(Code 10) Device Won't Start

Thread: (Code 10) Device Won't Start

Question (Code 10) Device Won't Start

I need help guys. I got a Dynex DX-DVDRW8 about three months ago and have been happy with it since. But last night I tried to Burn a Data CD with Nero OEM Suite (which i've also successfully used in the past) and it failed three times. I went to device manager and my DVD rom had an exclamation mark. I recently installed a new motherboard and re-installed windows xp-pro. So I tried to update the driver, said I had the best one. Tried to roll back driver, said no previouse driver available. Uninstalled the hardware and reinstalled. Same thing. Uninstalled and re-booted to let windows find it and it said that there was a problem during the installation. When I went to hardware status it said "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Any clues?? Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance all......

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Does it show in bios startup?
    Sergeant WOTPP

If the drive is seen in the BIOS like Mobile suggested, then it might be a driver issue.

If you have a driver from the manufacturer, install it. Sometimes drivers that XP likes to use get messed us and usually arent as good as the manufacturer's drivers.
    U.S. out of U.N.

yes, bios finds the drive. I've been looking everywhere for the driver and to no avail. I'm running windows xp pro 2002. The drive is a dynex DX-DVDRW8.
    I have no service packs installed. I've tried everything I can think of to locate this driver (short of calling Dynex due to my work schedule and thier hours of operation.) But if anyone can please help me. I even changed my bios setting to "yes" for plug and play O.S. hoping that maybe it was just a resources issue and let windows redefine my resource settings. My drive is now in windows explorer in a section all by it's lonesome with a question mark. When I go to device properties it has a flashing curser like it wants me to tell it what it is.

Try this

You can try three ways:

1 - Try change the jumper settings on the drive, this is, if it is a master drive, try to put it on slave or cable (alone in the ide), better even, try to do this on other IDE channels, if you have them available.

2 - Get a bios update and the utility to install it from the manufactor of the drive

3 - Disable off-line folders, remove 'print and file sharing' and 'client for microsopft windows network'. In this case, if the problem is solved, the reason was malware (spyware, etc) using old drivers all the time....

Greetings from the country of Sun