[RESOLVED] What is the oldest piece of hardware you currently own?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] What is the oldest piece of hardware you currently own?

MAYHEM

Post What is the oldest piece of hardware you currently own?

I don't neccassarily mean in a working machine, Ijust wondered who's collecting what kind of junk.

Example: I currently have a 10 MB SCSI Seagate Hard Drive (has a dial on the side that protrudes through the faceplate to "zero" the heads on start up)

I also have a WD40 MB HDD (when I bought it my friends said,"are you nuts? whatare you goingto puton 40 mb?")

I also have a 512k memory upgradefor a Tandy 1000 (anyone remember SIPP memory?)

What's your green dinasaur??

------------------
    There is no Spoon!

The oldest thing in my closet is a vintage 1985 Western Digital 40MB MFM drive. Everything else has gone in the circular file, but I just picture myself someday building a house and using the drive as the cornerstone.

The oldest thing in my production PC (the one from which I am responding right now!) is a vintage 1992 Media Vision ProAudio Spectrum Studio (16bit). The monitor may possibly be older, but I can't remember. Regardless, it's a 14-incher that gets 640x480 resolution and no better! LOL

I also still have my IBM PC-DOS 3.0 diskettes and the IBM box and manual it came with, just in case I want to reinstall it. And I still have all of my 5 1/4" floppies (360K) in a box. Just in case, you know? (-;

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

MAYHEM

My WD is a Model WD93044-a built 10-31-90. Hasn't lost a sector and still boots DOS 3.0.

Howabout yours?

rfmathis

I have several 286 mobos in the closet and a couple of 386's as well as a HUGE 40mb hard drive and controller board. Also some one gave me an old 8086 system(they said to use it for parts ;-)). In non-PC stuff, have a still-working Commodore 128 and about 50 floppies for it(mostly games). Long live the classics!

Cool

I have various CPU models in a box.
    From Z80 to iP166MMX. They are all working.

Lots of memory SIMMs and DIMMs. Starting from 1MB 32pin SIMMs to 32MB SDRAM /pc100.
    All kinds of cache and vga memory.

More that 10 HDDs. Most of them are not working properly, but I keep them.
    From MFM 40Mb to 1.6GB.

Various VGA cards. ISA, VLB, PCI and AGP.
    Various sound cards. Adlib 8bit ISA, Opti 9xx ISA, Sound Blaster 16bit ISA etc.

Some old modems. From 9600 to 33.600.
    I use a 14.400 on one of my machines to send faxes. It still works fine.

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind."
    Sokrates
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

I have an IBM dual 8" floppy drive, huge Priam 20MB MFM HDD, working Vic 20 and a working IBM 8086 complete system. The oldest thing that I still use is a 1987 Epson LX-800 printer.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

3fingersalute

We have XT's laying sround in a back room that still work, why we save them I have no idea???....Got a really cool old monochrome monitor that switches between Amber/Green/White..talk about fancy!!! I also have a 286 case & power supply that originally had a 286 with a 67MB RLL HD in in, (people thought we were nuts to buy the 67MB, they said the 40MB HD was more than enough!!!). This was our original store computer, it has been upgraded to a 386, 486 and now has a P5/150 motherboard running off the original power supply...the original 5.25" and 3.5" drives both still work too! We just keep it in our classroom to see how long it will live....we bought it originally in 89!!!

------------------
    [email protected]

Origional tape drive from the vic 20 (anyone remember "press play on tape"?)

KERNEL32

Cool

I have a Apple IIc and an IBM PS1 and they are both still in perfect working order. i also have a WYSE 60 dumb terminal Unix board which does not work.

Jerome Kwok

Thumbs down

I have a Japan Sanyo PC... i8088XT with two 5.25" 360kb drive, no HDD, no mouse. It runs DOS 3.3, Wordstar and GW-BASIC in the old days. Not working now.

Thumbs up

TI 99/4A with cartridges (games, extended basic), speech synthisizer, and cassette tape drive.

------------------
    Three things are certain: Death, taxes, and lost data.
    Guess which has occurred.
    Three things are certain: Death, taxes, and lost data.
    Guess which has occurred.

A double sided 4MB Simm, that I originally paid $279.00 for it.
    I also paid $50.00 for a computer store to install it.

Those were the days a computer technician made some real money.
    Now you will be lucky to make $50.00 on a whole computer system.

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Thumbs up

I've got a Apple IIc too with a black/green monochrome monitor - the machine boots up but the screen is stuffed - I still have the Star NL10 printer to go with it!! good ole 9pin dot matrix! )

In the PC world, the old 360Kb 5 1/4" floppies are around the cupboard somewhere! That's about all...

Talking

I've got a working Tandy 1000HX "upgraded" to a mindblowing 640k ram. 300 baud modem installed and external 5 1/4" disk drive, (360k of course). I also have the monitor that was recommended for purchase with the system. A CM5 RGB monitor. I also have a Tandy Color Computer 3 lying around somewhere. It has BASIC preprogramed to load upon bootup. I even have the Super Breakout cartridge game that came with the computer.

------------------
    "Life is hard...But its harder if you're stupid!"
    John Wayne
    "Life is hard...But its harder if you're stupid!"
    John Wayne

Kenny P.

Thumbs up

In reverse chronological order:

IBM AT 286 w/4m ram, 40mb HDD

IBM XT w/640k, 4m EMS RAM, 10MB HDD

Apple ][e w/256k RAM, Super Serial Card, Z-80 Card, and a 10mb Sider HDD

OSI Challenger 1 Superboard w/64k RAM, single sided FDD (5.25). Interestingly enough, this still works, and was the first computer to have Microsoft BASIC in ROM.

I also have a 300M 8" Priam SCSI HDD that still operates. This thing has a power supply that can weld metal.