aol and wan miniport adapters

Thread: aol and wan miniport adapters

Smile aol and wan miniport adapters

Is anyone familiar with AOL - DSL on Win2K? I am trying to help a friend (all the way accross the country via phone!) fix internet connex on PC. She uses AOL Broadband Blaster 8012U modem (USB connex), We've rebuilt winsocks and TCP/IP. Are now getting no errors, but cannot obtain a legit IP address with ipconfig /renew, etc. (only 169.xxx....address)
    Can ping "loopback", cannot ping yahoo, etc.
    I'm not very knowledgable about WAN miniport adapters/drivers, but noticed that she does not have "wan miniport (IP)", and a number of others that I have on a XP PC using MSN and an Arescom modem. HELP me help her if possible, I've never used, or even seen AOL - and do not know what wan miniport adapters they require (and through all her calls to them, I don't think they know either lol)

Thx for any insight...

Also having trouble finding a driver for an "other device" - Pci card, have searched \winnt\system32\drivers, winnt\inf - not found, don't know what it is that the PC can't identify. (And I can't see her computer!)
    Thx again,

I'm not sure how to sign this (first time here)

How about "displaced microsoft tech"
    I'll learn

Welcome v_1amate to WD .
    Just to be clear was this working then stopped or new set-up ?
    Did the AOL or modem come with set-up CD ?
    Can the PC see the modem (does it know its hooked to it) ?
    just a few questions to get the ball rolling .
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    Welcome v_1amate to WD .
    Just to be clear was this working then stopped or new set-up ?
    Did the AOL or modem come with set-up CD ?
    Can the PC see the modem (does it know its hooked to it) ?
    just a few questions to get the ball rolling .

It was working until I believe past Friday - then she removed some programs, and cleaned up tmp files etc. and I think, may have run adaware. Her modem is working fine - all lights , etc - and seems to get traffic in, but not out. (She has her install CD's, but her modem is working fine - and is recognized as enabled, working correctly, etc.) As of saturday she was getting winsock errors, so I helped her rebuild winsocks and reinstall TCP/IP - no errors now, but cannot login and establish a connection with AOL - !

I use dsl (MSN) - but I do not have to launch MSN at all - I can just use IE - when she tries this - she gets "page cannot be displayed" because it is relying on the aol login!!

bump
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

When you say you re installed the tcp ip stack and the winsock... did you do this?

Did she have newdotnet or similar? If so you will need an lspfix and you may have to uninstall and reinstall aol.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile tcp ip stack and the winsock(s)

I looked for spyware first, she did not have new.net/savenow, etc (although she may have in the past). Imesh could've been contributing to the issue - We rebuilt network stack, reinstalled winsocks, along with uninstalling multiple AOL's, and reinstalling v.9- could never ping anything past 127.0.0.1 - I think it was her modem not being installed correctly in the end. (Although we removed/reinstalled it also! --). Finally, because she had no media to consider reinstall or clean install, etc....I assisted her to get her data backed up, and she formatted, purchased and installed XP and everything went smooth - all connectivity restored. Thanx everyone for trying. Couldn't get any real "researchable" errors on this one. Also - it was Win2000, not XP (although they are very similar)
    Last edited by v_1amate; June 19th, 2004 at 06:19 PM.

You cant get aol to work with another modem.. using the Wan miniport Adapter..

Its designed especially to work with the modems AOL provides to new members signing up.

You *CAN* however.. get any modem to work with aol.. if your going thru dial up networking..

Hmm somthing to try for the dial up techies too.. as ive not tried it with the aol dial up..

when your modem is installed using what ever drivers came with it,

Create a new connection using "rasphone" (start -> run -> "rasphone")

dial up to a private network.. next, choose the dsl device.., next, number to dial "0,38"
    put a name on the connection..

username : [email protected]
    password: password(for aol, for that screename)

Forget about trying to get aol to work with any other modem apart from either the alcatel, or the voyager 50, 100 or 105... it aint happening.

Now when youve got a valid conenction.. you can use aol to connect using tcp/ip.

any questions...

gimmie a shout.

Mamo.

ps: Oh just realised.. this is an international Forum.. that info is for AOL UK.... for US or other countries settings.. may be different etc.
    Last edited by mamolian; August 23rd, 2004 at 01:05 PM.