Where Do I Plug in my USB Leads to Enable my front USB Ports? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where Do I Plug in my USB Leads to Enable my front USB Ports?

In simple words, something that attaches to a port on the computer to provide a different port. For example...some PC Card NICs have a small connector that you plug a dongle into and on the other end is a network jack.

Sorry if my explanation isn't the greatest maybe you get the concept though.

Banned

and i always thought that the correct usage for the word "dongle" was security device ,,,

u see I have a customer that uses a very expensive programm called "signlab" (this is used for cutting vynel signs -etc) ,,,this programme is encripted by a "dongle" ie a device that plugs into the com port and allows the prog to run ,,,without it the prog will not load. ,,,,the prog is the price of a blank disk ,,,but the dongle is several hundred £. now this site sells security dongles http://www.keylok.com/?source=kanoodle

now the wireing for USB ports (as supplied in a booklet with my NEW lian li case)

3 vcc red
    3 data- white
    3 data+ green
    3 gnd black
    4 gnd black
    4 data+ green
    4 data- white
    4 vcc red

that is for USB Nos 3+4

this case has got 4 on the front and the asus board has 2(next to k/board) + 2 on included rear bolt on panel + 2 on the asus i-panel ,,,,but u can only get 8 to work at any one time (da**)

freddy

Wink

Here's your m/b specs Tekram P5M3-a

There are only two usb ports! These, he says squinting at the pic, look hard wired. You can buy PCI add on cards with slip pin connectors to allow you to move the connections to the front...

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

quote:
    Originally posted by Orangeman:
    I'm glad my question generated so much discussion-and the answers to which saved me from having to go out and buy another.

By the way, What's a Dongle?

I meant it in the sense of AT boards where ports (eg parrallel, serial, sound, video), usually reside on blanking plates, and plug into the board, via ribbon ribbon cables (kinda like small IDE plugs).

It can also apply to PCMCIA NIC's, like Jungleman says, devices that plug onto serial/parrallel ports to validate software licenses (normally on expensive software, such as LightWave, AutoDesk etc). Or as a hardware 'key', like freddy says.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

There are only two usb ports! These, he says squinting at the pic, look hard wired. You can buy PCI add on cards with slip pin connectors to allow you to move the connections to the front...

.....Actually this is incorrect. My original board came with two usb ports. They are working fine. However the new case I put it in has two USB ports also - but in front, not in back. I was wondering how to activate them.

This whole thing started when I transferred the contents of my old desktop, which I had going on 5 years into a more functional tower case. When I did this I had to rearrange my 'desk-top' also. When I did this I discovered that I had one usb cable that wouldn't reach my scanner if it were plugged in at the back, but would if it were plugged in at the front. It was actually simpler to buy a longer USB cable. However I was wondering out of curiosity how to activate those two front USB's.

This whole thing has taught me to get a consensus of opinion before you assume that the person advising you has the advice you need.
    Bouncy Bouncy

quote:
    Originally posted by Orangeman:
    However I was wondering out of curiosity how to activate those two front USB's.

This whole thing has taught me to get a consensus of opinion before you assume that the person advising you has the advice you need.

Orangeman, you may have misunderstood Confus-ed, he has given you the correct advice. Your motherboard only has the facility to use the fixed USB sockets, nothing more. However a USB card with headers for extra connectors would allow you to use the front sockets on your case. It would also have the advantage of allowing you to use more high bandwidth USB devices at the same time, e.g webcam, scanner, printer, which would otherwise have to share the bandwidth of the same connection.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Upgrade%20Card%20Manufacturers.htm

Yes, it's always wise to double-check advice you receive.

quote:
    don·gle Pronunciation Key (dôngl, dng-)
    n.
    A hardware device that serves as copy protection for certain software by rendering the software inoperable when the device is not plugged into a printer port.

I also have had use of many of these Dongles, with some of our estimating softwares. I'm not sure if anyone's ever herd of it, but Quickpen software used to use this same technology before they upgraded to software liscenses. I always figured that the dongles were more secure, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Also, I've often herd the devices that connect to a PCMCIA Nic are referred to as a dongle. This dosn't fit the definition I found however.

Question

I think its one of those antique anti software piracy devices, a hardware key that sits in a port to let software work? i think, anybody care to verify?

Banned

quote:
    Originally posted by Lips2001Ad:
    I think its one of those antique anti software piracy devices, a hardware key that sits in a port to let software work? i think, anybody care to verify?

yes , but by no means antiquated ,,,I and others have mentioned "current" progs that use this system , and i have actually given u the link to a company that supplies this equipment

FTF

Question

do they have some kind of chip in them or do they just short pins, if they just bridge pin conections surely they are easy to replicate?

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

quote:
    Originally posted by Lips2001Ad:
    do they have some kind of chip in them or do they just short pins, if they just bridge pin conections surely they are easy to replicate?

They normally have an encryption key held on a memory chip.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up