No TV out on 6600 GT
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No TV out on 6600 GT

No TV out on 6600 GT

I have a 6600 GT card that I can't fathom the TV out mode on it. Heres the background:

Installed latest Forceware 93.71
    Using S-vid cable tested
    Tried all different modes in the nvidia control panel (clone, dual, force TV, formats, regions etc etc)
    Installed earlier Forceware 81.85
    Get no signal whatsoever to the TV

Also put my old Ati 9600 Pro back in with the same cable, setup Catalyst and the TV out works fine.

I'm beginning to the the TV out port on the nvidia card is fried. Any suggestions or help most appreciated.

It does sound like that is the problem. Does the 6600GT only have svideo TVout? (the standard design only has svideo, but you might have one with composite as well)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thats the one, only s-vid, no composite. I'm gonna try it in another machine unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Its a shame as its a far better card than the ATi.

If it's new, send it back for replacement under warranty.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Not sure I can send it back, I didn't buy it so I don't know where it came from, it was given to me.

Would it be possible to have Catalyst and Forceware installed at the same time and just swap cards when I want to do some gaming?

possible, yes... whether they will play nice - not likely, but if you are bored, then why not try?

I apologize if this post sounds insulting, I really don't mean for it to, but as I don't have the card you are working with, I'm guessing on this.

I have 3 6600 GT's, and all of them have an S-video-like port on the back, but none of them have an actual S-video port on the card. The S-video-like port is for a huge and rediculous dongle that has: component, composite, and s-video ports, on it.

So here's my guess, the port you are trying to use as an s-video port, is not an s-video port, and since your friend gave you the card, you don't have that dongle, or a manual to know any different. I haven't tried myself, but I would assuse that an s-video plug would fit in the port that is on the card, but the pins wouldn't map right, and it wouldn't work.

So, in short, I think you are missing the dongle.

If you look at the port closely, I believe it has more holes than an s-video part would.
    -Come on, I'll lend you money for a coffee.

Sorry, Crastabule, the port on your video card actually is an S-video port. Sounds like you have MSI cards. The "ridiculous" dongle is only found with video cards that incorporate video in/video out functionality. The adapter lets you connect to composite devices, or to connect an S-Video input and output device simultaneously. Without the dongle, the port just functions as an S-Video port (still supports Video in). MSI currently makes 5 6600 based video card, of which 4 only support video out. You pay extra for VIVO.

Gotta go with the majority and vote for bad hardware, though I am truly SHOCKED to think that might happen with a "gimme".

I'd thought of that but as said above it is an s-vid port on the 6600GT. I actually have it installed now, would see if the drivers for both play together - time for the Quake 4 test!

I also have an FX5600 lying around that has the VI/VO port you mention and the dongle. The 9600 Pro outperforms it though so I guess I'll stick with that until finances permit me to upgrade to PCIe.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Sorry, Crastabule, the port on your video card actually is an S-video port. Sounds like you have MSI cards. The "ridiculous" dongle is only found with video cards that incorporate video in/video out functionality. The adapter lets you connect to composite devices, or to connect an S-Video input and output device simultaneously. Without the dongle, the port just functions as an S-Video port (still supports Video in). MSI currently makes 5 6600 based video card, of which 4 only support video out. You pay extra for VIVO.

Gotta go with the majority and vote for bad hardware, though I am truly SHOCKED to think that might happen with a "gimme".
    Ah verily sirrah, then I must humble myself upon the mercy of the forums!

*grovel*
    -Come on, I'll lend you money for a coffee.

Well, Crastabule, a bit of grovelling is always appreciated, but my advice is to save it for a truly major gaffe. Don't waste it on the little stuff

Again!?!?!!?

Reviving this thread as I have exactly the same problem now on a brand new 7300GS (in a different machine). I'm begining to think its an Nvidia thing as TV setup has always been simple on ATi cards.

Can someone post an idiots guide to setting up TV out with Forceware?

I have an Svid cable which I know works fine on the Radeon
    Tried every option on clone, dual view, detect displays etc

Nothing - black screen - help, thats two reasonably good cards I've got now that I can't use!

Ok, quick update finally got something on the TV, it needed the combo Svid-composite cable that came with the Nvidia card, not the identical one that came with the ATi card.

Now have the problem that when switching between displays I loose the main monitor and have to uninstall the driver to get it back (TV is in a different room).

Can you set up keyboard shortcuts to change views with Forceware?

...... *wishing I'd have bought another ATi*

the nView software should allow you to do this... are you cloning the desktop or just outputting video overlay?

Trying to clone it, all I want to do is watch DVD's on the TV in another room.

Ended up using the old machine with the ATi card - but will continue to fiddle with nView.