I need new games

Thread: I need new games

Exclamation I need new games

OK so here's the situation I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I played Star Wars Galaxies the MMO for over 3 years. Last night I was banned and not sure why but sony did ruin the game so rather than be mad or cry about it I see it as a blessing to free me of the bond I made with it from my fandom. So now I'm back into a broader gaming spectrum the problem is. I don't know what to look for. I've become a fan of MMOs to a degree but I am a fan of FPS games though they have a low lifespan of replay value. I do like very long interactive RPGs such as Baldurs Gate, Morrowind, and Arcanum. I also like the large scale strategy games that require you to build up an empire and engage in many smaller battles, such as Masters of Orion 2 & 3, Pacific Theater of Operations II, and 1502 AD. I guess what I'm saying is what games do you all like and why so I can broaden my horizons. I'm a huge fan of playing games I can share with others online. But I am not adverse to single player games. If anyone has tried Pirates of the Burninig Sea in beta let me know what you think of it.

PS - In MMOs I am a huge fan of customizeability and making my character have an individualistic appearance so if that's an option in a game I love to know.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Get a wii ... best thing evar!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

LOL I'd love to but don't have a tv that works at the moment. Plus computer games allow for mods. No not hacks but mods to add to the fun. My sis got a Wii I love the thing. Makes me wish I had the budget to get a plasma tv and The Legend of Zelda for the Wii.
    One Script to find them.

Wow! You mean there's gaming beyond Bejeweled 2? Just joking. kinda. I got burned out on most FPS games years ago. Really, since DOS games like Doom, they haven't changed much. Sure the sound and graphics are better, but most are still studies in arrested development.

BUT, I really liked Bioshock. You could play it for the storyline, plus the graphics and sound are fresh amid a whole slew of "heavy metal/grunge" lookalikes. World in Conflict is good, too. You can play it without getting bogged down in micromanaging your resources, unlike so many realtime strategy games.

I also like the Total War series, though I have some serious reservations about the gameplay. Specifically, manuevering your troops is very awkward, and it's hard to give units orders. The opposing AI doesn't labor under the same constraints. Still in a world short of decent Ancient and Medieval combat sims, it's as good as it gets.

I miss Doom... Maybe I should throw together a Win98 machine and load it for old times sake... No, wait, I always lost without the cheat codes, so maybe I'll just stick to solitaire.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Doom 3 is pretty close to the original. The improved graphics and sound are nice, but in many ways it's like a stroll down memory lane. I had fun with it, and you can get it really cheap now.

The Witcher?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    I miss Doom... Maybe I should throw together a Win98 machine and load it for old times sake... No, wait, I always lost without the cheat codes, so maybe I'll just stick to solitaire.

Have you tried Spider solitaire? If you have XP it is same place as solitaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    The Witcher?

Looks like it would be a good game here is just a little about it http://www.amazon.com/Atari-The-Witcher/dp/B000R2XJJK

I've pondered those options that were thrown to me. I'll have to look them over more closely now that you all suggested them. I really wish there were some good in depth WWII games out there. Most are just short thrown together blast fests. Has anyone tried Shadowrun? It looks like a totally FPS game but they hinted at it being MMO like.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357
    Looks like it would be a good game here is just a little about it http://www.amazon.com/Atari-The-Witcher/dp/B000R2XJJK
    Tell me about it, my desktop is the only system in the house that can run it. Because of this, my GF has appropriated my system as her notebook (fairly high end one too) won't even run it. (out right refuses to even run).

I'm still waiting for my turn at the game.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

OK so found out that the Shadowrun is a total online fragfest. Not my forte well kind of my forte but would last about 2 months before it got monotonous. Wish Fallout 3 was out. I think my big thing is random pvp with people as I'm noticing I miss hunting rogue players in SWG and taking them out when they really don't want it.
    One Script to find them.

I still like return of Castle wolfenstein. What is wierd At the last part I could
    not shoot no button worked. Let me back up I had that program on my computer for at least 8 mos. And it was like somebody took over.
    I removed it from computer and was going to reload it, It prompted and said
    game already installed I searched in registry, Program folder, Windows
    folder. No sign of it.

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357
    I still like return of Castle wolfenstein. What is wierd At the last part I could
    not shoot no button worked. Let me back up I had that program on my computer for at least 8 mos. And it was like somebody took over.
    I removed it from computer and was going to reload it, It prompted and said
    game already installed I searched in registry, Program folder, Windows
    folder. No sign of it.
    Just a thought, but if you're still using the same install of windows and want to play that try running ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com and have it scan the registry and repair any issue. This usually looks for dead strings/links in the registry and takes them out since they're not directing to a file anymore because that file is gone.

I considered Tabula Rasa for a game but I dunno it's so hard to really know what I want to play when I can't demo the games am interested in. I'm almost to the point of going back to writing a script for a game. But a script is useless unless you have a development team. Well now that I think of it..... anyone know anybody who would like to make a mod for Morrowind that would revolve around a Star Wars theme?
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    The Witcher?
    That seems a nice game, my friends like it.