Asus A7M266 Problem

Thread: Asus A7M266 Problem

Post Asus A7M266 Problem

I've got an Asus A7M266 and a Athlon XP 1500+ with 256 DDR. I got it all set up fine and when i hit the power button for the first time the monitor came on and the system went into the bios screen. I set every up as normal, system bus etc... and then it restarted. The info screen says i have an Athlon H-series rather than an XP. Whats going on?? If i let the system boot up it hangs after it's found all the IDE and pci devices. Does the same thing every time. I know the cpu is fine as i've tried it on a friends pc and it works ok.

I have seen posts before with people running 2000+ and higher on it. Does it need a bios update?? If so will i have to get hold of an older Athlon to flash it as it won't boot??
    Machine Spec:
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    ABIT KD7-E
    512mb DDR PC2700
    ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR
    TDK Cyclone 32x
    Pioneer 8x DVD
    1x IBM 80gb 7200 ATA 100
    1x Maxtor 120gb 7200 ATA133
    SB Audigy + Soundworks DTT2200

Banned

quote:
    Originally posted by jimbob2001:
    I've got an Asus A7M266 and a Athlon XP 1500+ with 256 DDR. I got it all set up fine and when i hit the power button for the first time the monitor came on and the system went into the bios screen. I set every up as normal, system bus etc... and then it restarted. The info screen says i have an Athlon H-series rather than an XP. Whats going on?? If i let the system boot up it hangs after it's found all the IDE and pci devices. Does the same thing every time. I know the cpu is fine as i've tried it on a friends pc and it works ok.

I have seen posts before with people running 2000+ and higher on it. Does it need a bios update?? If so will i have to get hold of an older Athlon to flash it as it won't boot??

Asus A7M266 bios update available on windrivers start page (latest drivers/bios) ,,,before doing this i suggest that u UNPLUG all devices except vid card and a floppy drive (or even a cd-rom) and try rebooting - in the case of cd-rom boot order cd-rom / floppy etc and use a win 98 cd-rom.

it sounds more like u have something connected that will not initionalise,

I have seen many boards advertised as amd xp ready... ready doesn't seem to mean drop in one and go, ready seems to mean they can cope if the bios is updated.

As ever, read the instructions for updating the bios and follow them carefully.

You say it won't boot?

Does it post, or do you mean it won't get to the a:\ prompt using a boot disk?

If the latter is the case, then I agree with Freddy, try to boot with only the minimum - vid card, one stick of ram, then add back one item at a time, starting with the floppy drive.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Banned

as previously stated , it does post?

sounds very much like a faulty periferal ,,,,however ,,,what is your bios No.?

site states the following info:

Add Thoroughbred CPU as Athlon XP naming.
    Add Geforce 4 VGA card support function.

Support New XP2000+ and XP2100+ CPU
    Add HDD LBA48bit mode support.

Add support for AMD Athlon XP CPU.
    Add support for AMD Morgan

there is also a prog that allows to update the bios whilst in windose/on the net , this is on your support CD

Exclamation

quote:
    Originally posted by freddy:
    there is also a prog that allows to update the bios whilst in windose/on the net , this is on your support CD

I think you've answered the question

BUT I've had nothing but trouble with this method & users (not me! ), which involved reading a lot of Ruslan's posts on how to re-programme faulty bios chips...

Use awdflash or ami, whichever?, if you've never done it before, read the instructions carefully and back up your current bios, you can't boot (however far..) so backing up ain't so critical but as i read it you can at least post...

If you can't complete boot (what os is this?) then you might have trouble flashing without other stuff......But if you can try it on a friends pc can you not borrow his chip or is it newer?

BTW is this a fresh install (whatever o/s) or are you trying to get new m/b & chip working with an old install?

i'm using a a7m266 previously with a thunderbird 1200(200 fsb) and now with an xp1800. i had to flash the bios for the newer xp cpu to be detedted properly.
    do this an you should be fine.
    E R R O R...
    ------------------------------->

sorry and if not.. then do as they say remove all that you dont need. and try rebooting again. all sorts of 'interesting' things can happen when such small things have been overlooked.. [Frown]
    E R R O R...
    ------------------------------->