Quick Format/Full Format
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick Format/Full Format

Quick Format/Full Format

What is the difference between the two.

I don't know for sure, but I think a quick format just erases the 'links' to files on the HD, where as a full format actually erases the whole partition. But I'm probably wrong, that would make too much sense

Quick Format removes files from the disk without scanning the disk for bad sectors.
    From this : -Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a "clean" installation of Windows XP

Its slightly different between operating systems, but generally not so far away from that, 'full' would generally seek out its own defect list for bad sectors, while quick doesn't ..

I did some research and it really both does the same thing other then a quick format doesn't scan the disk for errors it only, as a regular format, removes the control source from the disk with no scan. A low level format however will remove all data contained on the disk other then that which is need to be able to install programs which the manufacturer can only remove.

Here's a 'better' quote ..

Quick format

Quick format creates the file system structure on the disk without verifying the integrity of every sector. Choose this method for any disk that has no bad sectors and no history of file-corruption problems that might be related to bad sectors.

Full format

A full format identifies and tracks bad sectors so that they are not used for storing data. Choose this method for any disk that has bad sectors or has a history of file-corruption problems that might be related to bad sectors.
    from here

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    ..A low level format however will remove all data contained on the disk ..
    Not necessarily, there's all that 'echo' stuff ... there's a great big long topic here somewhere's all about how secure data erasure works in theory, but the jist was that even over-writing all the disk mayn't obliterate everything if you move the focus of your reads slightly off track.

So if you want to be certain a disk is completely 'data-less' then you need some kind of erasure tool.

Reminds me of a data erasure test I saw in PCW once-
    The editors choice (And cheapest) was a lump-hammer
    If you are prepared to spend sufficient time & money, then it is possible to retrieve almost anything from a disk that has not been physically damaged.

-Leezer-

you should always full format a new hard drive
    http://www.kaysdomain.com

Interesting take on the full format idea. I don't agree because I generally expect a new drive to be free of surface defects, bad sectors, and so on, but I'm always suspicious of older drives. Most of the new drives I have had either worked fine or were F.U.B.A.R

Interesting to say the least about this topic. Would be nice to find the method used to recover data after just a format and overwrite let alone a low level since I have seen many times people asking for suggestions on how to get some data back after someone did just that and no one can seem to get there data back. Thanks for all the replys on this one and if there is any software you have had success with please post it. Good info confused. A person can never learn to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    . Good info confused. A person can never learn to much.
    He-he-he 'ta!' but you'll never shut me up if you take that attitude !

So I just thought of a good reason why you should always 'full format' a disk 'first time' at least. If you don't & just do 'quick', you don't necessarily tie the 'known defects' list on a drive, created by the manufacturer or something like FDisk with the 'grown defects list' (that a file system maintains about 'suspect' sectors), if you full format you will.

As for getting stuff back after inadvertantly zapping it, well much depends on how much write activity has gone on, the more the less chance you have of sucessful & full recovery, there's many 'undelete' type programs out there that will do the job, with varying levels of success depending on circumstance e.g. PC file Inspector & more suggestions on this one :- Good Data Recovery Program??

Well, from what I know about it, every write to the drive means that the heads come to rest etc. in a slightly different position. Therefore, if you are prepared to spend enough time & money, then it is possible to analyze & backtrack this. (I have seen various companies on the net charging extortionate amounts for this)
    If you have solely fdisked the drive, have a search on Google for partition table recovery programs- There are some out there that will analyze the data already written to the disk, and re-create a partition table. While this will work (Have used it once after a Linux installer caused trashup), the re-created drive is highly unstable, and what is needed should be recovered & the drive re-formatted.

-Leezer-

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Not necessarily, there's all that 'echo' stuff ... there's a great big long topic here somewhere's all about how secure data erasure works in theory, but the jist was that even over-writing all the disk mayn't obliterate everything if you move the focus of your reads slightly off track.

So if you want to be certain a disk is completely 'data-less' then you need some kind of erasure tool.
    i usually take mine to the gun range

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS2111-SPQR
    i usually take mine to the gun range

You do mean fifle do you not? Tell em boys what a gun is to the military.

Quote Originally Posted by leezer3
    Well, from what I know about it, every write to the drive means that the heads come to rest etc. in a slightly different position...
    Alll data can be considered to live along a concentric track on a disk (its a spiral), 'normally' you position the heads to read the middle of this .. each '1' or '0' being represented by a concentration of magnetic force, the traditional 'view' of lots of little discrete magnetics, being most misleading, as most drives are effectively magnetised all the way accross, which means you have concentartions of magnetic energy representing the values, if you move the read heads such that they read the edges of the track & not the centre, its possible to read 'echos' of what was there before, even if its been supposedly overwritten.

An electronic erasure tool, as opoosed to a zero fill utility would do writes not only along the track, but slightly offset too, thus overwriting any of these potential echos or magnetic impresions left by the normal write process.

Lump hammers are however most satisfying for this task & I should imagine shooting the s.o.b's is even more so