98 SE won't shut down

Thread: 98 SE won't shut down

Post 98 SE won't shut down

System is a FIC 503+ board , AMD 550 CPU , 128 meg RAM , AT case. It will go to the screen saying "Windows is shutting down , but no further.I loaded another drive w/ 98 SE and it works ok so I am assuming (oops)it is a Windows problem .It never reaches the "It is safe to shut down " screen , yet sounds as if it has shut off power to the drive , Windows does not run Scan disk when restarted.Acts like a hybrid AT-ATX !
    I have run SFC , installed the shutdown patch , turned off all power management options , and did an overlay of Windows , installed latest VIA drivers and USB patch , ran several Scan Disks and defragmented.....no joy ... The LOGOS.SYS file is there and opens correctly if clicked on .....any suggestions ??? I hate to give up and reload this thing.

I must say that I had that same problem Before.
    Can't remember exactly what I did but I think you should enable the fast shutdown in the advanced tab of system configuration and try disabling your AV.

<a href="http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?ln=en-ca" target="_blank">and Go here for some other fixes.</a>
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Wink

Sorry Danimal , already tried those , Fast shutdown is gone after the installation of the 98 SE shutdown patch , as it is supposed to be , and the only things running are Systray and Explorer.Tried the "Shutdown Now" shortcut as mentioned in this section of the BB , same results. Update,,,,now , after more tinkering , the bloody thing has decided to restart every time it gets shut off , guess its time for another search or a session w/ format C: Thanks for he help , I appreciate it.

Use Ctrl-alt-del once it stops and see what you've got left that is still running, most likely I'd guess you have run32dll or similar floating about that is stopping your shut down

Sorry have now read your answer, if it is re-booting on shutdown on a via board then you've got fast shutdown enabled whether you think you have or not. Make sure that the value for this reg key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Shutdown

is set as 0.

Once you are sure of this try as above.

Thanks confused_ed but no go , cntrl-alt-del at the hang up screen does nothing , and the key is not in the registry , I believe the fast shut down patch removes it. I've spent too much time on it already , its 0 filling right now for a nice fresh start.

I might be too late, but Technet had these:

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q202/6/33.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=windows%2098%20shutdown%20proble ms&rnk=3&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98" target="_blank">How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems (Q202633)</a>
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q238/0/96.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=windows%2098%20shutdown%20proble ms&rnk=5&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98" target="_blank">Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition (Q238096)</a>
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q239/8/87.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=windows%2098%20shutdown%20proble ms&rnk=6&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98" target="_blank">Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement (Q239887)</a>

...I think this is the third time I've posted these in answer to a question

Hope this helps!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Talking

Go into Run and type msconfig. Then go into advanced. Click disable fast shutdown.
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

Have norrowed the problem down a bit , I am finding the following.....
    The computer will shut down in safe mode , which suggests a driver conflict , but the only drivers loaded are for the video card and I have now tried 3 different cards.
    It will also shut down when I use a Seagate drive instead of a Maxtor , however , the Maxtor works ok in other computers.....possible chip conflict ????? This would suggest the simple answer is change drives , however , there is still a problem .If I run System Info-Components-Problem Devices it shows a problem with the ISA to PCI plug and play bus driver , I think this is a Windows driver and I don't know how to replace or update it , I have tried about 4 versions of the VIA 4in 1 and that has done nothing. This problem occurs with both the Maxtor and the Seagate . The ISA bus seems to work fine so I don't have a clue what the message is all about...should I just ignore the "error" ? Device Manager shows everything as ok.

Tattoo addict

maybe there is something here..
    <a href="http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm" target="_blank">shut down</a>

Thanks mas cervesa , excellent article . I had tried most of those things , but finally cured the shutdown problem by good luck and frustration. I formatted the drive and then used Ghost to copy the hard drive from my computer ( which also has a VIA chipset ) , reinstalled the drive , booted to safe mode , deleted the enum key and rebooted ....damn , it works ! I have no idea why , but as long as it works I'm happy.Still have the problem in system devices though , the PCI to ISA bridge shows an error . Windows says "the computer is reporting two ISAPNP.vxd bus types , contact manufacturer for updated BIOS ...thing is this is the current bios.I'm considering returning the board although it runs fine , any ideas ???

You didn't tell me that the isa bridge wasn't working. Generally on VIA chipsets you will see a conflict between the ISA bridge and usually the first IDE channel(though in some cases the second) not with IRQ's but memory addresses, generally windows will try to use another free location and usually succeeds. This can result in some unexpected results due to other drivers but most especially errant vxd's which assume that certain devices must use certain memory addresses which is why that little message pops up warning you about reallocating resources and why most devices try not to allow you to change them.
    Anyway you've fixed it now.

Thanks for the help all . Finally found the problem , FIC has a bios issue that was supposed to have been corrected which causes this exact problem . I've contacted the supplier to inquire about reflashing or returning the board , the current BIOS flash is installed , but I suspect it is bad .

there is better software and free than gohst for cloneing the hd try ulitmateboot disk hunt for it on cnet.com it has a lot of good utilites built in