No Sound Card found after clean XP Installation

Thread: No Sound Card found after clean XP Installation

Registered User EmiL_The_Viking's Avatar

No Sound Card found after clean XP Installation

I bought my HP Pavillion ze5170 when i was in USA back in 2002... Now I'm back in Norway, and tried to do a clean XP PRO install in norwegian. I used the recovery cd to get display driver, but i cant get my sound card to work. I searched www.hp.com but i cant find the sound drivers or any other solution for my computer there... I see many of you have the same problem as i, and i was wondering if any of you could help me? When I try to play sound it says "No device for sound, or soundcard may already be in use"...

Welcome to windrivers emil. HP has a 42Mb XP driver download here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...reitem=ob888en
    Your audio appears to be a combo modem/sound chip from conexant, but they make few drivers available. Try this one: http://www.conexant.com/support/files/HSFac97_WinXP.zip If it doesn't work, I think you're stuck w/ the big download.
    Last edited by hudsonsmith; December 30th, 2004 at 06:54 PM.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Is BIOS update something for me maybe? I like to think of myself as average computer user... But tell me where the *downunder* and what the *not heaven* do I do to update my BIOS?

Sorry the bad language, I autocensored it just in case

Greetings from Norway

Quote Originally Posted by EmiL_The_Viking
    Is BIOS update something for me maybe? I like to think of myself as average computer user... But tell me where the *downunder* and what the *not heaven* do I do to update my BIOS?

Sorry the bad language, I autocensored it just in case

Greetings from Norway
    BIOS update is appropriate for specific hardware recognition problems, such as the ability to use a larger hard drive or a faster cpu. Would not help at all for a sound card. In any case, there are no bios updates listed for your laptop.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Also Emil, have you tried the drivers that Hudson pointed out for you a while back? I assume so, since your still posting here, so, what error do you get now?
    Also, have you ever tried calling HP about the "exact" sound driver? They may just mail you one.

Yes,sir. I have tried both. I can't point the device to that driver, since there are no device for sound (or modem) found in device manager. And yes, I talked to HP customer service in Norway, coupple of years ago they actually did send me a driver by mail, but now they can't help me. I talked 1 hour on the phone, and I also wrote them an mail... Last thing they told me to try was to change my computer from ACPI to Standard-PC and reload all the devices. It worked, but when i rebootet my cpu again, the sound card disappeared. And has yet not returned, after several reinstalls and reboots
    One time I found new hardware after installing Service Pack 2... But also after some time, I lost it... "No device for multimedia" at all.

I dont know what a BIOS update could do or not, just had to ask since many of you mention BIOS update

*edit*

Maybe I should try the HP in US for more help... pavilion ze5170 is not available in norway anyway...
    Last edited by EmiL_The_Viking; February 23rd, 2005 at 10:48 PM.

Soory to bother you guys again...

In regedit, i found two entries with conexant.. One Modem and the other one only says conexant...

Has this entry something to do with my sound/modem not to be detected?

Is it possible for me to add a prt scrn of my register here?.. or not if its not relevant

Greetings from Norway (Again)
    Last edited by EmiL_The_Viking; February 25th, 2005 at 10:19 PM.