info on power supply?

Thread: info on power supply?

info on power supply?

I have a hp 560w with a hipro200w power supply I need more watts because of so many upgrades i was thinking of a 400w power supply can anyone tell me what to look for ..... Becasue i would hate to get one and it not have the right connectors and not be the right size to fit my case and would like it to fit without moding my case if i can ????
    IF YOU DON'T ASK YOU WILL NEVER KNOW.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpot316
    I have a hp 560w with a hipro200w power supply I need more watts because of so many upgrades i was thinking of a 400w power supply can anyone tell me what to look for ..... Becasue i would hate to get one and it not have the right connectors and not be the right size to fit my case and would like it to fit without moding my case if i can ????
    You're going to need a power supply that willl fit into the HP tower, most hp's don't take a standard sized power supply.

Depending on the layout of your mainboard, I would just upgrade the case while you are replacing the power supply. Cases almost always include a PSU with them and don't cost a whole lot more than buying a new power supply anyways.

Not to mention getting a new case will give you some room to get your hands inside and work a little bit, those HP towers are some damn small!

ps- took a look at hp's site, and they don't even stock psu's for that machine any more, so if you want a new psu for that tower, you will need to try and find (google) a third-party selling aftermarket replacements.
    Last edited by 3fingersalute; July 12th, 2004 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    You're going to need a power supply that willl fit into the HP tower, most hp's don't take a standard sized power supply.

Depending on the layout of your mainboard, I would just upgrade the case while you are replacing the power supply. Cases almost always include a PSU with them and don't cost a whole lot more than buying a new power supply anyways.

Not to mention getting a new case will give you some room to get your hands inside and work a little bit, those HP towers are some damn small!
    well I was hoping on not doing all that that sounds like a big job to take everything out of my case and putting it in a new one just to have a better power supply there has to someone that make them small enough to fit and have good power somewhere everything is good ALL but the depth on mine is only 4 inches and most supplys are over that and my cd drive is keeping me from going much over that the POWER SUPPLY I have now is a BESTEC ATX -1958D IF THAT HELPS i also have another pc just like this one same model but it has a HIPRO A2007A3 THEY are both the same size

These PSUs are the same, different manufacturers, but same wattage and pinouts... Besides, it is possible to use a standard power supply, just a little mod to the case may be required because of different location of the power connector... but it is not a big deal - I did the same for Dell case... Also it is possible to use the similar PSU from another HP systems - now HP uses mostly stadard-sized 250Wt PSU (from the same manufacturers as before) in almost any of new systems... No case mods will be need, but you'll be limited to use only short-sized CDROMs... (I guess,you've got system in an older case)...

By the way, HP uses the same PSUs as yours (just only 200wt) in their fully loaded multi-media systems like m200y, m300y, m260n, m270n
    Specs are :
    1. P4-2,8 up to 3.2 HT, 800Mhz,
    2. 512Mb/1Gb DDR3200
    3. DVD+RW
    4. DVD-ROM or CDROM
    5. HDD 120-250GB
    6. Internal USB Card-reader
    7. FDD
    8. SB Audigy/Audigy2
    9. TV-Tuner
    10. GeForce FX5200 -128m /or Radeon 9200
    11. PCI modem card.
    12. Extra case fan.
    13. ASUS Micro-ATX motherboard (usually P4SD-LA, 800Mhz FSB)...
    Enough? - no empty slots!

The same PSUs are used also in m376n, pc854n, pc864n, pc884n and so on multimedia systems... And you can imagine, everything is working fine...
    So, it is rather myth what you need much more powerful "400Wt and up" PSU...
    Most of those cheap "350Wt", "400Wt, "450Wt" PSUs are in fact just only remarked 200Wt models! The same components inside, just only sticker outside is different!
    They cannot be compared by quality with PSUs what you already have!
    I'm not saying about actually decent PSUs - they itself cost much more than cheap cases together with s....ty PSU...
    Even new P4-3,2 /AMD 3400+ models are using just only 250Wt PSUs - it's a fact!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan
    ...Most of those cheap "350Wt", "400Wt, "450Wt" PSUs are in fact just only remarked 200Wt models! The same components inside, just only sticker outside is different!
    I'm not saying about actually decent PSUs - they itself cost much more than cheap cases together with s....ty PSU...
    Aye: and it's a SAD fact!
    So, Rus, I really don't know what you are saying here. PSU's are really important, and you seem to infer that the "cheapo" ones work ok? Is that what you are saying? Or, do quality PSU's really make a difference? IMHO they really do!! So: what do you think?

These PSUs are the same, different manufacturers, but same wattage and pinouts... Besides, it is possible to use a standard power supply, just a little mod to the case may be required because of different location of the power connector... but it is not a big deal - I did the same for Dell case... Also it is possible to use the similar PSU from another HP systems - now HP uses mostly stadard-sized 250Wt PSU (from the same manufacturers as before) in almost any of new systems... No case mods will be need, but you'll be limited to use only short-sized CDROMs... (I guess,you've got system in an older case)...

By the way, HP uses the same PSUs as yours (just only 200wt) in their fully loaded multi-media systems like m200y, m300y, m260n, m270n
    Specs are :
    1. P4-2,8 up to 3.2 HT, 800Mhz,
    2. 512Mb/1Gb DDR3200
    3. DVD+RW
    4. DVD-ROM or CDROM
    5. HDD 120-250GB
    6. Internal USB Card-reader
    7. FDD
    8. SB Audigy/Audigy2
    9. TV-Tuner
    10. GeForce FX5200 -128m /or Radeon 9200
    11. PCI modem card.
    12. Extra case fan.
    13. ASUS Micro-ATX motherboard (usually P4SD-LA, 800Mhz FSB)...
    Enough? - no empty slots!

The same PSUs are used also in m376n, pc854n, pc864n, pc884n and so on multimedia systems... And you can imagine, everything is working fine...
    So, it is rather myth what you need much more powerful "400Wt and up" PSU...
    Most of those cheap "350Wt", "400Wt, "450Wt" PSUs are in fact just only remarked 200Wt models! The same components inside, just only sticker outside is different!
    well i know that i have a psu that just came out of a dell p4 3.3 and it has only 250 but it is alot bigger in size to the one i have in my 560w and alot heavyer but there are no way a 200w 10a is going to out perform or be close to a 400w 20a the problem i have is when i put in my new 9600 video card on some games it will just shut down and the screen will flash like its low on power it may work fine with the old 200w psu but i would feel alot better if a 300w or better was setting in it but my pc is about over 3 years old now and i dont need to keep putting alot of money in it but psu are on the cheap side so i thought i would help it out alittle

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Aye: and it's a SAD fact!
    So, Rus, I really don't know what you are saying here. PSU's are really important, and you seem to infer that the "cheapo" ones work ok? Is that what you are saying? Or, do quality PSU's really make a difference? IMHO they really do!! So: what do you think?

I believe what Ruslan was saying is that a decent 250w psu is much better than a cheap 400w psu.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot316
    well i know that i have a psu that just came out of a dell p4 3.3 and it has only 250 but it is alot bigger in size to the one i have in my 560w and alot heavyer but there are no way a 200w 10a is going to out perform or be close to a 400w 20a the problem i have is when i put in my new 9600 video card on some games it will just shut down and the screen will flash like its low on power it may work fine with the old 200w psu but i would feel alot better if a 300w or better was setting in it but my pc is about over 3 years old now and i dont need to keep putting alot of money in it but psu are on the cheap side so i thought i would help it out alittle

What you say is true..... sort of. What Ruslan is saying that a cheap 400w PSU that SAYS it is 400w and 20a isn't always able to do that. Especially reliably. Some will overheat. Some just won't do it and blow long before they get that far. The problem is, those small cases make it pretty hard to get a good size ( ie watts ) psu in them. Even if you can get a small one that is rated high it is probably undercooled and will burn out fairly quickly if you use it near capacity.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    I believe what Ruslan was saying is that a decent 250w psu is much better than a cheap 400w psu.
    I thought as much, just wanted to hear it from him.
    Indeed, the replacement PSU's I carry cost more than the cheap cases out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    Exactly! Sorry, I didn't say say it clear enough...

And I do believe HP uses pretty decent PSUs - otherwise how can just only 200Wt PSU can handle with all these mentioned multi-media stuffs?... We're selling mostly HP/Compaq systems, and I didn't notice many PSU failures... Far less than 2% as far I as know... cannot say the same about cheap noname "350Wt"-"450Wt" PSUs we have on sale... These 250Wt Bestec/HiPro PSU are having weight almost twice more than those fake "3XX-4XX Wt" PSUs... go figure... If someone still remember, I once posted at Windrivers comparison table of electronic components inside actual (normal) PSU of different (not fake)wattage... my topic is gone long time ago, but if someone has saved it, I would re-post it again...
    Last edited by Ruslan; July 13th, 2004 at 06:54 PM.