Paritition Magic error Merging 2 Partitions

Thread: Paritition Magic error Merging 2 Partitions

Paritition problems

I have a maxtor 120gb IDE drive, I had it broken up into three partitions, C: D: E:

C: 20gb
    D: 90ish gb
    E: 3 gb

I wanted to merge them all together using PM, move some data around, than make some new partitions.

Unfortunately I got an error message during the process "Error 1520: External attribute header mismatch (EA3905F0)"

After the reboot "drivemapper" popped up and was supposed to move all the data from D: to a C: folder that I specified, unfortunately it didn't work, and the folder is empty and there is no D: drive recognized by windows.

I'm using PM verision 8.01 from 3/03

PM reports:

Local Disk C: - NTFS 20002 size 18154mb used 1848 unused primary
    (*)extended - 97237 size 0 used 97237 unused primary
    (*)unallocated 97237 size 0 used 0 unused logical

The extended has options to delete or resize/move parition

The unallocated has options to create or "undelete" partition, but when i choose undelete it says the only parition available to undelete is a NTFS partition that's only 2195 mb listed as logical. I'm thinking that's the E: partition.

I had getdataback for NTFS around because I had a IBM deskstar take a big crap a few years back, so i used that and as soon as I start it up, it can see the D: partition and says "MISSING SIGNATURE IN PARTITION TABLE etc..." and reports D: as a DOS extended LBA.

Getdataback is able to recover almost all the data, but it's 99% unuseable. I have a strong feeling the data is still there anyone have any ideas?

I also tried ONtrack Easyrecovery, but it didn't do much to help.

PM website tells me to use CHKDSK /F on the partition, however I don't see how that could help, or get my data back.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ic&svy=&csm=no

So basically windows can't see D:\, and I can't get to my data (which is hopefully still there), any help is apprecaited
    Last edited by junfan; October 28th, 2004 at 03:19 AM.

Welcome...

I had an issue sorta like yours and I used Acronis Disk partition recovery and was able to pull data from the damaged partition. I used an extra pc [windows 2000] attached the problem drive as a slave.. With the above software I was able to recover data. I think you can download a trial version. Hope this helps..
    http://www.acronis.com/products/disk...-recovery.html

Quote Originally Posted by timothyj98
    I had an issue sorta like yours and I used Acronis Disk partition recovery and was able to pull data from the damaged partition. I used an extra pc [windows 2000] attached the problem drive as a slave.. With the above software I was able to recover data. I think you can download a trial version. Hope this helps..
    http://www.acronis.com/products/disk...-recovery.html

Thanks, i'll look into that program asap.