should i put a failed/failing hd in external enclosure as slave?

Thread: should i put a failed/failing hd in external enclosure as slave?

should i put a failed/failing hd in external enclosure as slave?

Dear members:

I just would like to know should i put a failed/failing hard drive (2.5 30gb ibm internal hd) in external enclosure as slave so i can get the data off (its been a month since it has failed) by using a laptop

Hi tomcruise3230,

Whenever I have a HD thats failing, first thing to do is to backup all the data from it asap, since the more you let the drive run, the worse off its going to get, and I usually use external caddys (just like what youre doing) when dealing with someone else's HardDisk.

well it has failed now because the laptop is not accessing it when put in the laptop (says pxe-e61: media failure check cable) (called my provider to confirmed it) their fore, i would like know, do u know any FREE software that can get some (if any) data off the hd when put in external enclouser and set as slave

Just double-check, even though it has been giving problems, if I recall correctly that error can occur on some laptops if the BIOS option to Boot from LAN is set when there is no LAN available.
    Last edited by Platypus; July 24th, 2005 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcruise3230
    well it has failed now.. i would like know, do u know any FREE software that can get some (if any) data off the hd when put in external enclouser and set as slave
    Many folks around here have had a great deal of sucess with 'undelete' type utilities, such as PC Inspector (which I've ended up linking from a mirror site, as I can't hit the main page of the product, for whatever reason right now ) - depends if bios at least can see it, if not you may have trouble & have to resort to a pay for service..

..says pxe-e61: media failure check cable) (called my provider to confirmed it)..
    btw This doesn't appear to indicate a bad disk, but a bad cable ! .. I guess we'll find out once you've got it into a caddy ..

well i calledmy provider and told my problem they said your hd has failed because it is making clicking sound (lound ones when starting up) so u have to buy one. so can i still get data off the failed hd after putting in external enclousure as slave?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcruise3230
    can i still get data off the failed hd after putting in external enclousure as slave?

The prospects don't look good, but it would be a final check that the problem is completely down to drive failure.

The configuration of the drive as a slave isn't necessary in an enclosure, it only applies when there are two drives on an IDE channel. The drive should be set up correctly as a single drive, according to manufacturer specs. Some have a specific Single Drive jumper setting, many just use Master. Some will not work correctly as a single slave.

Sometimes you can get lucky by putting the drive in a plastic bag , sealing it, and putting it in the freezer for a day. Then, rush the drive into the computer and cross yer fingers. This worked for me about 50% of the time, but almost guarantees it won't work ever again afterwards.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

okay i will try that. however, will i get more luckier by putting it in a external hd as slave or putting it in the laptop as the internal

Probably depends on which you can get it into quickest and get operating. If being very cold changes the mechanical tolerances enough to get it operating for a while, you'll want to get what you want off it quickly before it warms up enough to lose the effect.

Ditto on the freezer trick. It has worked for me a number of times.

Other things you can try:

Get an notebook hard drive to standard IDE cable. Pay attention to cable orientation since the laptop connector also carries power. Connect the drive to a standard PC as a slave. Power the system up while holding the drive in your hand, fingers off the circuit board. Try holding the drive at different angles for each attempt to get the drive to spin up. You may find that drive will start up in a different orientation than that it ran in. If the drive starts up, you may have to siphon the data off it with one hand since moving the drive from the orientation it started up in may cause it to stop working.

A last resort solution that has sometimes (rarely) worked is dropping the drive from a moderate height or putting it up on edge and hitting it with a hammer. If the heads are stuck this will sometimes (rarely) loosen them enough to get the drive to spin up so that some if not all data can be siphoned off it.

Then there are $$$$ professional data recovery services. The data generally needs to be really important to go this route since it is almost always very expensive. If you are considering sending the drive off for this kind of service, don't try the dropping or the hammer option.
    Last edited by houseisland; July 28th, 2005 at 05:37 PM.