Digital Camera Recommendations Needed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera Recommendations Needed

Post Digital Camera Recommendations Needed

Our office is planning on purchasing a new digital camera for marketing purposes. The camera will be used to take pictures of buildings, both under construction and completed. Mostly exterior shots during the day, with some interior pics possible. The camera should also work reasonably well in low light conditions, since there is minimal lighting inside buildings that are under construction. SmartMedia cards and either included rechargable or AA batteries preferred.

USB interface is good, however since most of our computers still use Win95a a serial model would also be considered. No firewire, please.

Price range figure about $300-$400 US or $400-$600 CAN.

Somebody at our head office recommended a three-year old 0.5 megapixel model which isn't produced anymore so any recommendations based on your actual experience is appreciated.

Very happy with my Olympus 490z which I believe is available for around $299us right now...
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

You are looking for, um, anything. Just about anything will suit you.

For that price though and with the 95a constraint you may want to look into the sony mavica that saves things to diskette (3.5 floppy).

As for low light shots nothing does well. I have an f707 by sony and it's the best in low light I have seen and it has a infra red mode but is $1000 american. In general low light and photography ain't friends but there are workarounds It sounds like the purpose for your camera will be for real estate, and anything shot indoors during daytime with a low/medium flash will turn out alright.

Tell me what you want to shoot in low light and I will tell you how.

That's a pretty good price range for digital cameras right now. I have a Fuji FinePix 1400 zoom and it is great. Wonderful pictures. Also, the do have the 2600 out right now which I hear is pretty magnificent as well.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Hey Mac...I'm real happy with the Nikon Coolpix 775. Check here for Buy.com's price and info. [347.95 US] <a href="http://www.us.buy.com/retail/computers/product.asp?loc=225&sku=10283040" target="_blank">web page</a>

It's not the best camera I've used, but it is the best for the price range. And it's USB.
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

It's a pity that Kodak don't make the DC280 anymore. Mine has served me very well for a year now It has USB AND serial port connection, which is useful for plugging into older boxes. The low light capability isn't wonderful though. A friend has a Canon Ixus which performs rather better in low light conditions. The high end Olympus and Minota Dimage models also do well in low light from what I've seen from personal experience using them, with the ability to set sensitivity to an equivalent 400ASA, compared with about 70ASA on my DC280.
    Brief comments about digicams I've had hands-on experience with:
    Fuji 1200, 2200: nice pix, construction feels flimsy.
    Canon Ixus : great pix, solid build, don't like the image transfer software. Been described as "digital jewellery".
    Kodak DC280 : excellent colour, simple image transfer, decent build quality, ease of use
    Minolta Dimage 7 : pricey, but worth it. Long optical zoom, lots of twiddling available for the expert user, very high resolution.
    Ricoh RD6000 : 2 megapixel, no optical zoom. Build quality OK, point and shoot simplicity
    Olympus Camedia 2500 : Lots of twiddling, excellent optics, handling, build quality.
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

Look into the Olympus 2000 or 4000 series cameras (including things like the 2020 and the 2040). I have a 2040Z and it works great. USB interface, SmartMedia, internal/external flash.

It is useful to have some prior photo experience, as you can set all the options like exposure, aperature size, white balance, etc. but you can also take it out of the box and start shooting.

TriState cameras is good (see the Olympus Section on the link below) but be warned - they will pressure you to buy accessories.

[url]http://www.tristatecamera.com/store.php3?sid=33rnwcrq&store=3&levels=0029&st=50[url]

i just recently purchased a canon powershot a10 for about 200 dollars (american). and i must say that i am very impressed with it.

i bought it <a href="http://www.mpsuperstore.com" target="_blank">here</a>.
    If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

A friend received the <a href="http://www.digital-camerastore.com/kodakdx3600.htm" target="_blank">Kodak DX 3600</a> for Christmas and loves it. I have been seriously considering purchasing it as well.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

I love my Kodak DC4800. I think they are around 380-480 American now. It has a hookup for an external flash. The screen was knocked for its performance in bright conditions but it really is nice in the dark. The controls are fully auto or manual. All you need to do is a little reading to figure out how to operate a "real" camera and you're set with this one. The nice thing about Kodak is that they still look and feel like the "real" thing. It's USB and you plug it into the wall to charge the battery or get a charger.

In my opinion, Olympus is the standard in digital cameras. So I wouldn't have posted except for one thing... I seem to remember reading a review at cnet.com that Poloroid cameras ACTAULLY have some really good outdoors quality pictures.

My advice would be to surf <a href="http://www.cnet.com" target="_blank">www.cnet.com</a> and plug in your requirements. They always have good camera reviews.
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}

So, what did you decide?

I didn't decide anything, the powers that be decided to do nothing. So I'm happily submitting my biweekly expense of $20 for film and developing instead.

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>I didn't decide anything, the powers that be decided to do nothing. So I'm happily submitting my biweekly expense of $20 for film and developing instead. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Bummer.

Believe it or not my boss asked me Friday to get one for our company. I thought I would check to see what you recommended. I think I will go with the Kodak DX 3600,
    <a href="http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10299344&loc=101&queryType=comp" target="_blank">buy.com</a>
    has it listed for $253.95 USD; but it is on backorder.

find some one to rent you a good digi camera for a day
    I know the place we are developing the films at is willing to rent us a Digi Fuji when we need it. They also have a new Digital printing system based on a IBM Inteli M-Pro
    If you are into Video Editing : <a href="http://www.highvid.com" target="_blank">www.HighVid.com</a>