[RESOLVED] HELP! System keeps reseting :(

Thread: [RESOLVED] HELP! System keeps reseting :(

Forge

Post HELP! System keeps reseting :(

Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on my troubles...

I recently purchased a new machine, things have been fine for the first couple of weeks but now it has decided to do a complete system reset every now and then at uneven intervals but usualy after an hour or so. I have an Asus CUV4X board running at 133 FSB with a P3733. Bios is up to date as are my VIA chipset drivers. The Bios settings check out etc as well. I have a Maxtor 40Gig Dimond Plus and a Creative Anniliator2GTS as well...all my drivers check out. After hours of looking and determining I have NO viruses I still cant find the problem. Im also running Win98 SE.
    Could this machine be running hot or something....confused. ANY help would be welcome.

what size power supply??
    #3 1951-2001

Forge

I currently have an ATX 250w power supply. And speaking of power, I also have in this system a DVD player and Yamaha burner. Is 250 enough?

250 is enough, but 300 would be better.
    The power supply might be going bad.
    I would replace it.

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

iceman

I have heard of some systems running the 133 memory having reboot problems. It is a timing issue between the memory and the rest of the system. If you can, have the manufacturer send you new memory and try it. I have also had a system or two where the video card would overheat and reset the system. Just a thought...

b_fleury

With those video cards, I would suggest trying a 300 watt power supply, we've come accross power problems with higher end video cards. It could also just be a bad mobo.

I would also check in your BIOS under the Health status. I would check to see if your CPU temp is exceeding the normal operating temp. I have had some computers shut down when the CPU gets too hot.
    Some days you are the dog, some days you are the Hydrant.

visit http://www.digifuge.com

cdogg

Try disabling everything under the power management in the BIOS and in Windows. Sometimes a call to STANDBY mode will reset a machine.

returnit

Thumbs down

I think you should just return that machine to where you just bought it, if you bought it at a store or from a dealer. It could be anything, but it sounds like a motherboard problem. Save yourself some headaches and go back to that store. Exchange it for another one!!!.
    Originally posted by Forge:
    Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on my troubles...

I recently purchased a new machine, things have been fine for the first couple of weeks but now it has decided to do a complete system reset every now and then at uneven intervals but usualy after an hour or so. I have an Asus CUV4X board running at 133 FSB with a P3733. Bios is up to date as are my VIA chipset drivers. The Bios settings check out etc as well. I have a Maxtor 40Gig Dimond Plus and a Creative Anniliator2GTS as well...all my drivers check out. After hours of looking and determining I have NO viruses I still cant find the problem. Im also running Win98 SE.
    Could this machine be running hot or something....confused. ANY help would be welcome.

Forge

Smile

Well, I want to thank everyone for helping me attempt to find my problem. It seems that the problem was infact my power supply at 250W. It was either not enough or defective. I now have a 300W and its been running smoothly for the last 2 weeks now, no problems at all.

Thanks again.