I am currently sorting through about three different cases where my clients have installed USB devices with the wrong driver. Somehow these items work about 70% and I'm to correct the other 30%. A USB CD-RW was installed that writes just fine but locks up after every burn. A Sony mem card reader disables the ATAPI Zip etc. Once a USB device is installed incorrectly, is there an easy way to correct it? I have tried reloading the correct drivers, but it vomits on me and reverts back to the wrong driver.
I am at the point where I need a good procedure for manually removing the link between the device and the incorrect driver. For example, the Sony Memory reader is listed as a Generic USB Hub. When I remove it, since Generic USB Hub is in the default INF files, it loads it. If I change the driver under device manager, it states that the driver is incompatable. I know that the driver is the correct one, so what I really need to know is how to remove the association for things like "Generic USB Hub."