Going to a wireless LAN... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Going to a wireless LAN...

- Do I need put encryption pass AND in router AND in usb stick?
    I asked about range because I suppose that thief must be in this range, right? Can any1 does this job or only wizards can? Can I do it? How? If some1 enters in my connection, wont I see him? Can I enter in his connection too?

- What is the difference between modem/router and access point? I havent understood what is "access point".

Losses with the sail? I do not understand this phrase. Covering anything that is not designed to be covered is going to be bad for the ventilation.
    I mean that if infrond of the antenna is a cloth/sail maybe the signal wont be so good and maybe I have (speed) losses?
    Well, if u insist that I must not cover (even if its not "close-bodied") the router, then I wont cover it any more, I ll let it in the dust

WLAN is Wireless Local Area Network. What does your manual say about the colour indicators?
    Indicator must be green I suppose, green r all active indicators. Although I have Wir.Loc.Area Networking, this leds is red

Which ever you are most comfortable with
    Comfortable? I prefer the most speedy option. If has no difference then why not stay as I m(pc1 wired, so I wont need buy another wireless usb stick) Meanwhile I tried remove router in another room and I saw losses in the speed! insted of stable 54 I saw some 24 and 36..maybe of the wall eh.
    Personally a machine that is downloading alot would benefit from using the wired connection as it is usually faster.
    Are u sure about this? I have opposite setting!
    Its pc2 which downloading a lot, and this pc is not wired, its the one with the wireless usb. So since u tell me so I ll wire this with the router(as u see, I always follow u )
    When u say "faster", how much faster? 20%? 40%?
    I have adsl4096/512 (4mbps, this means max downloading speed 430kBps)
    Last edited by kolokythaki; April 10th, 2007 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kolokythaki
    - Do I need put encryption pass AND in router AND in usb stick?
    The router password is not encryption. There is a separate section for controlling the security of the wireless lan. I suggest you use WPA. No I can't tell you how to set it up - unless of course I download the manual and then read it, then quote the relevant pages. I know you can read, so I suggest you speed things up by just reading the wireless security pages of the manual for yourself.

- I asked about range because I suppose that thief must be in this range, right?
    Yes.

- Can any1 does this job or only wizards can? Can I do it? How?
    Anyone can do this with a few instructions from the internet.

- If some1 enters in my connection, wont I see him?
    not unless you have monitoring on and you read the logs.

- Can I enter in his connection too?
    Yes if s/he is stupid enough to not secure his/her own connection.
    - - What is the difference between modem/router and access point? I havent understood what is "access point".
    An access point is the wireless transceiver, it allows ACCESS to the wired network.
    The router routes the internet connection (WAN) to the wired connection (LAN) ports and to the wireless access point(WLAN). The modem connects to your isp (WAN) via a cable or a telephone line.

- I mean that if infrond of the antenna is a cloth/sail maybe the signal wont be so good and maybe I have (speed) losses?
    quite possibly, but since I have not ever covered a wireless access point with a cloth, I don't know.
    - Well, if u insist that I must not cover (even if its not "close-bodied") the router, then I wont cover it any more, I ll let it in the dust
    I do not insist, I advise. If you choose to ignore that advise, that is your decision. I have told you that it might cause heat issues to the point where the cloth may catch fire if in close proximity to the router.

- Indicator must be green I suppose, green r all active indicators. Although I have Wir.Loc.Area Networking, this leds is red
    Your manual will tell you what the leds mean.

- Comfortable? I prefer the most speedy option. If has no difference then why not stay as I m(pc1 wired, so I wont need buy another wireless usb stick) Meanwhile I tried remove router in another room and I saw losses in the speed! insted of stable 54 I saw some 24 and 36..maybe of the wall eh.
    The most speedy is a wired connection. Moving the router can cause speed issues. Every wall, surface and piece of furniture has an affect on radio waves. You see the result in the speed and signal strength.
    -
    Are u sure about this? I have opposite setting!
    Yes I know

- Its pc2 which downloading a lot, and this pc is not wired, its the one with the wireless usb. So since u tell me so I ll wire this with the router(as u see, I always follow u )
    When u say "faster", how much faster? 20%? 40%?
    I have adsl4096/512 (4mbps, this means max downloading speed 430kBps)
    A wired connection usually runs at 100mbit a sec and is rarely subject to interference. However, if you are only downloading and never transferring, then your wireless connection is faster than your internet connection, so you will only have issues of interference with the wireless signal.

As for how much faster, wired 100mbit, your internet 4mbit and your wireless at least 10mbit. So your wireless is at least twice as fast as your internet and a wired connection is up to 10 times faster than a wireless connection. Having a fast internal connection will not speed up your downloading speed. It just means that moving the files around your network will be faster if the connections are wired.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

First of all I want make clear this:
    When I m talking for internet downloading speed I m talking ONLY for outside/outdoor internet. This is what I m interesting most, the local network for transfering files is not so important, this can wait.
    So, when I say I have a 4mbps connection, I mean that I can download files from all over the world with max 430kB/sec. Could this number be reduced if pc is wired or not wired?

So, access point = receiver? the cisco wireless usb stick I have in my 2nd pc?

The red blinking WLan led means internet activity without securirty... Hey, thats me!!

About the encryption, I m not familiar with this job. Can I just check if there are any others entered in my network? If I see them, then I ll look for encryption!
    I installed and run "Network Stumpler"... It found 3 APs active...One with a green indicator(My SpeedTouch modem/router) and 2 which I have no idea.
    I tried run the auto encryption from Cisco software but with no result(I dont remember the error msg I got but it was something it couldnt find), the 2nd time I tried I had a blue screen...
    Any other free easy program which check if any1 entered your network?

Now, about the rest,
    The router password is not encryption
    I understood that. Point now is if router also needs encryption as well as receiver too.
    Anyone can do this with a few instructions from the internet.
    Ok then, if any1 then why not me too... where r these few instructions? I want read them now.
    not unless you have monitoring on and you read the logs.
    That is what I want, how can I monitoring on and read the logs?
    Yes if s/he is stupid enough to not secure his/her own connection.
    I dont think its about stupidity (am I stupid? ) its about ignorantness, how do u expect from some1 do something that is not familar with it?

First of all I want make clear this:
    When I m talking for internet downloading speed I m talking ONLY for outside/outdoor internet. This is what I m interesting most, the local network for transfering files is not so important, this can wait.
    So, when I say I have a 4mbps connection, I mean that I can download files from all over the world with max 430kB/sec. Could this number be reduced if pc is wired or not wired?
    OK, so leave things as they are, no problem
    So, access point = receiver? the cisco wireless usb stick I have in my 2nd pc?
    wireless networks can work with access points (infrastructure) or on an ad hoc basis. This means that the cards or usb sticks in the pcs can create their own wireless networks. You can restrict connection to only infrastructure which means the pcs will only connect to proper access points, not to each other.
    The red blinking WLan led means internet activity without securirty... Hey, thats me!!

About the encryption, I m not familiar with this job. Can I just check if there are any others entered in my network? If I see them, then I ll look for encryption!
    That is your choice. I do not adivse it. At least look up mac filtering which allows only those mac addresses you type in to connect.
    I installed and run "Network Stumpler"... It found 3 APs active...One with a green indicator(My SpeedTouch modem/router) and 2 which I have no idea.
    So you are the only one locally who others can steal internet from
    I tried run the auto encryption from Cisco software but with no result(I dont remember the error msg I got but it was something it couldnt find), the 2nd time I tried I had a blue screen...
    Blue screens are worrisome, you may need updated drivers and post the actual error.
    Any other free easy program which check if any1 entered your network?
    the wireless access point software included in the modem router will have the ability to show you connected devices.
    Now, about the rest,
    I understood that. Point now is if router also needs encryption as well as receiver too.
    If you encrypt the access point, you can't connect the pc until you enter the encryption code in the pc as well... you lock the access point and you need a key on the pc to open it... same goes if connecting between pc's without an access point.
    Ok then, if any1 then why not me too... where r these few instructions? I want read them now.
    then use a search engine... you want me to teach you to steal???!!!
    That is what I want, how can I monitoring on and read the logs?
    Check the router/modem/access point manual about connected devices.
    I dont think its about stupidity (am I stupid? ) its about ignorantness, how do u expect from some1 do something that is not familar with it?
    Would you go out and leave all the doors and windows open at your house? If you were robbed would the local police say "oh nevermind, you were just ignorant"? Or would they laugh their heads off and call you stupid when you weren't listening?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OK, so leave things as they are, no problem

the question was, how is better(faster); wired or wireless?
    wireless networks can work with access points (infrastructure) or on an ad hoc basis....
    Not sure if I understood what is "access point" but I do not have such thing, right? So lets not talk about this thing any more.
    At least look up mac filtering which allows only those mac addresses you type in to connect.
    Could u tell me how to look this? "mac filtering"? And would this show everything 100% for sure?
    then use a search engine... you want me to teach you to steal???!!!
    No, of course not, I dont want steal. My thought was that if I know how this thing works, then I could face it up better if I accept attack.
    Would you go out and leave all the doors and windows open at your house? .....
    Locked the house is very easy for every one. But for someone who just got something like wired network, sounds much more difficult. If its difficult for me who I m somehow literate with computers, imagine about other people...
    -Will encryption reduse the abroad internet speed?

-If I cover with a black tape the blinking leds(annoying in the dark) could this cause any problems?

Originally Posted by kolokythaki

So you are the only one locally who others can steal internet from

What do u mean I m the only one? That these locally 2 will steal internet from me? Why not steal among them-one from the other? Why not I couldnt steal myself from them?(hypotheticaly speaking)
    Here are 2 images with what Network Stumbler usually shows me

I broke some numbers for security-dont know if could be any problem.
    (I see these results from pc2, the one who have the wireless connection, pc1 which is wired shows nothing)
    The green spot goes to my SpeedTouch.
    The other 2-3 I have no idea who are they.
    "Otenet" is the national ISP here. The icon means is unter encryption? The others not?

So, these people could steal from me?
    What else can I do with this program(Network Stumbler) exept watch the other wireless connections in my area?
    When I shut it down asks me "Will you save changes? Yes-No" althought I have done no any changes.
    Can this program show me if I m unter attack?
    Last edited by kolokythaki; April 20th, 2007 at 06:24 PM.

the question was, how is better(faster); wired or wireless?
    I already answered that. Wired being 100mbits is faster.
    Not sure if I understood what is "access point" but I do not have such thing, right? So lets not talk about this thing any more.
    you do have such a thing, the access point is the wireless tranceiver builter into the modem/router you bought
    Could u tell me how to look this? "mac filtering"? And would this show everything 100% for sure?
    mac filtering is a form of security. Read the manual for your modem/router/wireless.. it will tell you how to set it up.
    No, of course not, I dont want steal. My thought was that if I know how this thing works, then I could face it up better if I accept attack.
    fine, so do some research. It cannot be answered in your favoured one word simplistic answer.
    Locked the house is very easy for every one. But for someone who just got something like wired network, sounds much more difficult. If its difficult for me who I m somehow literate with computers, imagine about other people...
    you can read, you can look at the manual and use the setup wizards to do encryption. Locking the house is not easy for someone who doesn't know how to use a key... you just need to learn.
    :
    -Will encryption reduse the abroad internet speed?
    yes it can do, but not by much, your internet is still much slower than your wireless, so you won't notice any download speed difference.
    :
    -If I cover with a black tape the blinking leds(annoying in the dark) could this cause any problems?
    No
    :
    What do u mean I m the only one? That these locally 2 will steal internet from me? Why not steal among them-one from the other? Why not I couldnt steal myself from them?(hypotheticaly speaking)
    Here are 2 images with what Network Stumbler usually shows me

You have no security, so anyone can connect to your wireless, they have security so that you can't connect to their wireless.[/quote]
    :
    I broke some numbers for security-dont know if could be any problem.
    What does this mean? What exactly did you do?

:
    (I see these results from pc2, the one who have the wireless connection, pc1 which is wired shows nothing)
    wired networks will not show anything since they are wired. Only wireless shows up in netstumbler.
    :
    The green spot goes to my SpeedTouch.
    The other 2-3 I have no idea who are they.
    "Otenet" is the national ISP here. The icon means is unter encryption? The others not?
    Yes the padlock icon means it is encrypted.
    :
    So, these people could steal from me?
    YES anyone can steal from you because you have not encrypted the wireless or prevented access by using mac filtering.

:What else can I do with this program(Network Stumbler) exept watch the other wireless connections in my area?
    When I shut it down asks me "Will you save changes? Yes-No" althought I have done no any changes.
    Can this program show me if I m unter attack?
    If you are not prepared to read the help files nor research why you need encryption or implement encryption or mac filtering, I cannot help you.

I already answered that. Wired being 100mbits is faster.
    I mentioned very clearly that I m talking ONLY for abroad internet. U probably speak for local lan.
    you do have such a thing, the access point is the wireless tranceiver builter into the modem/router you bought
    But when I asked "...so modem/router=access point" u told me "No" !
    mac filtering is a form of security. Read the manual for your modem/router/wireless.. it will tell you how to set it up.
    Your talking for the modem's security code?
    This is is easy to set it up but will this tell me if someone will try to enter my network from the opposite house? I thought u have already told me "no"
    ...your internet is still much slower than your wireless, so you won't notice any download speed difference.
    Same answer as first quote.
    Will encryption affect the ABROAD(NOT the local lan)internet speed?
    You have no security, so anyone can connect to your wireless, they have security so that you can't connect to their wireless
    I see from the padlock that only "otenet" user have security, the other 2 dont have, right?
    So, someone of these 3 people can connect me, no anyother, right?
    What does this mean? What exactly did you do?
    Only what u see in the images... I used "paint", u cant read some of the numbers/letters.
    If you are not prepared to read the help files nor research why you need encryption or implement encryption or mac filtering, I cannot help you
    I read the files and tried run the linkys encryption wizard as but I received a blue screen, as I said. By the time u can help if u answer my exact questions.
    So, u dont know if NetStumbler can show me if I m unter attack or what else can I do with it.
    Last edited by kolokythaki; April 22nd, 2007 at 04:20 AM.

You have had your answers. Time for you to implement them. If you choose not to read the answers, that is your affair. Perhaps you should employ someone local to you so that you can discuss your concerns in your own language. They can then show you what to do and what pages of the manual to refer to. Thread is locked.

What about your antilogies?
    Why not make them clear.

Which particular antilogies?

Please ask a technical question

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    It appears to me that all questions asked in post #1 were answered in post #2........

All antilogies are written with details in post#22.

Post #22 is a post made by you. Please quote what you consider to be an antilogy.

post #22 describes your antilogies, why dont u just answer this post??

Antilogies are contradictions in terms. I don't see any. I asked you to quote which ones you think are antilogies, then I can answer.