[RESOLVED] Abit BX-6 rev.2 Bios update

Thread: [RESOLVED] Abit BX-6 rev.2 Bios update

Chopper

Question Abit BX-6 rev.2 Bios update

I have been wanting to update the BIOS on my motherboard for sometime now. I am not very familiar with BIOS updating. I have been reading on Abit's site about updating the BIOS on their website and I am a little confused. From Abit's site:
    ___
    Copy the ABITFAE.BAT, AWDFLASH.EXE and latest BIOS file to the bootable diskette. Execute the EXE file to be a BIN file (Binary file).
    Finally, just type ABITFAE ***_**.BIN where (*) is the Bin file. Then press (Enter) under A: prompt. It will be updated automatically by itself with all parameters.
    ___

How do you get to know the Bin file? I am not sure, but is it "BX6_**" where the ** is the bios version?

Also it recommends to make a bootable disk wich will automatically update the BIOS in the event of an update failure. When you make an autoexec.bat file, just create the file name and add the required content:
    A:\AWDFLASH NEWBIOS /PY /SN /CC /CD
    A:\AWDFLASH BH6_GY.BIN /PY /SN /CC /CD
    again, mine would be the "BX6_**.BIN" where the ** is the bios version I think.

I know BIOS updating is a very sensitive opteration, and if not done correctly, I may be shopping for a new motherboard. ANY info anyone could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Maybe someone could explain it to me in a little simpler way. THANKS!!!

------------------
    Chopper

Thaar

Talking

I just updated my Abit Bx2.0 bios a week ago. Its fairly easy, so relax . First download the 3 files from abits site the actual bios, the awadflash and AbitFae. Than make a bootable floppy disk. 3rd you are going to need to erase few files from the new bootable disk there are 2 one I think is fdisk and I think format they're yellow marked folder just erase them to make space. Than this is the part you have to experiment on the bios file I think bios name right now is KU execute it and it turns into a bin file and copy the bin file to the disk and also copy the other 2 files to the disk. Now most important part is you need to find out what Bios version you have its on the bottom of your screen when you 1st boot up. Write that down and just in case. The letter KU or whatevr the new bios version is will be wriiten in the *** area.
    So AbitFaeKU.bin "KU" being your new bios version. Also you will know if you it worked or not. When you reboot the system again after successfully flashing the bios go into your Bios and set everything to default thats VERY IMPORTANT. and save everything to the default setings and continue to load WINBLOWS and you can later on reboot and change your BIOS settings to your liking. If you have anymore questions just send me an e-mail

------------------

Chopper

Thumbs up

Thaar,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad it isn't as difficult as Abit's website makes it out to be to update the Bios. I will give it a try.

------------------
    Chopper

SoccerFiend76

Question

just a quick question. Why do you need the update? What is the problem that needs to be resolved? The old addage if it ain't broke don't fix it, fits perfectly with MB flashes. The bx6 rev 2 is a relatively recent board and should not *need* updating

Also, even if done wrong most MBs have a jumper on the board itself that can reset the bios. Failing that unplug the battery for a few minuts. You should at least be able to enter the bios and reconfigure your system.

Cheers,

GBJ

Chopper

I was wanting to either upgrade to the latest Celeron processor with a SlocKET adapter or just go all out and get a Pentium III 550. I will have to update the Bios for either processor. The newest BIOS update version LU resolves some kind of Y2K RTC function issue and a couple of other fixes as well.

------------------
    Chopper

Ramage

Question

SoccerFiend...I'm not sure if your 100% correct in your assumption that by removing the battery you can recover from a failed bios upgrade. Same for using the clear cmos jumper, or using a boot disk. Course, I could be wrong on these newer motherboards, I haven't had one fail on me yet...but on an older Socket 7 Spacewalker motherboard, during the upgrade it suddenly flashed a message that the upgrade failed...and that was it...no nothing. Even following the steps to recover that were posted on the spacewalker site didn't help.
    If your bios/cmos is completely shot because of a failed attempt to upgrade or reprogram the chip, then you don't have any POST, or anything to detect if you have a floppy to boot from. And usually moving the jumper doesn't help much, as there's nothing left to reset.

Ramage is right, if the bios flash gets screwed up somehow or is corrupted the bios chip is no good and has to be pulled and a new one put in. I did read somewhere that if you had another motherboard of the same type you could start it up with good bios chip, pull the chip, insert the bad chip and reflash it, but I am not sure if I would want to try that. Most people have no problems falshing there bios and screwups are rare. I have flashed several and have never had a problem.