Speed Limits + Safety ... Ya right - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Speed Limits + Safety ... Ya right

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    I want a flying time travelling DeLorean. But then the speed limits would have to be increased to 88mph
    That would be way cooler. Be careful though, if you traveled back to the mid-70's the speed limit would be 55.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Quote Originally Posted by edball
    I think we'll use Linux for this one. Also, I want a flying car. That would be way cool. Yeah, flying.
    Ah, so instead of crashing, you'll have to recompile your kernel while stopped in traffic the first time you try to use the windshield wipers. Nifty.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    From what I can tell he is just whining cause he actually has to follow the law and can't drive as fast as he wants to, damned be the others on the road or trying to have some osrt of order in our society
    No what bothers me is goverment telling me that it sets a speed limit to make every one safe.... It has nothing to do with safety.... It's about another form of Taxes.... Was a 55MPH speed limit brought in for safety no
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_Driver
    No what bothers me is goverment telling me that it sets a speed limit to make every one safe.... It has nothing to do with safety.... It's about another form of Taxes.... Was a 55MPH speed limit brought in for safety no
    Alright. So what's the solution?

Uhm, there was a 55 mph limit because there was an oil crisis. At speeds over 55 mph, fuel efficiency tends to drop quite a bit.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Alright. So what's the solution?
    Better driver training and retesting every 10 years...

How about ticketing people who sit in the left lane.. Or drive while distracted (Eating or Talking On Cell phone)...

How about daytime running lights they have been proven to make driving safer why not use them ???

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    Uhm, there was a 55 mph limit because there was an oil crisis. At speeds over 55 mph, fuel efficiency tends to drop quite a bit.

I know what i'm saying is that 55 had nothing to do with safety. It had every thing to do with saving Oil...

I know what i'm saying is that 55 had nothing to do with safety. It had every thing to do with saving Oil...
    In an oil crisis, thats a prudent step.

Why do you continue to avoid addressing my questions and statements? Too lazy to actually check facts and find sources? Would rather just crap the theory out there and let it fly like a turd flung from a hanglider, splating wherever it may and annoying the pedestrians?

And your an Expert ???
    Just after high school I worked as a grunt/detailer in several body shops, and cleaned blood out of more than one car. My father was an auto damager appraiser, and frequently brought home pictures of total losses, even took me to a few yards to see the wrecks the shops never see...He told me the break downs from the police reports and from his experience what happened...how the bodies were mangled wasn't always the subject, but occasionally he told me those stories too, but everything was factored to determine a relative speed of the collision. Doesn't make me an expert, just makes me a bit more of a realist. It is a commonly known fact in the industry that the high-speed wrecks are the worst overall, why is it that you can’t see this fact and accept that you’re perception is out of whack?

Here is where you keep making your position sound so foolish. You seem to think that getting somewhere at 80, 90, or 100 mph should be an option, regardless of the risk level to others on the road—an acceptable risk level that I won’t accept. That’s why I took after you about you’re age, because you come off like some punk kid.
    Last edited by Ya_know; June 26th, 2004 at 12:14 AM.

Passing on the right is illegal here too, but people whine that cops are pulling them over for "stupid reasons" when they get caught.
    That's true. I guess German drivers are more mindful of their rules.
    This space for rent.

Simple physics. The faster you are travelling, the further your travel during that split second your brain tells you to react to something.

A driver going 55 mph who sees a deer run out in front of his/her car 100 yards ahead will be able to react faster than a driver who is going 85 mph.

And speaking of deer, all of the good driving in the world wont save you from EVERY variable out there that can cause accidents. How fast you are going is a major factor included in the accident reports and is often one of the first few questions asked. It is also something the insurance companies want to know when you file a claim.
    U.S. out of U.N.

OK, lets get a few things straight here escape_driver.

1. Hellooooo there are speed limits on the German autobahns. 130kmh (around 80 mph) This goes down to 80 or lower on bends. I lived there from 1996 to 1998. There were a very few sections where there were no standard limits. BUT limits applied in poor weather.

2. Drivers cannot apply to learn until they are 18

3. Killing someone with a car in Germany means you never can afford insurance again.

4. Germans obey authority. You are driving with your fog lights on. It must therefore be foggy. You cannot therefore drive at more than 20 KPH. If you do, you are speeding during hazardous conditions. Same goes for ice, wind, rain.

5. You are not allowed to change lanes suddenly at an intersection.

6. Intersections are not wide and sweeping, they are narrow and tightly curved. Everyone knows it, so they let people out, they slow down at intersections.

7. Just because you have been driving since you were 7 does not make you the worlds greatest driver. However, you have had 9 more years experience than the average american when they take daddy's car out for its first teen crash.

8. You are right, training helps enormously, but it is not applied in the American continent, or in Britain the way it is in Germany.

9. The reason YOU are not a safe driver is because you think everyone else is. The major aspect of safe driving is giving other people room to make their mistakes, that means driving at a speed at which you can stop before hitting the car in front.

10. Do you apply the same logic to Highways as to residential areas? Is 30mph too slow for you? It's too fast for me. At 40 mph EVERY child is killed. At 30 MPH 50% survive. At 20 Mph 99% survive.

Could you live with yourself having killed a kid knowing that 10mph less speed on your part would have allowed the child to make a mistake and survive?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK, lets get a few things straight here escape_driver.

1. Hellooooo there are speed limits on the German autobahns. 130kmh (around 80 mph) This goes down to 80 or lower on bends. I lived there from 1996 to 1998. There were a very few sections where there were no standard limits. BUT limits applied in poor weather.

2. Drivers cannot apply to learn until they are 18

3. Killing someone with a car in Germany means you never can afford insurance again.

4. Germans obey authority. You are driving with your fog lights on. It must therefore be foggy. You cannot therefore drive at more than 20 KPH. If you do, you are speeding during hazardous conditions. Same goes for ice, wind, rain.

5. You are not allowed to change lanes suddenly at an intersection.

6. Intersections are not wide and sweeping, they are narrow and tightly curved. Everyone knows it, so they let people out, they slow down at intersections.

7. Just because you have been driving since you were 7 does not make you the worlds greatest driver. However, you have had 9 more years experience than the average american when they take daddy's car out for its first teen crash.

8. You are right, training helps enormously, but it is not applied in the American continent, or in Britain the way it is in Germany.

9. The reason YOU are not a safe driver is because you think everyone else is. The major aspect of safe driving is giving other people room to make their mistakes, that means driving at a speed at which you can stop before hitting the car in front.

10. Do you apply the same logic to Highways as to residential areas? Is 30mph too slow for you? It's too fast for me. At 40 mph EVERY child is killed. At 30 MPH 50% survive. At 20 Mph 99% survive.

Could you live with yourself having killed a kid knowing that 10mph less speed on your part would have allowed the child to make a mistake and survive?

(1) First Yes there should be limits on many sections of Hwy Near towns, Citys and on city streets...

(2) Whats wrong with this nothing I know when I was 16 I was not a good driver and I don't think I met one who is.

(3) Depending on how it happened Whats wrong with banning some from for life. Sorry a DUI your gone no more driving for you

(4)What wrong with following the rules and driving for the conditions

(5)Same as above

(6)So they are better trained drivers (THIS MAKE THINGS SAFER)

(7)So all you can do is personally attack me .... I have taken driver training in accident avoidance and Poor weather driving... I do leave a great deal of distance between me and the next driver... And just slaming on ones breaks is not the best way to avoid an accident driving around (If possable) is a far better way. But if you can't steer around there is no way you are going to break in time.

(8) YES YES YES Training Training Training

(9) Once again with the personal .... I know that other people on the road are bad drivers. I know I don't even think. But will making every one drive 55 MPH make them better drivers ??? No ... Once again Training will.... Lets make roads safe because the drivers are.

(10)If you noticed I said INTERSTATE not streets. Speed in citys, towns should be low. But on a multi lane highway why 55 or 65 most people don't drive this slow so why is the limit set there ???

Now I have a question for all of you.. Do you not think that too many police officers are used to track down speeders ???

ACtually I find the major problems are the people who are either going to fast or too slow... like the old woman pulls out on the highway as soon as she gets on the ramp at 65kmph when she has another 200m to pick up speed and match everyone doing 110kmph... those are half of the problems... the other are the idiots who go to fast... if everyone did 110 or there abouts (+or- 10) then there wouldn't be much except for the exploding tires and various other uncontrolable hazards...
    I'll relate a story about speed I had not but maybe 4 months ago. I was leaving work just after dusk and I commute down country roads because at the time is was pouring rain down quite heavy and the highway is really crappy with that much rain pouring down. I got to the old Highway 21 which I know fairly well, all the potholes, curves and dips. The posted speed limit is 80kmph and I was doing my normal 100kmph (Which is not excessive normally on this road even in rain). It starts to get quite dark and I have my lights on. Up ahead of me I saw two lights flashing and immediate thought it was a transport truck stopped on the side of the road (and it was)... because of this I felt the need to slow down, just in case he's standing beside his truck or something may happen. so I reduce to the posted 80kmph and I'm approaching a intersection of which the truck is just past say 100m. I don't know how I saw it, maybe it was the light shining off the broken glass (it was still pouring rain). But there was a black vehicle of some sort strewn mostly in my lane. FRom the quick glance I assumed the transport mauled the "car" and tore the front end off and despoitied it elsewhere as I didn't see it at the time. Finally realizing WTF it was I glanced up the road in the opposite lane and didn't see any lights so still having my wits about me I prayed there wasn't a moron without his lights on in this rain or dark and swerved into the opposing lane of traffic to avoid the wreck and something scrapped out the side of my truck. I had just barely missed the wreck, if I hadn't have returned to the posted speed limit I would have most likely been killed. Or perhaps taken out some of the the people rushing to the car across their lawns... so yeah... speed is dangerous...pouring rain or not... I'm just lucky I was trained by Young Drivers... they taught me the technique I used to get out of there... otherwise I would most likely have slammed on my brakes and not survived... the driver of the black car survived and was watching helplessly as I kept getting closer... I would have killed him for sure... scary thoughts if you ask me...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    ACtually I find the major problems are the people who are either going to fast or too slow... like the old woman pulls out on the highway as soon as she gets on the ramp at 65kmph when she has another 200m to pick up speed and match everyone doing 110kmph... those are half of the problems... the other are the idiots who go to fast... if everyone did 110 or there abouts (+or- 10) then there wouldn't be much except for the exploding tires and various other uncontrolable hazards...
    I'll relate a story about speed I had not but maybe 4 months ago. I was leaving work just after dusk and I commute down country roads because at the time is was pouring rain down quite heavy and the highway is really crappy with that much rain pouring down. I got to the old Highway 21 which I know fairly well, all the potholes, curves and dips. The posted speed limit is 80kmph and I was doing my normal 100kmph (Which is not excessive normally on this road even in rain). It starts to get quite dark and I have my lights on. Up ahead of me I saw two lights flashing and immediate thought it was a transport truck stopped on the side of the road (and it was)... because of this I felt the need to slow down, just in case he's standing beside his truck or something may happen. so I reduce to the posted 80kmph and I'm approaching a intersection of which the truck is just past say 100m. I don't know how I saw it, maybe it was the light shining off the broken glass (it was still pouring rain). But there was a black vehicle of some sort strewn mostly in my lane. FRom the quick glance I assumed the transport mauled the "car" and tore the front end off and despoitied it elsewhere as I didn't see it at the time. Finally realizing WTF it was I glanced up the road in the opposite lane and didn't see any lights so still having my wits about me I prayed there wasn't a moron without his lights on in this rain or dark and swerved into the opposing lane of traffic to avoid the wreck and something scrapped out the side of my truck. I had just barely missed the wreck, if I hadn't have returned to the posted speed limit I would have most likely been killed. Or perhaps taken out some of the the people rushing to the car across their lawns... so yeah... speed is dangerous...pouring rain or not... I'm just lucky I was trained by Young Drivers... they taught me the technique I used to get out of there... otherwise I would most likely have slammed on my brakes and not survived... the driver of the black car survived and was watching helplessly as I kept getting closer... I would have killed him for sure... scary thoughts if you ask me...
    Training makes things safer.... But Dusk is the worst time to speed and in the rain ???

But if everyone travels at 100 in an 80 Zone Why is the limit 80...