It's something with the server

Thread: It's something with the server

Angry It's something with the server

This is so annoying. Today in my "Advanced" Office class, we started doing Access 2000. Our instructor wanted us to open a database that was located on a shared network drive that only faculty and staff can write to; students can only read.

Well I was off in my own little world and then he started walking around the room asking if anyone was having trouble. Apparantly (first problem)- everyone was getting a "This file is a read-only file" message when they opened it and he didn't understand what the problem was....that they were students and naturally, with that drive, they can only read the files - According to him though, "It must be something wrong with the server."

Second problem. When he told people to copy this file to the desktop (when all of the students have personal space on a file server that they could have saved it on, but that's another post), they would open it and all was fine....until he discovered that this file was missing all of the tables and whatnot that should have been there....."There must be something wrong with the server that's causing this problem."

Well, to make a long story short, he copied the file HE was using to the shared student read-only drive, and everyone tried to get it, of course they got the same message and all, so I just copied it to my personal space. I noticed when it copied though, that it was about 8k larger than the file we originally were trying to use. I opened up the file and everything was there. I raised my hand, got him to come back there, told him that they needed to copy it to their personal network drive and open it from there, his reply to me was "No, there's something wrong with the server and that's what is causing this problem."

The story could go on a little further, but that's enough for now. It just annoys me so much that he has all of these Microsoft certs listed after his name and everything, but that's just plain annoying to me.

I know, this probably doesn't make much sense, but I'm low on sleep now and trying to get a program to work that's due Friday amidst other school work and all...just needed a break. I'm sure that there will be more stories coming from this class soon...
    "If there's a better use for the Internet, I haven't found it."
    -Homer Simpson

In a way its kinda funny.

But most people who have the cert. are only book taught techs. and they think they know everything. most of use here or mostly street taught right? learning on our own got some help from firends or maybe even got some answers from a book while stoping buy a book store.

this is why i hate school so much, all the teachers are book techs adn when they teach they read all out form the books. nothing more, i get so bored in class i cant help but to play around

What gets me is the total inability to admit the possibility of being wrong. I've yet to meet anyone in the tech field (and I know a bunch of old timers out there) who really knows it all. And even those who come close still make stupid mistakes from time to time. I think the real hallmark of someone who doesn't have a lot of experience is not being able to listen when someone else finds the solution first.
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go

Kind of like this computer course I had to take as part of my college program - the instructor got annoyed at me because I knew more than he, and I kept correcting him in class. I know it might have been rude, but I couldn't let another generation of ill-informed techs be sent out into the workplace.

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>Kind of like this computer course I had to take as part of my college program - the instructor got annoyed at me because I knew more than he, and I kept correcting him in class. I know it might have been rude, but I couldn't let another generation of ill-informed techs be sent out into the workplace.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a teacher like that right now... We tend to ignore him, only about 10% of the people in the class don't know the intermediate to advanced uses of windows 2000

The teach get's pissed off cause no one wants to answer his questions.. (we are too busy playing games )
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

[quote]Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong>

I have a teacher like that right now... We tend to ignore him, only about 10% of the people in the class don't know the intermediate to advanced uses of windows 2000

The teach get's pissed off cause no one wants to answer his questions.. (we are too busy playing games )</strong><hr></blockquote>

sounds like one of my classes. It was Called Advanced hardware 2 and it was the last computer class for my degree. for one session (two and half hours) he talked about keyboards and all the different types and he never got into how they commucate with the computer.

Solitaire, what a lifesaver.

[quote]Originally posted by flyboy747:
    <strong>The story could go on a little further, but that's enough for now. It just annoys me so much that he has all of these Microsoft certs listed after his name and everything, but that's just plain annoying to me.
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

MS certs don't mean a thing if you don't have the real world experience using all that knowledge that they supposedly prove that certified techs have. I have come the conclusion that when an isntructor starts a class by babbling on about how many certs they have, that is a good sign that they do not know squat.

One of the instructors for my NT server class (years ago) started the class by telling everyone that he did not have any MS certs and did not plan on getting any. His experience consisted of 25 years as a mainframe and server engineer for IBM and that he knew what he was talking about.

That was good enough for me. Most informative IT class I have ever taken.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Banned

[quote]Originally posted by TTTTTHHHHIIIIISSSLLLOOOONNNNGGGG:
    <strong>

MS certs don't mean a thing if you don't have the real world experience using all that knowledge that they supposedly prove that certified techs have. I have come the conclusion that when an isntructor starts a class by babbling on about how many certs they have, that is a good sign that they do not know squat.

One of the instructors for my NT server class (years ago) started the class by telling everyone that he did not have any MS certs and did not plan on getting any. His experience consisted of 25 years as a mainframe and server engineer for IBM and that he knew what he was talking about.

That was good enough for me. Most informative IT class I have ever taken.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Honestly the best teachers I have had have had a mix of both real world experience and the certs. I went to a company that provided trainers, labs and the whole works. They test their instructors, only hire those that have real world experience, and don't let them teach a class without having the master certification. All that equals quality classes with good instructors. Only problem is that this place is mega-expensive. Won't be going back anytime soon.

Also, for those that feel that they have to "test" the instructor, Please don't. I am going to be going back to some class soon, as I am always trying to improve myself and make myself more marketable. All you are doing by toying with the instructor and trying to trap them is slow the class down and confuse those that might not fully understand the topic. If they say something blatantly wrong, correct them, but be polite about it, and not some smug punk. I had one of those in my first computer class ever, after getting me and half the class confused, I asked him to follow me outside during a smoke break. He shut up after that, and eventually found out that the teacher actually knew what she was talking about and taught him something.

Sorry about rambling on, but I have always hated people that fart off during class and disrupt others, and in know way am I blaming a single person on this board, I am just ranting about generalities.

[quote]Originally posted by TTTTTHHHHIIIIISSSLLLOOOONNNNGGGG:
    <strong>

MS certs don't mean a thing if you don't have the real world experience using all that knowledge that they supposedly prove that certified techs have.</strong><hr></blockquote>
    I worked with a book trained monkey as a tech. The guy was nice and all but didnt know squat. He somehow managed to get his A+ and Network+. By the time he quit, he should have been fired, he was almost an MCSE and working on his cisco certs. He claimed that he was moving on to a 6 figure job, god I hope that was a lie because he deserved about a buck an hour.

I remember when he came in for an interview. He went through a little quiz picking out parts on a motherboard. He thought that the ISA slot was a DIMM slot and the PCI slot was a SIMM slot. I have no idea what the AGP slot would have been if the board had that on it.

The reason he got hired was the manager at the time was a bigger moron than him.
    You mean something broke and you didn't break it? ~ ZIM
    I know I'm scared too. ~ GIR

I took a computer course this year. well, my guidance counsiler knows i want to go to school for networking if i graduate (I'm a senior this year, and lately I've had a bad case of senioritis). So she thought that it'd be great if I took "computer literacy with windows 98". well, the teacher didnt' know what she was doing, and for the first two weeks of class i kept correcting her every time she said something dumb, which could really fill a book.

I got lazy after this and didn't do any work in class or homework at all for the rest of the course (it was a half year course) but she had already learned who was boss, i passed with an A+. i knew everything anyways, but if she made my homeowrk grade count like the other students i probably would have failed most of them only passed because of their homework grades, i think it was like 80 percent or something. yeah, so now she tells me im her best and favorite student every time i see her.

what's up with these dumb "teachers" this was a high school course teaching win 98 and office and the teacher confused the class so bad they couldn't do **** on the tests! oh well, i had i point but it got lost along the way... and i don't care enough to put in the effort to make sense...
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

[quote]Originally posted by TrackMan:
    <strong>I took a computer course this year. well, my guidance counsiler knows i want to go to school for networking if i graduate (I'm a senior this year, and lately I've had a bad case of senioritis). So she thought that it'd be great if I took "computer literacy with windows 98". well, the teacher didnt' know what she was doing, and for the first two weeks of class i kept correcting her every time she said something dumb, which could really fill a book.

I got lazy after this and didn't do any work in class or homework at all for the rest of the course (it was a half year course) but she had already learned who was boss, i passed with an A+. i knew everything anyways, but if she made my homeowrk grade count like the other students i probably would have failed most of them only passed because of their homework grades, i think it was like 80 percent or something. yeah, so now she tells me im her best and favorite student every time i see her.

what's up with these dumb "teachers" this was a high school course teaching win 98 and office and the teacher confused the class so bad they couldn't do **** on the tests! oh well, i had i point but it got lost along the way... and i don't care enough to put in the effort to make sense...</strong><hr></blockquote>

First of all, I know a little about a lot, but also know what my limits are. I am defined by civil service law as a computer lab aide (New York State).

Here in NY, at High School level, the teachers are required to integrate computer\internet use in their courses, even when the majority of them can't use a computer! They haven't been properly trained. What's even worse is the 2 teachers 'teaching' the Cisco course may be certified as 'teachers', but they do little or no teaching! Everything is online.

This past week has me really tired out. When teachers will be out due to in service training, they send the kids and subs to the computer lab. We had Nimbda hit the WHOLE school district this week. When I should have been in the lab, i was in other parts of the building, then had to sub for the woman that runs the huge Xerox copier for the whole district! What a waste of paper there...will leave that for another subject

Oh, almost forgot! Almost forgot! My son was a freshman Basic Keyboarding and asked what the operating system was on the computers they were going to be using. Teacher replied that it was "Windows 97". He's one of the ones teaching Cisco

Sue

I think technical education in High School is a big problem. I'm working in a private school (I'm the tech, so I seldom have to teach anyone but the teachers , and the teachers really have to struggle here to do anything at all. On the one hand, most of them don't really have much technical training. Also, they're teaching a broad range of students, from some who can barely use a keyboard, to a few who are writing scripts for me to tell me when our connection has bogged down. On top of that, the objectives are very vague at best. A lot of teachers here treat the computer lab as baby-sitting, while others want the teachers to teach video editing, photoshop, or writing labs - none of which really fit into the training that the teachers do have. And, finally, the teachers (here, at any rate) don't get much support from the administration. They don't have an established department (read 'lobby') like History, Science, etc.
    I think anyone in High School who really wants to learn something technical is probably better off doing most of it independently anyway. Teachers (who usually have live outside of school having nothing to do with computers) just can't compete with what's out there for free.
    a LARTing we will go
    a LARTing we will go
    hi-ho the derrio
    a LARTing we will go

Unhappy

I think its great that a lot of schools like the one I work at are trying to emphasize computer ed. What sucks, however, is that they are taking teachers who have little to no experience with them and plunking them down into a class.

I suppose it makes sense. After all, 55+ yr old teacher who used to teach typing should have no problem teaching her students Word, Excel, Pagemaker, and Quark. If they gave these people a little in the way of training themselves I am sure it would not be so much trouble.

Hey, lets thank our lucky stars that these idiots you are all coming across in classrooms are actualy "in" the classrooms and not running the IT department where you work. I've taken 6 courses recently regarding the Windows 2000 MCSE track. I can honestly say that only 2 of the 6 different tutors I had knew what they were talking about. As someone earlier in this topic said, thankyou Windows 2000 for including freecell!
    I never apologize to anyone ever. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am. (Homer Simpson, 1999)