problem with internet connection: speed slows down to dial-up when running on batter

Thread: problem with internet connection: speed slows down to dial-up when running on batter

problem with internet connection: speed slows down to dial-up when running on batter

Dear members,

I don't know what seems to be wrong with my toshiba laptop 1400-s151 (hardrive 2 years old but still works fine)with window xp home edition. I have verizon fios with 1 MB download speed and 5 MB browsing speed. What happens is, when the power adapter is connected with the laptop to supply power from the power cord and not from the batteries the internet speed works perfectly fine. However, when i disconnected the power adapter from the laptop when the batteries are recharged to 100% , a messages appears on bottom right (where are the icons are ex: time, norton virus icon etc) that a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged. After that I get disconnected for 2-3 seconds but then it reconnects itself back as if i just connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. However, thats besides the real problem which is the speed becomes noticably slow (like dial-up with download speed less the 80 kbs from the usual 700-900 kbs) and it stays slow until I plug back the power adapter when the battery power is runing low. (its as if i go back to dial-up when running on batteries and back to fios running on power adapters...weird!) And when i do plug back the power adapter it gives me yet again the same message (a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged ) for 2-3 seconds then reconnects itself as if i again just now connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. And since the laptop is now running on power adapter and not the batteries the speed comes back to normal (from pervious dial-up speed to FIOS verizon speed). It has been doing this for over an year and i dont know why and what causing this (ran norton virus and other spyware tools but nothing changes). Therefore, can someone please tell me what is causing this and how I can fix the problem? Anything will help! I will be waiting for your useful suggestions and remarks!

Well, the first thing would be to go to device manager, highlight your network adapter, and make sure that 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is not checked on the power management tab,
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Many Toshiba's have a 'power saving' feature which will operate the cpu at 50% - check it out.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=10&gl=ca

its already unchecked. my power saving' feature is turned off or i have the setting in presentation so it will take full max battery power. any other suggestion please

Well, you can try to verify the various power supply voltages with and without the ac adapter connected - download Everest Home and get the data from it.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Have you checked the BIOS settings so see if they might be overriding the software settings?

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Have you checked the BIOS settings so see if they might be overriding the software settings?
    Along this vein, most laptops will automatically turn off network connections when on battery power; example, my laptop has a network connection manager-type program that is propriatary that I had to turn that "option" off in. You may need to do the same (in addition to checking out the above suggestion).

how do i check the BIOS setting, please?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcruise3230
    how do i check the BIOS setting, please?
    When your laptop first starts, there should be a message to tell you how to enter "Setup". Setup and Bios on a laptop are usually the same.

On mine, I press F2 and I have about 3 seconds to do that before windows begins to load.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The procedure on Toshiba's varies by model. F2 for some, F1, or even pressing and holding ESC followed by a function key. Best bet is to check your documentation, or download the manual from Toshiba.

i went to BIOS and everything is fine (nothing is overriding it)? any other suggestions on why it is doing that

Windows overrides bios. Did you check the power saving settings... if so, what are they?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."