it just copy the partition with XP on it?

That depends on what you tell ghost to do.

I ALWAYS copy partition... this way you can add and subtract stuff using ghost explorer. If you copy the drive, then you have no flexibility.

OK Thanks. I thought, when I used a ghost boot disc last, that it only gave the option to copy the full drive.

Hi NooNoo, did you get any trouble with Outlook Express when you loaded programs onto a second partition. I realise that Outlook Express would load onto the main partition, as it is part of XP, but I found after altering my Registry settings, to load programs straight to my second partition, that Outlook Express had stopped working. I now have a bit of a mixture of programs loaded between my C and D drives, but at least things seem to be working OK, at the moment!

arrgh leave ie and outlook express alone!!

I consider them part of the os, so they don't get to move....

I do move the temp inet file cache and the directory in which oe stores emails after I have a stable, fully updated install.

I don't mess with the reg to make it auto install to another partition, I simply remember to do it that way.