DVD+/-RW External Drive - problem with installation

Thread: DVD+/-RW External Drive - problem with installation

DVD+/-RW External Drive - problem with installation

Hi!
    I bought this hardware:

The drive is a class leading NEC 4550A dual standard (+/-), dual layer (8.5GB) DVD RW + DVD-RAM drive.
    The drive housing is a quality unit made from solid aluminium, with an integral cooling fan.
    The interface is USB2 compliant but is backwardly compatible with USB1.
    The package with the NERO 6 authoring suite to help you produce perfect CDs and DVDs first time.
    The bundle comes fully assembled, tested and ready for use, complete with all cables, drivers and accessories.
    The driver disk provides support for Windows 98 / 98SE / ME / NT / XP but also for MacOS 8.5 / 9.X / 10.X .

I have Toshiba Tecra 8000, running on XP Professional with SP2.
    So when I pluged hardware to my laptop it started to install it, but then in one poin it said that I need geneuide.sys. file
    Instalation description for my hardware was saying that for XP I dont need any drivers, and when I check on web that file (geneuide.sys) is required only for Win 98. Any way I put to CD drive CD I got with Hardware and I tried to install this file, but it said that it was created for Win98 not XP.
    So finally I couldnt install it. In the end I got massage:
    En error ocured during installation of the device.
    The driver installlation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This maybe because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later.
    What can I do now?
    PSPS After I tried to install it, I unpluged hardware, and then I pluged it again trying to install it from beginning, but this time it didnt start installation automatically like first time. When I used other USB slot everything went as for the first time, meaning installation, problem, message (error occured...), and then when I tried second time unplug and then plug nothing happened.
    Why is that? And what I can do about it? I am running out of USB slots

PS2 Is it possible that my laptop is too old? I have pentium II, 366 Mgh.
    Last edited by madhavendra; January 20th, 2006 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madhavendra
    Hi!...PS2 Is it possible that my laptop is too old? I have pentium II, 366 Mgh.
    Hi yourself Welcome !

Methinks you eventually got to it .. I think the reason it wanted the file you didn't have, that isn't now for the right o/s is getting asked for because it's finding usb 1.1 type ports, which an older laptop will have almost certainly .. & whoever wrote the installer didn't allow for that ..

Have you checked Toshiba's site for any & all driver updates which might apply ? If there's any usb updates, they may well fix the need for geneuide.sys I'd have thought ..

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Hi yourself Welcome !

Methinks you eventually got to it .. I think the reason it wanted the file you didn't have, that isn't now for the right o/s is getting asked for because it's finding usb 1.1 type ports, which an older laptop will have almost certainly .. & whoever wrote the installer didn't allow for that ..

Have you checked Toshiba's site for any & all driver updates which might apply ? If there's any usb updates, they may well fix the need for geneuide.sys I'd have thought ..
    Thanks for ideas. I checked Toshiba web site and they have some updates for my bios. Problem is that to do them I need or floppy disc, or CD burner (that I can boot my computer later from any of these media)
    Unfortunatly, I dont have a floppy disc (strange that My computer screan shows it, though I dont have floppy disc "pocket"), and CD burner is the device I cant install. So I cant do this update.

I checked in My Computer-Properties-Device manager-Universal Serial Bus Controlers, and it shows the hardware as a USB 2.0 device, but with the yellow exclamation.
    In the properties of this device it says: The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device clic Reinstal Driver.

So when clic that everything starts from beginning, meanning, I install drivers, everything goes smooth, but then in the end installation freeze ( installing usbmonit), it goes for long time and then again I get message:

En error ocured during installation of the device.
    The driver installlation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This maybe because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later.

So I can go like this forever

PS I have USB powered hub,

Quote Originally Posted by madhavendra
    ..I checked in My Computer-Properties-Device manager-Universal Serial Bus Controlers, and it shows the hardware as a USB 2.0 device, but with the yellow exclamation.
    In the properties of this device it says: The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device clic Reinstal Driver...
    PS I have USB powered hub,
    So by the looks of matters this errant installer hasn't just stuffed up its own installation, but its also overwritten files & now windows can't manage to figure which it should be using .. (btw don't use a powered hub if you can at all avoid it, even if its just for now, as that's another layer of complication).

If you open device manager & find the yellow '!' do you have an option 'rollback driver' ? or does it offer you a list to choose from or the option 'have disk' ?, if you pick re-install ? (that's tricky to describe, as there's lots of variations of how to get to the choices) - if you can 'rollback' try that, or if it gives you a list, choose any it indicates are signed by M$ ..

btw you put earlier you'd found a list of downloads for this unit, well that's more than I managed, but then again I'm not 100% on the model, can you quote that address in any reply, I'd like to see the specifications if nothing else

If you open device manager & find the yellow '!' do you have an option 'rollback driver' ? or does it offer you a list to choose from or the option 'have disk' ?, if you pick re-install ? (that's tricky to describe, as there's lots of variations of how to get to the choices) - if you can 'rollback' try that, or if it gives you a list, choose any it indicates are signed by M$ ..

btw you put earlier you'd found a list of downloads for this unit, well that's more than I managed, but then again I'm not 100% on the model, can you quote that address in any reply, I'd like to see the specifications if nothing else
    Here is the link for Toshiba Tecra 8000 :
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ceghdgngdgmn.0

I tried to instal this hardware trough built-in USB 1.1 port, but it didnt make any difference.
    In the device menager I cant do any rollbacks. It gives me only possibility to update, uninstal o disable. When I want to update, it askes me for directory, but only thing I can show to it is the folder with some drivers I got from here:
    http://jindome.com/images/pds/3/GL811Driver.zip
    I also have a CD I got from my hardware´s manufacturer but it has the same drivers, and problem is, they are for Win98 , and XP should have the drivers already in it, but from the very first time I pluged my hardware to it, iinstalator asked me for CD with drivers

So try updating online with windows update & see if that changes it ? (& at any point previously did you try giving it the windoze program cd?)

But this unit would've come with 95 on it & shipped with usb 1 or 1.1. ports (btw these had a thing called a 'select port' where you could fit a floppy drive, a cd, a dvd, another hard drive etc so that explains it being in device manager 'regardless' of actually being there), so yes I'm thinking we need those bios updates, the problem you've got is with the usb ports, not the writer.

I can't tell from the manuals, what boot options have we got ?, this thing is designed to work with a docking station & even has an external floppy connector, so I'm hoping we've got a few choices ..

So try updating online with windows update & see if that changes it ? (& at any point previously did you try giving it the windoze program cd?)

But this unit would've come with 95 on it & shipped with usb 1 or 1.1. ports (btw these had a thing called a 'select port' where you could fit a floppy drive, a cd, a dvd, another hard drive etc so that explains it being in device manager 'regardless' of actually being there), so yes I'm thinking we need those bios updates, the problem you've got is with the usb ports, not the writer.

I can't tell from the manuals, what boot options have we got ?, this thing is designed to work with a docking station & even has an external floppy connector, so I'm hoping we've got a few choices ..
    I tried Windows updates-nothing
    Tried Windows CD- nothing
    Bios update- I can boot only from floppy or CD, so this option is not for me I dont have it.
    I think I give up. After few days of fighting with this stupid thing I am starting to look like this: and one day more:
    so I think I´ll put DVD drive to the attic and forget all thing.
    Thanks guys, nice of you ,you were helping.