God and the tsunami - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: God and the tsunami

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Blaming God? No. Blame People? No. Blame physics and chemistry?
    Blame global warming.....just like this idiot: "Friends of the Earth Director Tony Juniper told the same British newspaper, "Here again are yet more events in the real world that are consistent with climate change predictions." A spokesperson for the Indonesian arm of Friends of the Earth told Agence France Presse, "We can expect in the coming years similar events happening as a result of global warming..." http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/...3002-5490r.htm
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

God does not control the earth... He may or may not have been responsible for it coming into being
    Things happen for a reason, we just dont always understand all of them. I assume that God does control Earth, maybe not always but most of the time. And he was responsible for it coming into being. My beliefs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by i n e p t
    i think you misinterpreted what i was saying, i don't take it lightly, or even know what it's like to lose a child. i sympathize, but honestly, i would rather lose my child when he's very young, than later. and since when has innocense had anything to do with death, where is that reasoning coming from?

I see your point, if given a choice, sure, at a young age, rather than old, why get so close to the child when you're about to lose him. Better yet, right after the child throws an angry fit when you wouldn't give them a treat because they haven’t had dinner yet, that would be the best time I can think of. Yeah man, your rational isn't what it's cracked up to be, where are you trying to go with this?

Bottom line is, if you have any faith, and you suffer from a catastrophic event, you WILL question that faith. Two things come to mind, either you despise your god for what happened, or rationalize that god must not exist, why would he facilitate this kind of mass suffering? Either way, I don’t think there’s anything that could express what I would feel towards any god should I lose a child to murder, senselessness, or a catastrophe.

God is about man. God does not control the earth... He may or may not have been responsible for it coming into being. The systems that "run" the earth are subject to change. The plates moved, the earth quaked, the wave happened.
    That's pretty much atheism in a nutshell…

I didnt want to say atheist, but ya_know said what I was thinking

Maybe, just maybe catastrophies are a test of God. I know people tend to question their faith, but in the end, faith is total and unquestionable belief. For me it is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    I didnt want to say atheist, but ya_know said what I was thinking

Maybe, just maybe catastrophies are a test of God. I know people tend to question their faith, but in the end, faith is total and unquestionable belief. For me it is.
    Bingo, in the end true faith will let you grieve, yet also joy that your child is in God's arms and will never be let go while waiting to be put back into your own arms at a later day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I see your point, if given a choice, sure, at a young age, rather than old, why get so close to the child when you're about to lose him. Better yet, right after the child throws an angry fit when you wouldn't give them a treat because they haven’t had dinner yet, that would be the best time I can think of. Yeah man, your rational isn't what it's cracked up to be, where are you trying to go with this?

Bottom line is, if you have any faith, and you suffer from a catastrophic event, you WILL question that faith. Two things come to mind, either you despise your god for what happened, or rationalize that god must not exist, why would he facilitate this kind of mass suffering? Either way, I don’t think there’s anything that could express what I would feel towards any god should I lose a child to murder, senselessness, or a catastrophe.
    i said "I" would rather lose my child at a young age, my personal preference. is that clear now ya_know? does that make me a bad man, does it change the love i have for my two boys...no. ur always a little quick on the draw there ya_know, relax man, breath through ur nose. and catastrophies will not always make you question ur faith. some do, some don't, it's that simple
    My New Year's resolution: to be intolerant towards those who are intolerant of me, that'll learn 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    Bingo, in the end true faith will let you grieve, yet also joy that your child is in God's arms and will never be let go while waiting to be put back into your own arms at a later day.
    That's the part that cracks me up the most. When someone dies, a "faithful" person is typically mad at god for the loss. And sad for those lost. A faithful person may not smoke, and also eats health, staying fit, all in order to live longer on earth. Why? If you believe so much, you should eat raw bacon fat, smoke 10 packs a day, drive without a seatbelt, and otherwise take every chance you can to bring you to heaven on a fast boat. Am I right, or just don’t understand because I’m atheist?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    Aye! Faith that there is something more meaningful and significant than our brief stay on this particular mud ball. We are more than mere survival machines for our DNA (Richard Dawkins), more than meat bags on their way to the maggot fest. We have a spirit, everyone of us, which will endure beyond this temporary existence and transcend into a higher plane. Call it God, soul and Heaven, or spirit and Nirvana, or whatever you want, the idea is fairly universal among humans. Each one of us chooses their own path, for the limited amount of time we each have, and what we do, during this life, defines what will await us in the next.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by i n e p t
    i said "I" would rather lose my child at a young age, my personal preference. is that clear now ya_know? does that make me a bad man, does it change the love i have for my two boys...no. ur always a little quick on the draw there ya_know, relax man, breath through ur nose. and catastrophies will not always make you question ur faith. some do, some don't, it's that simple
    I wasn't quick, I was reading exactly what you wrote, and it was presumed exactly as you expounded. I think it's weird to think that way, about your kids. I think that way about a cat, not my kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I wasn't quick, I was reading exactly what you wrote, and it was presumed exactly as you expounded. I think it's weird to think that way, about your kids. I think that way about a cat, not my kids...
    ok, i see i need to spell it out for you now would be better than say, when they have a wife, kids, and other friends who will all grieve upon their departure... better? it may be weird, but it's the way i see it.
    My New Year's resolution: to be intolerant towards those who are intolerant of me, that'll learn 'em!

The appalling loss of life cannot be fathomed. One person did point out that a similar number of people die of starvation or poverty related disease every day... now that is far more staggering a statistic.

Did people miss this bit?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    but you have that anyway. when we almost lost aidan at 1 day old it was no less tramtic on our family and friends then it would have been had he been 18. and I also can tell you I felt no less saddness for my friend and co-worker who lost their son at birth due to trisomy 18 a few months ago.

your logic is seriously flawed.
    i wasn't referring to my grieving, i was referring to others grievances, the older you get, the more your life seems to affect others. now if my child would die now, i would grieve, as would my friends, relatives, etc. if he would be 30, married, with kids, and more friends...well you get the picture, there would be more people grieving. THAT is my point and the reasoning behind my statement. at a young age, the ripples death do not extend as far as when they are older. mother theresa's death left more people grieving that if she died in her 1st years, that is logical no?

i tihnk a post just disappeared. weird...

Its common Knowlegde NooNoo, and ppl also die cause meds cost too much, we do as much as we can, but we'd rather spend most of our money on ourselves.

I've been to places where ppl die of poverty, seen it and seen what happens around the place, its a balance, some people are really really rich and then there is the opposite, maybe if we shared more, we would reach a better balance. But what happens, cause of corruption and greed, they still stay poor, and the rich and better off in the "Developed" World get richer, but complain when things dont go their way.

And war doesnt help either.