[RESOLVED] How do I get more than 16 colors after a reformat and reinstall

Thread: [RESOLVED] How do I get more than 16 colors after a reformat and reinstall

Brandon

Post How do I get more than 16 colors after a reformat and reinstall

My mother recently purchased a 366 Mhz Maxtech MX3000. It had a terrible tendency with crashing; so the tech support person at Maxtech recommended reformating the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. The installation went ok and it appears that the original problem is fixed; however the color display reset at 16 colors. When I opened the control panel settings; the only options were 2 and 16 colors. How do I reset the display for 16bit colors?

Witman

Brandon, Have you checked that drivers, for the Video Card and Monitor are properly installed? What are the other spec's for that machine?

sounds like windows couldn't figure out exactly what your card was so it installed it's one size fits all vga drivers for the card.

sometimes when you buy a new machine it may include a seperate disk/cd-rom for the video card if so use it and that will fix the problem. if it didn't identify the card then hit the manufacturers site and download the required drivers.

"no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

go to my computer go to control panel go to system go to display go to whatever you have listed there double click the "one" you have there make it blue hit advanced ....change install the drivers for what ever you have there from list all if you have a disc use have disc instead of list all go to settings set it as high as it will go restart the computer go to settings set it as high as it will go or to the settings you desire 800x600
    32 bit true color etc....do not excede the refresh rate if this doesn't work start the computer in safe mode then repeat the directions above """after""" you restart. the system will require restart after every time you make a change this may be your problem get it as high as it will go first then restart then set it to the desired settings DO NOT EXCEDE THE REFRESH RATE FOR THE VIDEO CARD set it to optimal if you require if you are not familiar with the board. hi dennis thanx JULY 13. 1999 1130pm

re-instal drivers/go safe mode...remove display adapter+monitor turn off start....
    [This message has been edited by physjcirl (edited July 29, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by physjcirl (edited August 12, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by physjcirl (edited August 12, 1999).]