How Do I Remove Stubborn Keys from Registry?

Thread: How Do I Remove Stubborn Keys from Registry?

Banned

How Do I Remove Stubborn Keys from Registry?

i installed avast anvtivirus program. and i uninstalled it. but i want to uninstall it ocmpletely. i went into the registry and deleted many avast keys. but there are some stubbron keys that wont be removed. when i try to remove them, i get an error saying access is denied. how can i get rid of these difficult to remove keys?

Most times there is when you have a program uninstall itself, you will find leftovers in the files and registry. If you want better success, use something like Revo Uninstaller. Reinstall the program and use this.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Food for thought: Removing a couple hundred entries out of a couple Million entries isn't going to make any sort of difference.

You might want to Google: Avast Removal Tool and grab a copy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    Most times there is when you have a program uninstall itself, you will find leftovers in the files and registry. If you want better success, use something like Revo Uninstaller. Reinstall the program and use this.
    i read about Revo.. and the comments on it werent good. i read that Revo can mess up the registry, if i'm not mistaken. but if youve had good experiences with Revo and had no problems with it, then let me know.. and i'll consider it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Food for thought: Removing a couple hundred entries out of a couple Million entries isn't going to make any sort of difference.

You might want to Google: Avast Removal Tool and grab a copy.
    yeah i tried the removal tool. and its giving me problems. weird. i really need to delete these stubborn reg keys. any suggetions?
    Last edited by oblad; August 15th, 2012 at 06:51 PM.

So did you uninstall it or delete the folder and now have errors coming up? The removal tool is a brute force remover that will kill anything that would start up on the computer that would impede performance related to the utility. When you say you are getting problems maybe you can elaborate on what those specific details are so we know what is going on.

As far as registry cleaners go, they all are dangerous, some more so than others. Be prepared at any moment to hose your pc using any of them regardless of how positively they are rated. Using a registry cleaner is really just relying on a tool to guess for you on what should be removed from the registry.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    So did you uninstall it or delete the folder and now have errors coming up? The removal tool is a brute force remover that will kill anything that would start up on the computer that would impede performance related to the utility. When you say you are getting problems maybe you can elaborate on what those specific details are so we know what is going on.

As far as registry cleaners go, they all are dangerous, some more so than others. Be prepared at any moment to hose your pc using any of them regardless of how positively they are rated. Using a registry cleaner is really just relying on a tool to guess for you on what should be removed from the registry.
    hi niclo. yes i agree with you 100% about reg cleaners. i dont trust them either.

anyway, i uninstalled avast and deleted its folder. i'm using the find option in regedit to find anything that says "avast". when i find them, i delete those keys. however, there are keys that wont let me delete them. when i try to, i get a message that says:

"unable to delete all specified values".

a walkaround to this (which i discovered 15 mins ago), is going into Edit>Permissions in regedit. and under the User Name/Group: 'Everyone,' i check 'Full Control'. i'm then able to delete the stubborn key. but, it only grants me full permission once. to delete the next key, i then got to go back and grant myself full permission again cuz the 'full control' box becomes blank again. so my question is, how can i get full permission all the time permanently without having to go through this manual process?
    Last edited by oblad; August 15th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.