CONTRIBUTE: SP2 Problems and fixes - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: CONTRIBUTE: SP2 Problems and fixes

are there any features that are checked in IE that would cause me to try adn login into my normal accounts to pay a bill and the web page just comes up blank ? It says done in lower left hand corner with no error but its just all blank.

XP SP2 and Unreal 2003

I've had no problems at all with SP2, with one exception.

Unreal 2003 now hangs randomly - screen freezes but can still hear some sound. CTRL-ALT-DEL and END PROCESS gets the desktop back again, but I have no idea what is causing this. Have added UT2003.exe to the Exception list for Memory Protection, but problem still there. Will re-install this evening and see if that fixes it.

Oh, as a side note, I don't use UT2003 online, though I do have broadband, so it shouldn't be the Windows Firewall causing the problem. I added it to the Windows Firewall list of allowed programs anyhow, just in case, with no improvement.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Gav

EDIT: Ignore this question!! Its not SP2 causing the problem - it was my PS2 gamepad adaptor locking up the game - should have realised this as I covered this problem in a post ages ago!!!
    Last edited by Gav; August 27th, 2004 at 07:57 AM.

WinXP SP2 a tad borked on AMD64 chips

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...048#post514048

XP SP2, Word 2000 rtf files, and font replacement

Hi all,

This is definitely odd. Recently installed SP2 to an otherwise well-behaved and patched WinXP Pro SP1 machine running Office 2000 Pro. No obvious issues, but two: Word 2000 took AGES to open any .doc files that were in reality rtf format, or indeed to open any rtf files; yet WordPad could open the files in question without a glitch or delay so the files themselves seemed OK.

In Excel 2000, the strange behaviour that crept us was that every time I would change anything in Tahoma font to a bold or underline character format, I would get a system hang for about 30 sec. This only happened on the first bold or underline command in a given Excel session - afterward it was fine.

Weird, huh? Did Office 2000 'detect and repair' to replace any corrupted files (and the Office install is fully patched up to SP3). No change. Looked in Windows Fonts folder and found to my astonishment that Times New Roman and Tahoma Bold had been changed to new versions (last mod date 7/17/2004, same as several other SP2 files) so I assume this change came in with SP2 - AND that Excel 2000 doesn't play nicely with the new Tahoma Bold font. Can't seem to put the old one back - do I need to do this in 'safe mode' so that Windows doesn't 'protect' the font from replacement?

As far as the Word 2000 rtf behaviour is concerned, MS KB turned up a report on rtf converters being disabled in XP and gave regedits to modify WordPad; yet my rtf files open perfectly in WordPad without this modification.

Comments, suggestions, advice welcome... the issues are relatively minor but are somewhat annoying.

They want u to upgrade to Office 2003

Odd little annoyance since installing sp2. When coming out of standby, I get a balloon pop-up from the system tray that a usb device has exceeded the power capacity of the hub (or something similar - I'm not at the machine now). I click reset and all is fine. The strange thing is that I have no usb devices connected that are powered from the hub - both are on a/c adapters (printer and scanner).
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Oh, I completely agree. But they suck :-P MS actually did a pretty good job IMHO with Office 2000 - pretty stable, not too much crazy feature bloat, does everything I need it to. Had no interest in upgrading to Office XP, not much interest in 2003 either. Sigh. So much for the old idea of backward compatibility :-(

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    They want u to upgrade to Office 2003

Just a thought - is your usb hub 1.1 while your device is 2.0? Had this problem putting a usb flash drive in a front port on my home PC (the front port is supposedly connected to USB2.0 pins on the mainboard but I don't know whether the front port has the right cabling for 2.0...) - windows xp would complain about lack of power, but there was no problem if I put the flash drive in one of the usb2.0 ports at the back of the ATX case (hardwired into the mainboard). MS did release a patch or update for full USB2.0 compatibility at some point between sp1 and sp2; any chance that the machine didn't have that patch prior to sp2?

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Odd little annoyance since installing sp2. When coming out of standby, I get a balloon pop-up from the system tray that a usb device has exceeded the power capacity of the hub (or something similar - I'm not at the machine now). I click reset and all is fine. The strange thing is that I have no usb devices connected that are powered from the hub - both are on a/c adapters (printer and scanner).

Quote Originally Posted by invisionable
    Just a thought - is your usb hub 1.1 while your device is 2.0? Had this problem putting a usb flash drive in a front port on my home PC (the front port is supposedly connected to USB2.0 pins on the mainboard but I don't know whether the front port has the right cabling for 2.0...) - windows xp would complain about lack of power, but there was no problem if I put the flash drive in one of the usb2.0 ports at the back of the ATX case (hardwired into the mainboard). MS did release a patch or update for full USB2.0 compatibility at some point between sp1 and sp2; any chance that the machine didn't have that patch prior to sp2?
    hi all
    just to answer your quote about USB 1.1 & USB 2.0
    you can put a device that is USB 1.1 in a port that is USB 2.0 and it will work perfectly fine USB 2.0 is backwards compatible its SP2 thats causing problems
    What dont kill you only makes you stronger!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    They still want to draw power until they figure out they already have it - 'behaviour by design'

Note for TechZ - I posted a link showing what applications Billy Boy seems to think won't work with SP2 on some other thread somewhere, here it is again since I didn't spot it in this thread,
    Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer - perhaps that might prove useful for folks if you edited your top post to include it ?

& then a more general comment .. I'm confus-ed as to what your intent with this is ? All these programs (& a few more Billy hasn't realised about yet) need fixing by their writers - if you have issues after applying sp2 surely that means take it off or don't use a non compliant bit of s/w - all this 'bodge it' approach may just lead to folks having yet more issues ..

btw if you are having trouble with M$ Office or components of it, post sp2, its time for a de/re-install of that, the infamous MSI issue again.

Forgot, doing it as we speak!

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Forgot, doing it as we speak!
    Fair play .. got you a wotpp though ( & me ! ta ! )..

Thanks confus-ed. Actually did a format c:. clean install of slipstreamed xpsp2, clean install of M$ Office 2000. Same issue with weird rtf conversion performance and weird hangup when converting Tahoma font to Tahoma Bold - can't understand why m$ decided to put new version of the Tahoma font into the windows fonts folder - since when could a font file pose a 'security risk'?? ;-) or a buffer overrun...

so it's probably not the MSI but thanks for the thought. Time to give OpenOffice a whirl perhaps.

btw if you are having trouble with M$ Office or components of it, post sp2, its time for a de/re-install of that, the infamous MSI issue again.[/QUOTE]

Ah so my btw was 'no damned good' ? - sorry, can't please all of the folks all of the time ! If you are determined to sort it - perhaps open a fresh thread with all of your symptoms ? (better label it as an sp2 issue to keep Techz 'happy' !?! )