2 ide wd hdrives, master and slave
    2 atapi cdroms, creative cdr rw master, and teac 6x slave
    3d blaster banshee pci/agp (using agp) 16mb
    adaptec scsi 2906
    iomega zip drive, parallel port
    nikon ls 1000 scsi scanner
    storm flatbed non-scsi scanner
    epson stylus photo 700

i've posted and reposted this message on intel's forum, i've e-mailed creative, for two weeks i've been having this problem, hoping that someone on this board is able to shed some light on this matter that is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my cdrw worked fine for a week, until i came
    across an update posted on creative's website(6-21), i performed the update exactly as in the readme, after as i went to close the update dialogue as instructions in the readme in order to restart the computer and the screen went blue with the following error: fatal exception OE at: 0177:004570e1, since then i haven't been able to use my cdrw, it shows up on the post when i start up, it shows in win98 under "my computer" with it's corresponding icon, and it shows (without conflicts) in system devices with the proper name, i'd like some help regarding this problem, it was working fine until i did the update, abcd prassi (bundled software) is unable to access the drive, all i
    get is: drive not ready, the same with nero burn (also bundled), it shows up in nero when i go to: choose recorder, but when i try to access it it gives me
    the same message: disk not ready, now i have an old slave cdrom hooked to the master creative 4224e, the only disk that i was able to burn with nero, i'm able to see it in the old teac, as i'm able to see any cd in the slave drive, not so with the creative, now i've reinstalled from
    scratch the cdrw, the connections and jumpers on both cdroms are ok, the cable that connects to the mobo was changed for another new one, the software has been uninstalled and reinstalled several times, my mobo is an intel se440bx-2, it has its own seonday ide port, where the cdroms are connected. i've reinstalled the software with the original, doesn't work, of course i
    uninstalled before installing for the second, third , fourth, etc., times, i really don't know what to do, i've gone for the updates at nero, and it still doesn't work. everytime i try to install your update, the same error occurs, i'd
    truly appreciate somone please shed some light on this problem, at this point i am truly frustrated, i purchased this cdrw to replace my zip drive, and honestly i'm having second thoughts, although, in the short time it worked, it was great, again please help me, i use this for work not pleasure, thanks
    alan

SoccerFiend76

Exclamation

Is it possible to remove the update? As with all hardware updates i recomend NOT upgrading unless there is a need to do so. Also note that bios flashes and the like often void the warrenty

it sounds like the update has corupted the input/output (I/O) of the cd-rw. I have not done this update to my yamaha cd-rw for this reason. It works great why fix it?

creative labs should have the info on restoring/repairing the onboard bios of the cd-rw. Is there any kind of reset function on the cdrw? Some flash-capable devices can have their settings erased and set back to the factory default.

Also try to redownload the update (or have a friend with a fast connection download it for you. It is possible that your update file is slightly corrupt and thus the cd drive itself will not function properly.

One more thing, is it possible to read from the drive through my computer or windows explorer?

Hope this helps,

GBH
    Ps- in the future steer clear of hardware updates unless you really *need* to update it. The zip drive cannot touch a cd-rw. I would only consider a jaz drive anyway.

[This message has been edited by SoccerFiend76 (edited July 17, 1999).]

larryspc

Hi,
    I may be late, but maybe I can offer some insight. Delete your cd-rw entirely, software too. restart windows without the cd hooked up. after windows restarts check your system to see that the drive is gone. Shut windows down, hook up your CD, restart your system, have windows has restarted re-install CD-RW software. if your is a creative 4224e, reinstall the software (abcd and Nero). It should work fine