XP Audio Device - ARGH!!! Where has it gone!?

Thread: XP Audio Device - ARGH!!! Where has it gone!?

Exclamation XP Audio Device - ARGH!!! Where has it gone!?

I'm experiencing similar issues to apparently quite a few people around here after reinstalling XP (audio device isnt detected anymore), but having a generic notebook thats a few years dated, it is causing me serious problems when trying to track down what I need again... can anyone help? I have a Excel P4 ECO 731 notebook, circa 2002 (accompanying notebook cd is loooong since disappeared...). The drivers are installed, its just a matter of acquiring that device again... on that note, dont have a TWAIN driver anymore. Anyone know where I could find one of those?? BUT, priority goes to finding that damn device - I cant live without my music!!! CHEERS GUYS...!

I am having the same problem. It says "no audio device" Is there an audio device I can download off the web so I can hear audio from my speakers???

I have a AMD Duron Processor

Please reply to this or to me at: Email removed to prevent spam harvest
    Thank you so much !!!!!!
    Last edited by NooNoo; March 19th, 2006 at 04:36 AM.

For the Excel, try following this link:

http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=6323

and then the one in the 3rd entry to:

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/dl_a928.html

Further:

Try going to Start/Control Panel/Sounds and make sure that your sound settings are set to Windows Default

There is a Service that runs on XP called "Windows Audio" - ensure it is auto start

Goto to MS site and get latest audio codecs

Posted by Edward Tupou (1 messages posted)
    Just stumbled across this thread and remembered losing nights of sleep over this (not to mention missing uni for about a week). Being a novice I'll try and explain everything as simply as I can (because I am majoring in economics not computing and also because I have a learning disability called "...and where the hells that!" : symptoms of "no audio device": - greyed out volume controls - missing "volume control" on task bar remedy: reinstall sound drivers (I suspect that a virus is going around messing with the registry not to mention our heads) How to 101 (windows xp) 1) start -> control panel -> system 2) system -> Hardware -> "Device Manager" 3) Device Manager -> Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Expand (i.e. click on plus sign) Hear comes the tricky surgery. From the list of codecs and devices look for your audio controller e.g. my computer's audio control device was an "Intel(r)82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Control". 4) Double click on it to bring up properties. Ignore all the "this device is working properly" like you would an ex girlfriend. than move to Driver (top panel). 5) Driver Panel -> Uninstall (Advanced) 6) go back to to start ->control panel -> "add hardware" 7) the automatic search should detect and reinstall the "audio controller driver". 8) Now play that Elvis song, shake your hips in an anti-clockwise manner and book a vacation to come visit me in Fiji (wire transfers and marriage proposals accepted) Legal Disclaimer: in the event that the above wrecks havoc on your computer please direct all death threats and anthrax laced letters to the following address. Bill Gates, Microsoft, USA.

OR

>Carl's solution worked like a charm for me, once I actually read it carefully enough
    >to understand what was going on. It's truly a stroke of genius, and I strongly suggest
    >you try his process before you go reinstalling your entire operating system.
    >To recap in detail (for Windows XP; YMMV):
    >1. From Device Manager (be sure to select View/Show hidden devices), find the 'ISAPNP
    >Read Data Port' device from the System Devices list. (Of note: once I successfully
    >repaired this problem, this device no longer appears.)
    >2. Right click the ISAPNP device, and select "Update Driver"
    >3. Select "Install from a list or specific location"
    >4. Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
    >5. The step I left out on prior trials: UNSELECT "Show Compatible Hardware"
    >6. Be sure that "(Standard System Devices)" is selected under Manufacturer.
    >7. Under Model, scroll down until you see "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator".
    >Select this item, and select "Next>".
    >8. You will receive some frightening error message that you should probably disregard.
    >9. Complete the installation of the driver. You will see your device list magically
    >change before your eyes. The other PNP devices will mysteriously become enabled and
    >active. If not, restart.

gl everyone

Quote Originally Posted by binger
    I am having the same problem. It says "no audio device" Is there an audio device I can download off the web so I can hear audio from my speakers???

I have a AMD Duron Processor

Please reply to this or to me at:Thank you so much !!!!!!
    Go to windows updates and download any audio drivers it offers you.
    Last edited by NooNoo; March 19th, 2006 at 04:37 AM.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666