[RESOLVED] New CD drive..no boot found now?

Thread: [RESOLVED] New CD drive..no boot found now?

dhughes

New CD drive..no boot found now?

I just installed a Mitsumi 12X CD drive in my sons Cyrix 100 computer, running with Windows '98.

After the install, and turning all power back on... it starts to boot (with all the regular info, bios, video etc.) then, stops with a message saying it can't find the boot sector (or something similar).

I tried starting it up with the win98 startup disk... that doesn't work either... ran the scandisk.. and it said all was well?

What is wrong? Help if you can~
    Thanks,
    Dianne

Does the same thing happen when you take the CD drive back out? If it still does, it looks like something happened to your system files on the C: drive. Did you say that you can boot with the boot disk or not? If you can, type "sys c:" from the a: prompt. This will transfer the system files from the boot disk to your hard drive.

Another thing to check is maybe CMOS is configured to boot from the CD before the hard drive. Check your BIOS setup and change the boot sequence to "A,C" or "A: then C:".

Steve
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

dhughes
    Thanks Steve... I'll try your suggestions tomorrow...(I'm too frazzled to touch it anymore tonight!

Darren Wilson
    cvheck that hte CD is set to slave as a lot of drives are shipped out with the jumper set to master. This could be conflicting with your Hard disk if they are on the same cable.

------------------
    Who got game???? I know I do!!!!!!!

visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk