[RESOLVED] Stimon Error when exiting HP Precision Scan LTX V1.0 sftwe.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Stimon Error when exiting HP Precision Scan LTX V1.0 sftwe.

techspec2

Question Stimon Error when exiting HP Precision Scan LTX V1.0 sftwe.

I have an HP ScanJet 3400c scanner, hooked up to a PC running OEM Windows ME. I am now using the parallel connection. I installed the Precision Scan LTX V 1.0 software and followed HP's loading instructions. I then shutdown the pc, upon reboot windows me build a driver database and finds my scanner, device manager sees the scanner with no problems. I then launch the Precision Scan LTX v1.0 software, software comes up, I scan a photo, save it as either a .JPG, or a .BMP, I can also print this scanned photo with no problems, but as soon as I exit the software I receive the following error "Stimon has caused an error in (unknown), restart your computer". I cannot bring up a task list, or even warm boot from this point on, my system is hung solid, I must power the pc off. I checked msconfig and I have a check in the start up tab for stillimagmonitor (C:\windows\system\stimon.exe. I previously had this listed on a P4 Machine, I've since returned that machine, I've ended up with a Dell PIII, OS Win ME, I followed your instructions and deleted the scanjet folder from the registry, I also removed the software, and went into bios and changed the parallel port from ECP to EPP. I loaded the software again, rebooted and still have problems. I do have a printer hooked up to the scanner, it is an HP P1100. The printer works beautifully, this scanner does not though. One thing I didn't do though was disconnect the scanner then reconnect it after reloading the software, since I'm going parallel I didn't think I had to do this, does this make a difference? Also when I changed my parallel port in the Bios from ECP to EPP, Win ME found new hdwe, my printer, it wanted the cd rom to reload drivers. Again the printer is hooked up to the scanner, and the scanner is now hooked up via a parallel connection. I contacted HP, they wrote back stating point32.exe was the culprit, disable this from startup in msconfig. I did that, and after rebooting, my system worked for 3 minutes then hung on me, (Stimon not responding). This is a new Dell PIII, the machine works great other than this scanner, as soon as I hooked it up, nothing but problems, I've since uninstalled the software. Please any help would be appreciated, This scanner is ready to be thrown out the window, please help.
    [This message has been edited by techspec2 (edited December 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by techspec2 (edited December 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by techspec2 (edited December 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by techspec2 (edited December 31, 2000).]

darren drake

check for hpsj.vxd in your start up group or hp scan monitor.....otherwise uninstall the scanner, both hardware and software, remove the usb folder from H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / ENUM and hp precisionscan folder from H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / HEWLETT PACKARD...reboot and re-install the software first....delete all *.tmp folders and any folders from your temporary internet files folder...and re-insert the usb cable.....if this does not work then set your parallel port mode in your bios to epp and try the scanner by parallel ( belive it or not HP scanner work far better on parallel )...good luck.

p.s. do you have a printer connected to your scanner?????

[This message has been edited by darren drake (edited December 21, 2000).]