Please help! Computer won't restart/shutdown, font change .txt firefox, weird behavio

Thread: Please help! Computer won't restart/shutdown, font change .txt firefox, weird behavio

Please help! Computer won't restart/shutdown, font change .txt firefox, weird behavio

About my computer: custom build computer build by professionals on ncix dot com, windows XP Home Edition service pack 2 . AMD 2.1 mhz processor, 1 GB RAN, 320 GB seagate HD (it has 58% space available), File fragmented only 1%, 1.96 virtual memory available. 8-9 months old

It all started when i updated windows update on april 14 and also installed youtube uploader and the the problem started right after 2 days ago later then that. I uninstalled youtube uploaded but the problem still persist. what happens is the computer works fine for the whole day but after 9-10 hours or more for some reason it does all kinds of weird things. For example like first, on a saved notepad .txt the place where the name of the .txt is disappears (where the name and Red X mark is to close whatever your using). Even if i close and re-open it, its their and it happens basically to all programs, files I open and including firefox browser. Then it gets even worst like when i re-open a saved .txt file the font changes and also the font changes on firefox also automatically. Then I try to restart and shutdown my computer many times but it doesn't do anything (no message, its like i didn't even click the restart or shut down button) Then it gets more worse by firefox browser not opening and start menu saved shortcuts disappeared. So I had no choice but to manually power off the computer by unplugging it and when it is back on EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL! But just to be caution, I deleted all temporary internet files and cache. Then, I scanned my computer with kaspersky internet security but it didn't find anything. Also checked windows task manager for any suspicious process running and googling it and didn't find anything suspious. I even tried hijackthis tool but it didn't find anything also. I don't know whats the problem is since after 10-11 hours again (not continous work since I only surf online, read ebooks, sell on ebay, watch vidoes and nothing like that needs a lot of power like playing games, photoshop, making movies, etc) it does the same thing over in the same pathern. Please ADVISE on what I should do since I do not want to damage/erase all the MEMORABLE documents, photos and other things My family deeply cherish. We will be waiting on anything that can remedy our situation!

It sounds to me like a wicked virus. My humble suggestion would be to boot up into safe mode by depressing the F8 key repeatedly upon boot up and run your anti-virus there. I would also run Spybot, but before anything, get a cd or dvd and copy all valuable data to it. If all else fails, have a professional do a repair overload of Windows XP, which will overwrite the XP portion but keep your programs and settings.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

It may well be a virus, but it could also be heat.
    In fact it sounds somewhat like one I fixed for a heat problem.
    Fans all clean?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    It may well be a virus, but it could also be heat.
    In fact it sounds somewhat like one I fixed for a heat problem.
    Fans all clean?

It is the heating issue since I ran numerous spyware programs. It happens when my CPU temp. reaches 95F. Is that normal? If not how can i fix this since this is a custom build PC build by pros in ncix dot com and they overclocked even though I don't play any games or do anything that require more processing power. Also, if i undo overclocking will it harm my computer in any way

95F is not hot at all. For any cpu
    If you actually mean 95C then thats way way way too hot.
    What do you mean NCIX overclocked it?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I would try these tests to see if there is more evidence for the "over heating" theory:

1. running the machine with the case open and pointing an electric fan at the mother board if your crash happens much later it supports the theory.

2. download memtest86 (memory test tool) let it run 24hrs hours and occasionally check the status - does it crash later. While testing the memory - which is a good thing to do, your CPU is being "excercised" by this utility (probably not much) but if it runs normal for many test passes and goes wierd later it would support the theory too.

To Ferrit: I do mean 95F not 95C and I am contacting NCIX about what they overclocked if they did and let u know the answer when i have the info

Quote Originally Posted by relay12b
    I would try these tests to see if there is more evidence for the "over heating" theory:

1. running the machine with the case open and pointing an electric fan at the mother board if your crash happens much later it supports the theory.

2. download memtest86 (memory test tool) let it run 24hrs hours and occasionally check the status - does it crash later. While testing the memory - which is a good thing to do, your CPU is being "excercised" by this utility (probably not much) but if it runs normal for many test passes and goes wierd later it would support the theory too.

I never opened a computer so is it safe for to do so for an beginner like me. And downloading memtest86 and running it for 24hrs won't harm my computer in anyway right (I am a little paranoid about running test on my system)

Never mind about the heating issue because i was wrong since this time the problem start happening again and the temperature was low. I believe it is a registry issue since it happened as soon as i clearned some registry from cclceaner (Ccleaner.com) and I had to manually shutdownn again (tried CTRL + DEL + ALT didn't work) So what should I do know?

did you fix your PC's registry issue?