Unable to delete folder on Windows 2003 Server

Thread: Unable to delete folder on Windows 2003 Server

Unable to delete folder on Windows 2003 Server

I have a user created folder that I cannot delete for nothing. It states that the folder does not exist, cannot find the file specified. The folder is empty. I have tried safe mode command prompt and it gives me access denied. I tried Recovery Console, but since this folder exists on another volume other than C, recovery console denies access to the folder. It will not let me change attributes either. Any ideas as I am stumped...

... attach to another machine, take ownership and set permissions and delete?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    ... attach to another machine, take ownership and set permissions and delete?
    I have a similar issue on a SBServer 2000 server (Dell PE 1400scv). In my case I have a number of folders that I backed up and restored to a test folder off my tape backup. These folders are the user profile folders. Again these are restored profile folders tha t have been restored to a diff. location to test the tape back up. I just can't delete them. Thoughts? Chris P.

Have you checked ownership and set permissions? That ususally solves the problem for me...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I'm logged onto the server as the administrator. I presumed that gave me all the permission I needed but the error message I get is about not having permission. Would I have to logon as each individual to delete them? Chris

well, just because you're logged in as administrator doesn't mean you can access the folders. But with the admin account you can reclaim ownership as administrator and the set the permission on the folders and files. Now , I've never used SBServer 2000 so I don't know, but I assume it's based on NT technology just like other 2000 servers. If it's anything like XP, look at the folder properties and there should be a security tab. Go there, there is an advanced button, then go to ownership tab. Specifics, I can't recall as the security tab is not available in windows xp Home in normal mode. But once youve taken ownership you can then set permissions for Administrator to the files and folders. Remember to check any box talking about replacing ownership on any child objects also, if not it'll only work on the current selected folder and nothing in it.

Here you go:

http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/acls2.shtml

There's the ownership part...

Oh and the first part of this page talks about permissions:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../13w2kadc.mspx