Mass Storage Controller in Device Manager

Thread: Mass Storage Controller in Device Manager

Mass Storage Controller in Device Manager

Hi got an issue here
    ive reinstalled windows many times since ive had this laptop and ive always had this (see pic) in the device manager. when i attempt to reinstall and search for drivers windows fails to find any

this is an acer travelmate 4000 running windows xp media center edition 2005 with sp2, all drivers are installed including intel inf, the acer website has no drivers for it

thanks in advance
    http://www.kaysdomain.com

do you have anything attached to it like a usb flash drive or a usb printer with a card reader in it or something?

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/for...d=3394#results

heh link doesn't work , I just searched for notebook then travelmate 4000 and it has a card reader driver.... I assume you have that installed?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

If you've installed and updated and everything else, it sounds like a BIOS problem which may or may not cause any problems for you. Does everything else work OK?

You might check this Flash BIOS v3A10 - ATI Systems ONLY (dated 03-18-05)http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/for...s=bios&pupv=pu

Or, this Flash BIOS v3A10 - Intel Video ONLY (also dated 03-18-05)
    http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/for...s=bios&pupv=pu

hth
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

there is nothing attached to the lappy at all; and i dont have the card reader in this model, i believe they are sub models of the tm 4000; flashing the bios will probably solve it, but id rather not take that chance, this is my only computer and i need it for school and i dont want to risk something going wrong with the flash

the mass storage controller in device manager doesn't cause any problems or lack of functionality so i think im going to let it be

Have you at least tried the card reader driver? Just because you don't have one, doesn't mean they didn't put in the equipment... I've had a few laptops through here with similar things... do you know the exact model number? that can really help... contact the manufacturer and give them the S/N and they should be able to give you an exact model number. Once I did that for my compaq 700 laptop (which turned out to be a 715US model) everything started making a bit more sense...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

hey your right! i tryed the card reader driver even though i dont have one and it installed to my surprise. the 'question' device is gone and now this is there, i guess it doesn't do anything but windows knows whats there now

thanks again