New IE windows wont open
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New IE windows wont open

New IE windows wont open

Any link that should open in a new window does nothing at all, I have to cpy the link, open a new IE window, paste it and press enter.

This is getting very annoying and the IE popup blocker is off.

I will be getting rid of my junk nvidia chipset mobo soon since nvidia's drivers are by far the most buggy ever and each of the 5 updates made it far worst, I now stopped getting any nvidia updates since I now know that a update to nvidia means an adition of many bugs and correction of none at all, but I'd like this working before I cahnge my mobo.

Thanks

Try re-registering these dlls:

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Nvidia chipsets are junk??? - Wow, wish I would have known that before I bought this sweet MSI Neo Platinum board.

Thanks, that worked great even without having to restart IE! Also thanks for adding the regsvr32 in front so I didnt have to type it!

Any idea what could have caused this?

3fingers: Yes, I didn't even know XP had BSODs for the first 4-5 years I've had it, but add an nvidia based mobo and you'll see plenty, access the built in network card properties, BANG, BSOD, install a sony tape drive, it'll go bananas (I've confirmed it is the nvidia chipset, it does the same on all nvidia mobos, and on others it works fine), also, the line in volume is so weak I need to triple my receivers volume (I need to set the volume at 36 to get what 12 normally sounds like) to watch TV, and then if I forget to turn it back down after watching TV, the entire city hears when I get an email or whatever other sound.

If you don't have TV or a sony tape drive then you may not have any problems other than BSODs when accessing the network card (this happens only sometimes), but I certainly will never ever buy another nvidia product again, they have successfully prooven to me that their programmers can't do any driver or software without adding 3.5 tons of bugs, and with the first 5 updates since I had it I kept thinking "Finally an update that will fix all these bugs", then finding out it's worst, repeat this 5 times and then I finally understood there's no point in hoping an update will make things better, each one made things worst.

Goodbye nvidia, this was my first and last of your garbage products.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; July 12th, 2005 at 08:05 PM.

Strange, I am running Media Center with Nvidia chipset

I have been running Windows Media Center with an MSI mb with Nvidia chipset for over a year now without a blue screen yet. I don't have a tape backup because that just doesnt make sense when extra hd's (for backups) just make so much more sense.

Same here..I've got three of these systems running with the nvidia chipsets on MSI boards, and have no problems..(of course, I don't use raid 0..I use real raid and eliminate the tape drive) and I dont use computers that i have for work for watching tv on..but each to his own I guess. I have yet to get any blue screens or any other problems except for a hard drive or two dying from time to time..but with a mirrored raid array it takes a few minutes to be back up and running.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

This would normally happen during some software install/update...somewhere along the lines the registry entries get goofed and stupid things like that start to happen. I have a batch file that I made that runs regsvr on a number of standard dll's so I just run that. But in the end I can't say for sure what causes it...

Hard drives don't make sense when I have a lot of important data to backup, tapes are much safer and more reliable (hard drives crash), plus there's no way I'll connect/disconnect each time I backup, and that would mean no scheduled backups (if you leave them connected and get a virus, it'll just wipe your backups as well, not a very good backup eh?) viruses can't touch tape drives because they aren't accessed like normal drives, plus it's a lot cheaper per GB and I always have a backup on several tapes in case something happens to one of them. I have extremely important data that can't be recovered (not just mp3s which can be redownloaded), I also keep backups of my most important things on my pocket pc as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    3fingers: Yes, I didn't even know XP had BSODs for the first 4-5 years I've had it, but add an nvidia based mobo and you'll see plenty, access the built in network card properties, BANG, BSOD, install a sony tape drive, it'll go bananas (I've confirmed it is the nvidia chipset, it does the same on all nvidia mobos, and on others it works fine), also, the line in volume is so weak I need to triple my receivers volume (I need to set the volume at 36 to get what 12 normally sounds like) to watch TV, and then if I forget to turn it back down after watching TV, the entire city hears when I get an email or whatever other sound.

If you don't have TV or a sony tape drive then you may not have any problems other than BSODs when accessing the network card (this happens only sometimes), but I certainly will never ever buy another nvidia product again, they have successfully prooven to me that their programmers can't do any driver or software without adding 3.5 tons of bugs, and with the first 5 updates since I had it I kept thinking "Finally an update that will fix all these bugs", then finding out it's worst, repeat this 5 times and then I finally understood there's no point in hoping an update will make things better, each one made things worst.

Goodbye nvidia, this was my first and last of your garbage products.
    I was kidding by the way - I'm curious to see what chipset you are choosing as a "more stable" replacement!

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    Hard drives don't make sense when I have a lot of important data to backup, tapes are much safer and more reliable (hard drives crash),
    Any form of backup has its pros and cons. Hard drives do crash, yes, but magnetic media has more than its share of faults as well. You theory of backing up to multiple tapes confirms that you know this already, so why wouldn't you apply the same logic to backing up to hd's?? (Back up to multiple hd's)

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    (of course, I don't use raid 0..I use real raid and eliminate the tape drive)
    Same here, except I still like to make backups I can keep offsite. Raid is nice, but worthless if you have something physically destroy the hd's (fire, large surge, etc.)

Wandering aimlessly thru my own dementia.
    I guess I must be doing something wrong. I've built many a system with nVidia mobo's and/or nVidia video cards and never had a BSOD from anything nVidia. And the sound on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe is awsome, although I did have to find the check-box to boost the microphone-in so I could be heard in TeamSpeak.
    St. Atala raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying "Oh, Lord! Bless this, thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

viruses can't touch tape drives because they aren't accessed like normal drives,
    not true..when the backups are recovered, so are the viruses/trojans/spyware et al if they were part of the files that were backed up. As far as hard drives..I didnt mean connect one and disconnect it afterwards..I meant use raid 1 which duplicates the hard drive you are using. My servers have raid setups and hotswap bays, and my offsite backup is done through vpn
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Well I have the Asus A8Nsli deluxe with the n-force 4 chipset and two video cards and an nvidia network card built in
    My Laptop has the n-force 3 and both machines work very well with no bsods
    Graphics are rendered better
    I would check your ram with memtest86
    My experience with Nvidia and AMD has been great
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )