ghost/image problem

Thread: ghost/image problem

ghost/image problem

OK here is an odd one. When I create an image (or direct copy) of a HDD from a dell gx60 I am unable to boot from the newly imaged drive on the gx60. Though I can still boot from the drive I created the image from. However if I use the newly imaged drive in a Compaq c1000 I am able to boot from it. The problem is I want to use the newly imaged drive on the Dell gx60.

I have tried various combinations of master, cable select, jumperless settings on the newly imaged drive. The newly imaged drive is the only device on the system. Flashed the BIOS on the Dell and insured that the HDD was set properly in the BIOS.

I have tried creating an image with ghost and a direct disk to disk copy with ghost. I have also tried using Seagate’s disk to disk utility. I have also tried copying/imaging to different known good HHDs.

Any one have any ideas. I could see a bad sector causing the copy not to work at all. But for it to work on one PC and not another leaves me baffled . Thanx.
    No need to be concerned. The voices in my head assure me I am completely sane.

"Dammit Jim I’m a Star Ship surgeon not the free clinic."

Quote Originally Posted by techguy13
    I am unable to boot from the newly imaged drive on the gx60.
    What happens when you try to?

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    What happens when you try to?
    A curser sits in the uppers left corner of a blank screen and blinks until I power off the PC. The curser will sit there indefinitely and I cannot hear the HDD drive trying to access data.

Hmmm... I would look at the original hard drive in another computer and see with disk management if it has a hidden partition. It sounds more to me that you are having jumper issues, I would grab another hard drive, set it to slave and the one you want to use as master, and see if you can boot like that. If so, then it is a matter of figuring out the jumper scheme of that particular set up. Good luck!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    Hmmm... I would look at the original hard drive in another computer and see with disk management if it has a hidden partition. It sounds more to me that you are having jumper issues, I would grab another hard drive, set it to slave and the one you want to use as master, and see if you can boot like that. If so, then it is a matter of figuring out the jumper scheme of that particular set up. Good luck!
    There does not appear to be another partition on the original gx60. I have checked for odd ball partitions with diskmanager and with partition magic.

I tried setting the the newly imaged drive up with a second HDD. With the newly imaged HDD set as master and the other HDD as slave. The imaged drive set to cable select with the other hdd also set to CS and swapped there postions on the cable. Tried the imaged drive as cable select with the other as slave, again swapped postions on the cable. Tried the imaged drive as master with the other set to CS, swapped positions. Tried both as CS, swapped position again no luck.

Thanx for the suggestions Guts3d. Any body else have any suggestions.