hp USB digital drive not recognized

Thread: hp USB digital drive not recognized

hp USB digital drive not recognized

Hi,
    I bought a hp pavillion zv5000 notebook with a HP USB Digital Drive. The Drive works fine on my notebook and on the computers of my friends, but it does not work on my home PC (Intel(R) pentium4, Microsoft Windows XP Prof, version 2002, Service Pack 2, all updates). But if I use the USBpendrives of some of my friends, they work perfect on my PC.
    When I plug the drive in the USB port, a balloon is coming with 'unknown device'. The USB ports are working perfect, the drive is working perfect, but the combination not. Normally I should not need some program because it is XP.
    What can I do?
    All help is welcome.

The usual steps would be to see if your motherboard has any updated drivers and then to check the USB device manufacturer's website for known issues and incompatibilities.

It could be that your device is USB 2.0 compliant while your port is 1.1.

I have seen problems like that fixed just by using a different USB port. Have you tried that?

i don't find information that the device is USB2.0.
    And I've checked the 2 different USB ports already several times.
    I really don'n know what to do

When you plug the device in, does it appear in device manager? Do you get any kind of error message there?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Hi elke,

You might want to read up on HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario Notebook PCs - USB Device Troubleshooting

Lots of good info there.

NOTE: Most USB devices require USB device software drivers be installed before connecting the USB device to the computer. When installing a USB device always follow the documentation from the USB device manufacturer.
    HP Pavilion zv5000 Notebook PC Drivers & Downloads for WinXP. There are ROMPaqs available.

You can also find your HP Pavilion zv5000 Notebook PC: Manuals here. Looks like your HP USB Digital Drive manual is available for download. It just might have some good info in there to help you out.

Let us know how it all ends up...Good Luck!

Hi, thanks for your answers,

but I still have the problem.
    The hp digital drive manual is to basic (no problem solver items), the link for the notebook is very interesting, but for no use for my home PC from Intel (the device works on the notebook but not on my PC).

But there are some strange things:
    When I go to device manager, I can see my device with the name 'unknown device'. When I click on it, in the tabblad 'general', it says: "device status: there are no software drivers installed for this device".
    On the tabblad softwaredrivers, I ckick on the 2e button: stuurprogramma bijwerken (so to install a new version). When I let the PC to instal it automatically, it says: "there is no better software found, than the one that is already installed". (I think this is strange because at first the PC claims that tere is no software. and I am sure there is because winXP should have it, and other memory devices does work exept the one I have).
    Than I've tryed to choose it myself were the PC has to look for software. I ordered to look under c:\winsows\system32\drivers, but the PC claims there are no software drivers there.
    I tryed the same with connecting my notebook with my PC and ordered the PC to look in the same folder but on my notbook hard disc. But still he didn't found drivers.
    I also tryed to uninstall my 2 USB host controller, restart the PC with my device already plugged in. The 2 USB were automatically reinstalled, but still the message 'unknown device' and 'no software drivers'.

so I still have to cope with the driver problem
    help!