Are people getting dumber???

Thread: Are people getting dumber???

Angry Are people getting dumber???

I get to work this morning and the first call I get is from a lady that tells me her computer is locked up. I tell her to hold down power button for 10 seconds. She tells me it's still at her desktop. I tell her to just unplug the computer from the wall. She again tells me that it's still at her desktop. By now I'm already banging my head on my desk... I then tell her to unplug EVERYTHING from the back of the computer, after about 10 seconds she tells me that it's still locked up at her desktop. I'm like WTF!!! Do you have some kind of infrared power supply and monitor??? You shouldn't be seeing anything on the screen with everything unplugged!! Since it's Friday and I'm not going to let her ruin my day I just tell her this issue is beyond my technical support and hung up.. I can already tell this is going to be another great day for tech support..

yeah, I'll ahve to agree the world is getting dumber by the minute.

[quote]Originally posted by clbates:
    <strong>I get to work this morning and the first call I get is from a lady that tells me her computer is locked up. I tell her to hold down power button for 10 seconds. She tells me it's still at her desktop. I tell her to just unplug the computer from the wall. She again tells me that it's still at her desktop. By now I'm already banging my head on my desk... I then tell her to unplug EVERYTHING from the back of the computer, after about 10 seconds she tells me that it's still locked up at her desktop. I'm like WTF!!! Do you have some kind of infrared power supply and monitor??? You shouldn't be seeing anything on the screen with everything unplugged!! Since it's Friday and I'm not going to let her ruin my day I just tell her this issue is beyond my technical support and hung up.. I can already tell this is going to be another great day for tech support.. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure she hasn't got a laptop?????
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't, It was one of those POS Compaq 7000 series. When I have a customer call with one of those my head even starts to hurt before they even begin to explain what the problem is. I honestly don't see how I can support these systems w/ the crap parts Compaq puts in them and the ignorance of the customer..

It's weird, computers have pretty much replaced our own brains, most people I have come across just don't even think for themselves anymore. Email and SMS messages have replaced talking to people for a start and we often sit mindlessly staring at the screen for hours on end. I live for the day people actually realise that they can think for themselves and reboot there own machines without having a tech to hold their hands throughout the ordeal

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

No, computers are getting so easy to use that dumber people can use them.

There wasn't two computers next to each other were there (or what I did to someone once where I hid a Mac under the desk and connected it to their normal monitor by an adapter lead, really freaked them out ).
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Most users don't have the knowledge to do that kind of stuff because they rely on the helpdesk to tell them what to do.

If they would just learn a little something about how a computer works, our jobs would be alot easier.
    *The official eating utensil of all WinDrivers members*

Are you sure that when she said it was still on her desktop that she wasn't across the room from the machine? I have actually had several problems like this - "Oh, I need to be near the computer to solve this issue??? Why? Can't you just zap it or something?"

[quote]Originally posted by clbates:
    <strong>I get to work this morning and the first call I get is from a lady that tells me her computer is locked up. I tell her to hold down power button for 10 seconds. She tells me it's still at her desktop. I tell her to just unplug the computer from the wall. She again tells me that it's still at her desktop. By now I'm already banging my head on my desk... I then tell her to unplug EVERYTHING from the back of the computer, after about 10 seconds she tells me that it's still locked up at her desktop. I'm like WTF!!! Do you have some kind of infrared power supply and monitor??? You shouldn't be seeing anything on the screen with everything unplugged!! Since it's Friday and I'm not going to let her ruin my day I just tell her this issue is beyond my technical support and hung up.. I can already tell this is going to be another great day for tech support.. </strong><hr></blockquote>

My first thought was the computer was physically locked up - in a cabinet or something...
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Ya know, i replied to this topic all wrong the 1st time. Here is what I should have said.

Yes, they are getting dumber. It's not their fault. They were born stupid and we are here to help them be less stupid, or die trying.