[RESOLVED] AOL secure sites

Thread: [RESOLVED] AOL secure sites

Resolved [RESOLVED] AOL secure sites

Customer with AOL through an adsl router.
    None of the machines on the network can surf certain secure sites. Well. They can if we use AOL browser logon, then type SECUREFIX, but not all machines either have a screen name or want one, so use IE or Firefox. Hotmail messages wont open for example. My NOD32 signup screen doesnt work etc.
    Ive replaced the router, tried my lappy on sites I know it surfs in the workshop etc etc. AOL say its resolved as it works through their browser with SECUREFIX. But this doesnt help my customer.
    The advise ive given is to ditch AOL and get a proper ISP, but this is not an option as their main business e-mail is not to be altered as its on all their adverts. (business network on AOL!!! )
    Any advise??
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

Could they get another ISP and keep the aol email accounts. You could check them from AOL webmail.

EDIT: Corrected my original post after finding this-

...Unfortunately, such routers cannot be used with an AOL broadband connection, which connects you to a private network, not to the Internet. As with an AOL DialUp connection, you can only access the Internet once AOL's software is running.

But when AOL's software is running on a computer connected to the AOL DSL modem, you should be able to run an Internet-sharing program, such as Windows' own Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), to allow the other networked computers to access the web. However, the other computers would not be able to use AOL's software in order to access any of AOL's web content.

Uh-oh.
    Last edited by Stalemate; March 8th, 2006 at 02:10 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

More info about "accepted" routers:

AOL uses some proprietary protocols (non-standard communication methods). AOL will therefore not work with most Ethernet devices. AOL currently recommend the Thomson SpeedTouch range for use with their service. Before purchasing any other make contact the supplier for confirmation that the device will work with AOL unless clearly stated in the specification.

For more information see 'ADSL Hardware Frequently Asked Questions':
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/faq.asp?dt=80
    Quote: "AOL Broadband
    I have AOL broadband, can I share my connection?
    If you are using AOL's service you can use a router to share the connection with multiple PC's. Currently AOL will only support the Thompson Speedtouch range of routers, including the 510 and 570, these should be the first choice of model if you want to share your AOL ADSL connection."

For a list of the relevant 'Thomson products':
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/products.asp?manuf=thomson

Two models are the single port 'Thomson SpeedTouch 530 Ethernet/USB Router':
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=ST530&pm=416
    and the 'Thomson SpeedTouch 510 v4 4-Port ADSL Router':
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=ST510V4
    Quote: "Recommended by AOL for use with their ADSL service."

For a cheaper supplier see Zion Media Ltd Speedtouch Modems & Routers:
    http://www.zionmedia.co.uk/acatalog/Speedtouch_Modems.html

'SpeedTouch 510/510i/530 Multi-User ADSL Gateways Setup and User's Guide':
    http://www.speedtouch.com/pdf/510/st510_guide_en.pdf
    Quote: "This User's Guide will assist you in getting acquainted with the SpeedTouch 510 and SpeedTouch 530 Multi-User ADSL gateways and in getting connected quickly to the Internet."
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

The router is Netgear 54g . The secure sites issue is only a recent thing. The network has been working peachy for about a year. All 5 users were happily checking Hotmail until a few weeks back. They can sign on OK, but as soon as they double click to open the mail, it wont load the page. I must emphasise, this only affects a few sites - nearly all other work. Its just that they all want access to Hotmail!

As for webmail and a new ISP - yes, this is a consideration, but AOL want £6.99 a month to retain the e-mail address (basic dial up rates).

AOL
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ADS_Tech
    The router is Netgear 54g . The secure sites issue is only a recent thing. The network has been working peachy for about a year. All 5 users were happily checking Hotmail until a few weeks back. They can sign on OK, but as soon as they double click to open the mail, it wont load the page. I must emphasise, this only affects a few sites - nearly all other work. Its just that they all want access to Hotmail!

As for webmail and a new ISP - yes, this is a consideration, but AOL want £6.99 a month to retain the e-mail address (basic dial up rates).

AOL
    I would strongly recommend that your client get rid of AOL for business use. It's really hard to take any business seriously that has aol.com at the end of their e-mail address.
    ya'aa'tey

XP Pro SP2 - Intel D925XCV MB - P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HTT, socket 775 - WD 36GB SATA HD - WD 250GB USB2 External HD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 - Sony DRU-710A DVD±R/RW - Plextor CD-R Premium - XFX GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV - Samsung 19" LCD - Antec Performance Plus SOHO server case with 430W PSU

I couldnt agree more. I find the whole situation laughable. First, that the business is using AOL, second that the reason for my call out is that all the four employees cant access their personal Hotmail. Nothing to do with work.

Ive hit a brick wall about getting them off AOL, as they are adamant about retaining the e-mail address, and have this peculiar notion that AOL is the safest way to surf. Its their choice. All I can do is give my best advise. Ive finished this job with them now, and marked the invoice to reflect my advise on AOL.

Thanks for the help though.

Just as a postscript to this, I now know the cause.
    Changing the routers mtu to 1400 from the default of 1438 fixes the whole secure site problem. I spoke recently to a friend whod had similar a few months back.
    Still doesnt explain why it used to work, but suddenly stopped working even on the same router.